Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nadia: A good friend who's being jealous of me playing Tennis (Video) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461715)

Stergios 04-25-2013 04:20 PM

Nadia: A good friend who's being jealous of me playing Tennis (Video)

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if that's the right category to post this.

As you may know I'm playing Tennis every day as part of my "Project NTRP 0 to 5 in one year".

I have a few friends who are being jealous of me (Ok, that's not entirely true, they are just happy for me).

One of them is my very close and good friend Nadia.

Nadia is an active person with a diverse background of Ballet and Football.

She is now working in the UK and visits Greece as often as she can.

She had 15 hours of lessons so far and never played by her self. She is really vibrant and I'm proud of her progress. So I thought of sharing a video I took of her a couple of days ago. So, you can tell me what you think.

By the way Nadia is sleeping right now and has no clue about this video! I'm going to post it on Facebook as well! Hehe!

Enjoy the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUWs_1IaT_8

Lukhas 04-25-2013 05:54 PM

I dunno what to say. Dunno if she'll like it. I wouldn't like to suddenly have a video of me hanging on the web without knowing. :lol: Then I have nothing to say. No one needs to put b*llshit about pronation, surpination, straight-arm/double bend or anything. it's not funny when you are at your first lesson and someone insists of filling your head with theoretical stuff you never heard of and should be doing anyway because someone told you it was the right thing to do.

Just tell her to be more relaxed in her wind-up and throughout the stroke. Nothing more from me. Unfortunately, telling people to be relaxed has often the reverse effect since they often try too hard to relax and get frustrated... So in fact, I don't really know what to say!

Cheetah 04-25-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7368374)
I dunno what to say. Dunno if she'll like it. I wouldn't like to suddenly have a video of me hanging on the web without knowing. :lol: Then I have nothing to say. No one needs to put b*llshit about pronation, surpination, straight-arm/double bend or anything. it's not funny when you are at your first lesson and someone insists of filling your head with theoretical stuff you never heard of and should be doing anyway because someone told you it was the right thing to do.

Just tell her to be more relaxed in her wind-up and throughout the stroke. Nothing more from me. Unfortunately, telling people to be relaxed has often the reverse effect since they often try too hard to relax and get frustrated... So in fact, I don't really know what to say!

You should have said nothing then. Your post was annoying and negative for no reason.

OP,

Nice video. Thanks for posting it. She's very good for her first 15 hours. Nice rhs.

JoeR 04-25-2013 07:13 PM

I find this to be more than a bit creepy.

But you know, whatever floats your boat.

Cheetah 04-25-2013 07:15 PM

lol. when i first posted i had only seen the first minute or so. after I watched the whole video the word 'creepy' also entered my mind.:)

Lukhas 04-25-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetah (Post 7368411)
You should have said nothing then. Your post was annoying and negative for no reason.

In which way saying "I personally wouldn't have liked it" is negative? That's a personal opinion. You want me to do what, be in awe? Of course the video is well mounted, of course she's on the "right", if it can be called like this, way. Of course she isn't doing anything wrong on that court. I'm not bashing anyone, I just said "It's debatable" whether he should have or not posted it on the internet without her knowing.

DavaiMarat 04-25-2013 07:19 PM

wow guys...ease up a bit.
Innocent till proven guilty. I'm more incline to think he's someone who wants to promote his project rather then just flaunt some student of his.

Put it this way, if it was of some 45 year old man or a little junior would it still be creepy?

Hey I'm not saying I know the reason he posted this but reserve judgement until you know more.
The girl obviously knew she was being filmed. From the looks of it the camera man was at least semi-professional or better probably shot with a Canon 5D mark II or better.

I video tape my wife and people coach all the time. I don't share it but I don't seem the harm in it but of course he should ask the girl.

Cheetah 04-25-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7368478)
In which way saying "I personally wouldn't have liked it" is negative? That's a personal opinion. You want me to do what, be in awe? Of course the video is well mounted, of course she's on the "right", if it can be called like this, way. Of course she isn't doing anything wrong on that court. I'm not bashing anyone, I just said "It's debatable" whether he should have or not posted it on the internet without her knowing.

yup. i posted after just watching a few secs of her hitting thinking 'how nice. a vid of his friend just starting to learn tennis'. so i thought you were just trolling and complaining about how ppl always post about pronation etc etc etc. my bad.

Povl Carstensen 04-25-2013 10:30 PM

Nadia is sweet and doing a good effort. Perhaps she should pull a bit more and push a bit less. I guess it is in the "relax" department, and getting the body more involved. But I did not hit the ball as well after 15 hours I think.

Lukhas 04-25-2013 10:42 PM

I wonder how many days those 15 hours represent. You know, if that's one hour a day, stuff like this.

@Cheetah: Glad to have cleared off the misunderstanding. I just though that people shouldn't get too specific about strokes at the beginning. Because I think when you do it too early, it takes some enjoyment from the game. Then, the more you become involved, the more you get interested in the specificities of the game itself. Just my thoughts.

gmatheis 04-26-2013 02:01 AM

#1 Nadia is a cutie! Probably not the comment you're looking for but what girl doesn't like a compliment right? :)

#2 For 15 hours of total tennis I think she's doing really well. I think some attention to her footwork will help her at this point, get her to start her splitsteps.

#3 not creepy at all .... It was nice to see someone so new to the game really enjoying themself on the court.

Best of luck to you both!

lpth 04-26-2013 03:29 AM

She has the right racquet to begin, the court looks perfect, the coach knows what he's doing, and by looking at the video she learned all the fundamentals.
So to start could it be any better than this? sincerely I don't think so.
Jealous are probably many rec players all over the world that cannot learn tennis in these quality conditions.

Moz 04-26-2013 03:48 AM

Thanks for the video Stergios.

I had a good Tommy.

mightyrick 04-26-2013 04:07 AM

Going to post it on facebook, too? Sorry... it seems a little creepy. Never put a video up of someone without their permission first.

Govnor 04-26-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moz (Post 7368887)
Thanks for the video Stergios.

I had a good Tommy.

LOL. Brilliant.

sureshs 04-26-2013 05:25 AM

She seems to be "slapping" the ball. She needs to hit more smoothly from low to high.

sureshs 04-26-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeR (Post 7368469)
I find this to be more than a bit creepy.

But you know, whatever floats your boat.

Let us just say OP seems to really "enjoy" teaching the woman

Nellie 04-26-2013 06:24 AM

Wow - excellent video quality.

syke 04-26-2013 07:47 AM

I think the OP is secretly in love with Nadia...

sureshs 04-26-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syke (Post 7369250)
I think the OP is secretly in love with Nadia...

That is really the point of the video I think