Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Does Natural gut "expire"? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461705)

Doctor of Tennis 04-25-2013 02:39 PM

Does Natural gut "expire"?
 
How long can you store natural gut unused sealed in a package? Do they ever "go bad" after a certain amount of time? like 3, 5, or 10 years? thanks

scotus 04-25-2013 03:47 PM

If you keep them in room temperature or cool temp, it should last you a few decades at the least.

Some posters have reported having played with gut that had been installed in a wooden racquet from the 70's and it still played great.

With today's coating technology and preservatives, high-quality gut can last you decades. No doubt about it.

pvaudio 04-25-2013 04:17 PM

Just like with anything organic, no light, no heat, no moisture, and it'll last as long as you need it. In other words, a cool, dry place out of sunlight. In other words, a closet works fine. :)

McLovin 04-25-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7368118)
If you keep them in room temperature or cool temp, it should last you a few decades at the least.

Some posters have reported having played with gut that had been installed in a wooden racquet from the 70's and it still played great.

With today's coating technology and preservatives, high-quality gut can last you decades. No doubt about it.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...hp?p=7221144#5

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...hp?p=7221144#8

We really do need to stop repeating ourselves...

sundaypunch 04-25-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7368311)

Then there would be two new threads a day here, each with three posts.

scotus 04-26-2013 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7368311)

True, but in all fairness, this question has been raised only a handful of times.

The question "Which string produces the most amount of spin?" on the other hand....

mikeler 04-26-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7368738)
True, but in all fairness, this question has been raised only a handful of times.

The question "Which string produces the most amount of spin?" on the other hand....

So which string produces the most...oh darnit. :)

McLovin 04-26-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7368972)
So which string produces the most...oh darnit. :)

That's easy. Its Big Hitter Red 7 Plasma ALU Tetradecagon RPM Bite 3S Spiky Pro Tour 22g...

kazamzaa 04-26-2013 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7368980)
That's easy. Its Big Hitter Red 7 Plasma ALU Tetradecagon RPM Bite 3S Spiky Pro Tour 22g...

True! I use it at 22.3 lbs and I hit around the post every shot! It's not just the side spin. The topspin shots bounce right out of sight. Backspins bounce back at me with a speed of at least 120 mp/h.

Rabbit 04-26-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7368980)
That's easy. Its Big Hitter Red 7 Plasma ALU Tetradecagon RPM Bite 3S Spiky Pro Tour 22g...

the important question there is: What color does it come in?

mikeler 04-26-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7368980)
That's easy. Its Big Hitter Red 7 Plasma ALU Tetradecagon RPM Bite 3S Spiky Pro Tour 22g...

Hello Mr. McLovin, I've searched far and wide on Tennis Warehouse for this string and I just can't seem to find it.

pvaudio 04-26-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7368980)
That's easy. Its Big Hitter Red 7 Plasma ALU Tetradecagon RPM Bite 3S Spiky Pro Tour 22g...

Personally, I prefer BHR7PALUTRPMB3SSPT 20g. Lasts 30mins instead of 34mins.

McLovin 04-26-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7369196)
Personally, I prefer BHR7PALUTRPMB3SSPT 20g. Lasts 30mins instead of 34mins.

Ha! I love that it now has an acronym, so it is easier to remember...

Also, have you tried it in 20L?

mikeler 04-26-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 7369196)
Personally, I prefer BHR7PALUTRPMB3SSPT 20g. Lasts 30mins instead of 34mins.

Really rolls off the tongue.

JT_2eighty 04-26-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7369286)
Ha! I love that it now has an acronym, so it is easier to remember...

Also, have you tried it in 20L?

You guys are hilarious!

But seriously, 21.5L is the best gauge, everyone knows this.

kazamzaa 04-26-2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT_2eighty (Post 7369772)
You guys are hilarious!

But seriously, 21.5L is the best gauge, everyone knows this.

Yes of course. But could someone please tell me that if I do a natural gut hybrid with this awesome string should the poly be in the mains or the crosses? And also what tension?
By the way.. I hit groundies like Nadal, but my serve is like Federer's. If that helps with your suggestions.

JT_2eighty 04-26-2013 12:55 PM

We have similar games it seems. Do you also have Edberg-esque volleys like me?

McLovin 04-26-2013 05:04 PM

I'm waiting for the BHR7PALUTRPMB3SSPT Soft.

Doctor of Tennis 04-26-2013 05:05 PM

the other thread's title asked a different question and I would have never found it.

Thanks to those that actually answered the question

coloskier 04-27-2013 06:09 AM

I've got three Jack Kramer Autographs strung with VS gut back in the 70's that have still only 15% of their tension.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse