Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dunlop Bio 200 Tour real weight (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461780)

claub 04-26-2013 09:59 AM

Dunlop Bio 200 Tour real weight

Please post weights of your Bio 200 Tour racquets!
I am trying to find out if a 7g difference is normal, and want to know what to expect when I buy more.

I bought 2 used over e.b.a.y last year and they were 7g apart 355g and 362g (with overgrip and no dampener. a dampener should not add more than 2,3g overall)

Then I bought 2 more new this year and to my surprise they had the same difference in weight. They are 354g and 360g... almost the same diffrence.
I am thinking they are from different batch of production. Maybe one from the beggining of the manufacturing of the Biomimetic line.
In way, I guess I was lucky because now I have 2 matched pairs, same racquet though diffrent in weight.

Both pairs are also differet in swingweight, something that cand be felt pretty easily (the one lighter being with arround 5-10g lighter in swingweight)

So I am trying to find out the normal weight of this racquet because I would like to buy more and it would be nice to know what to expect.

Thank you.

TimothyO 04-26-2013 10:23 AM

I've been in a similar situation and the best option is to decide which variation you prefer of the ones you've already bought and then try to find similar ones for sale. I know that's not always possible but it's well worth the extra effort and, in some situations, the extra cost if having to pay full retail.

The problem is that even if someone posts the specs of THEIR individual frame it is probably very different from the next frame you purchase.

claub 04-27-2013 06:03 AM

Anyone that has one or a bunch of them, just please tell me, each, how much it weighs?

claub 05-01-2013 02:19 AM

bump!
bump

TimothyO 05-01-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claub (Post 7371084)
Anyone that has one or a bunch of them, just please tell me, each, how much it weighs?

You already have that information: TW weighs several models and takes an average when they post their specs in the retail section of the web site.

From that average you'll see variations of +/-6 grams and up to a point or two in balance in most cases. Swingweight can vary several points too +/-.

So, look up the TW retail specs. Add and subtract 6 grams to get a potential range of values, add and subtract 2 points to get a range for balance, and know that any frame you purchase blind can fall within that range. It's really that simple.

The only way to get exactly what you want is to have the frame measured prior to purchase.

There is no "real weight" for any given racquet model. It doesn't exist. Even the supposedly zero tolerance for Pacific racquets isn't quite that accurate. TWU specs are based on a single racquet. Compare TWU data on Pacific frames to the retail data and you'll see variations.

claub 05-04-2013 02:13 AM

Sorry but I think you are wrong.
6-7g is not a normal variation.
I have many other Dunlop and Wilson racquets and same racquets are all in -/+3g range from eachother.

Besides the Dunlop bio 200 Tours I have 2 are in the 355g (354g and 355g) range and 2 in the 362g range (361g and 362g).
These can't be a coincidence.

I opened the buttcaps of each and the havier one has a different foam filling pattern, and it also feels different (a bit more muted).

I just expect dunlop 200 bio tour users to tell me for example
I have 2 one is 354g , one 353g (without dampener, with overgrip)
mine is 357g
mine 355g
mine is 354g.
That is all!

I can't believe there are no 200 tour users out there who weigh their racquets.

OzNQc 05-04-2013 11:10 PM

Mate! there is variation...

LoL

Timo is right on the money there ;)

Your thread should be called "please post weights of your bio 200 tour....."

I'll measure mine but will not read too much into it.

You already know that your pair are close so you already have your range!

Also, there are other factors at play like SW, bp, blah, blah, blah so even if you had the racquets in this range, you could have other variation.

Nonetheless, you have to find out how much variation that you can tolerate in reality, i.e., getting on the court with the different variables ;)

Have fun dude!

claub 05-05-2013 11:49 PM

Well ... then post some weights! PLEASE
and if around 50% of them are over 360g then definitely I am wrong.
If most of them are around 355g max then it means I've got something.

I've read enough in this forums to know that 3,4g is a big variation for the same racquet.
Dunlop Quality Control can't have same racquets with 7g difference, and me to have not 1 but 2 of them like this.
I am thinking this havier form of the racquet has somthing to do with their initial testing, production of the racquet.

I mention again that my racquets not only differ in weight but also in their inside handle composition (none were custom modified)
First pair was boght used, secon pair new (with grip seal).

rlau 05-06-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claub (Post 7385675)
Sorry but I think you are wrong.
6-7g is not a normal variation.

Unfortunately I think you are wrong. From what I've read, +/- 7 grams is an accepted tolerance range within the racquet manufacturing industry.

Some brands are better than others in keeping the differences between manufactured batches small.

I think it's a case of bad luck if you buy two frames of the same model whose specs are 6-7 grams apart (I'm even ignoring differences in balance and SW here). So I guess you should either try to sell the frame you don't like and buy a new or used one to replace and hope it better matches your other frame, or have your frames matched by a knowledgeable racquet customizer (if possible).

claub 05-07-2013 09:44 AM

bump
bump
bump

OzNQc 05-09-2013 06:18 AM

Here you go! Identical weight!

biomimetic 200 tour bat #1 (stock) = 348 g

biomimetic 200 tour bat #2 (stock) = 348 g

stock = 4 3/8 dunlop gecko grip and prestrung with dunlop silk 16 at unknown tension.

Great QC here with respect to weight :)

Both bats must have been sitting on the shelf for 2 years lol See comment related to this below on the sticker

biomimetic 200 tour bat #2 (stock) had the big dunlop sticker put on the grip and not on the plastic wrapping = wtf??? Fast forward 2 yrs... I buy it and cannot get all the adhesive/sticker off because the glue has been on there for such a long time. Anyway, this either happened at the factory or someone has actually used the bat and given it back to the store. The store has had to put a new sticker on but f'd up and put it on the handle. They then plastic wrapped the handle to make it look unused. Strangely, the dunlop logo on the strings did not appear to have faded indicating previous usage. Then again, they could have just repainted it on to make it look unused.

biomimetic 200 tour bat #1 (stock)

session 1
- 20 min groundstrokes only on an indoor hardcourt
- I could not swing the bat fast enough
- I made alot of unforced errors and coughed up alot of short balls
- I really disliked the stringjob

session 2
- 40 min service session on an outdoor hardcourt
- I could not swing the bat fast enough initially but once I loosened up the swing, the flat serves were very heavy and fast
- I did not generate alot of spin especially slice on serve
- Ireally disliked the stringjob

session 3
- social mixed doubles session on an outdoor hardcourt
- I could not swing the bat fast enough. I tried to muscle the ball which is a no-no! Hence, I made alot of unforced errors and hit some slow mo balls lol

Session 4
- outdoor hardcourt
- 20 min groundstrokes. I am a weakling lol I could not get enough swingspeed and coughed up quite a few short balls, shankers and slower balls. As expected, I got punished! However, there was some nice spin on the groundies and there were a few occasions where I was on the verge of outright blasting the ball when I got my swing right :)
- 10 min of service. Again, I am a weakling LoL I ended up pulling out my Volkl tour 10 VE MP bats at the same weight but less swingweight (approx. 314) and 11 pts HL. Things turned right back in my favour :)

biomimetic 200 tour bat #2 (stock)

session 1
- this session occurred at the same time as session 2 for biomimetic 200 tour bat #1 (stock)
- 10 min service session on an outdoor hardcourt
- I could not swing the bat fast enough initially but once I loosened up the swing, the flat serves were very heavy and fast. The bat felt faster through the air than bat#1
- I did not generate alot of spin on serve
- I really disliked the stringjob

There you go......

More to come.......

claub 05-11-2013 07:15 AM

Thanks OzNQc, for your post.
That means your racquets are arround 353g with an overgrip, very close to my pair of lower weight racquets 355g.

I need at least 2,3 more inputs from you guys.
Common!
Quote:

Originally Posted by OzNQc (Post 7397131)
biomimetic 200 tour bat #1 (stock) = 348 g

biomimetic 200 tour bat #2 (stock) = 348 g

stock = 4 3/8 grip and prestrung with dunlop silk at unknown tension.

Both bats swing the same!

Great QC here :)

Had a hit with them tonight for the 3rd time ever.

I am a weakling lol I could not get enough swingspeed and coughed up quite a few short balls, shankers and slower balls. As expected, I got punished!

I ended up pulling out my Volkl tour 10 VE MP bats at the same weight but less swingweight (approx. 314) and things turned right back in my favour :)

claub 05-13-2013 04:24 AM

sorry but need other replies
pls help

Thepowerofchoice 05-15-2013 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claub (Post 7369607)
Please post weights of your Bio 200 Tour racquets!
I am trying to find out if a 7g difference is normal, and want to know what to expect when I buy more.

I bought 2 used over e.b.a.y last year and they were 7g apart 355g and 362g (with overgrip and no dampener. a dampener should not add more than 2,3g overall)

Then I bought 2 more new this year and to my surprise they had the same difference in weight. They are 354g and 360g... almost the same diffrence.
I am thinking they are from different batch of production. Maybe one from the beggining of the manufacturing of the Biomimetic line.
In way, I guess I was lucky because now I have 2 matched pairs, same racquet though diffrent in weight.

Both pairs are also differet in swingweight, something that cand be felt pretty easily (the one lighter being with arround 5-10g lighter in swingweight)

So I am trying to find out the normal weight of this racquet because I would like to buy more and it would be nice to know what to expect.

Thank you.

My 3 Bio 200 Tour are all 355 grams and 7 pt HL (strung). But the specs listed on TW is 5 pt HL.

They are 360 grams 8 pt HL with ruberband and 1 overgrip included.

LeeD 05-15-2013 07:19 PM

My 2 Mfil200's are close to 342.
My lone Aero200 is right at 352.

claub 05-18-2013 07:37 AM

thanks
anyone else?

OzNQc 05-19-2013 03:24 AM

same weight but big difference in swingweight

Here is some food for thought related to my previous posts!

I restrung biomimetic 200 tour #1 and biomimetic 200 tour #2.

biomimetic 200 tour #1
- I put 2 Babolat pro tour overgrips over stock gecko replacement grip.
- full bed of Kirschbaum Spiky Shark 16g
- SW = 338. SW was measured 5 times on a rossignol machine at the stringers shop in the same session as bat #2
-weight = 361 g

biomimetic 200 tour #2
- stock gecko replacement grip.
- Kirschbaum Spiky Shark 16g mains and Gosen OGSM 17g crosses
- SW = 317. SW was measured 5 times on a rossignol machine at the stringers shop in the same session as bat#1.
- weight = 348 g. Interestingly, this is the same weight as the stock racquet which came prestrung with Dunlop silk 16g.

This very big difference in SW between the 2 bats has left us scratching our heads. We could remove the grips on bat#1 and install the same string in either bat to remeasure the SW of both bats, however, we think it is highly unlikely that the higher SW on bat #1 was due to the full bed of poly and 2 overgrips! In fact

The difference in SW has made me think about one of my initial post which has now been re-edited!

Another difference which I can feel on both bats is the balance point in comparison to my usual bats! I can swing my modified volkl Tour 10 V-engine MP bats fine. They have these measured specs 348 g, 10 -11 pts HL SW 313-315 on a babolat machine.

Claub! There you go..... you can get all the weights in the world but there are other parameters at play!!!!

Nonetheless, I cannot wait to have a hit with the new stringjobs.

claub 05-20-2013 05:51 AM

You are right,
and I take everything into account in a racquet,
especially the swingweight which to me is the most important (it has to be at least 350 to really have a good feel of the racquet in swing)
I measured all my 4 racquets swingweight using TW method (done it with other racquets as well, in previous years, so I am pretty good at it)

the heavier ones are 350, 355
the light ones are 340 each.

I could feel this small difference before the measurements and I even estimated it quite right.

I dunno what to say about that 315 of one of yours but it just seams pretty impossible.

OzNQc 05-21-2013 05:59 AM

Impossibility is now reality ;)

Claub!

Impossibility is now reality lol

Thanks for your info on SW too ;)