Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1 or 2 hand BH? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461821)

MikeHitsHard93 04-26-2013 05:00 PM

1 or 2 hand BH?

I am in a predicament. I know how to hit a one hander AND a two hander, but I do not know which one I should finally commit to. I have equal ability level with each, but I would like to know what you all think on this. Thanks! :)

GoudX 04-26-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7370357)
I am in a predicament. I know how to hit a one hander AND a two hander, but I do not know which one I should finally commit to. I have equal ability level with each, but I would like to know what you all think on this. Thanks! :)

Either is fine, but you should really commit to training one or the other.

Work out what feels more natural for your game:
-If you are a risk taker or like to move into the court use the 1hbh as it offers more power and spin on the attack.
-If you like to grind out points or tend to stay back use the 2hbh as it offers more consistency

If you want a choice on the backhand side, learn to slice aggressively as well.

Mick 04-26-2013 05:46 PM

i play better with a 2hbh but if I could play the same with a 1hbh, i would play with a 1hbh. It just looks more fluid imo.

BU-Tennis 04-26-2013 06:19 PM

I agree with GoudX, the one hander lends itself to playing an aggressive approach game where you're taking the ball early and coming in often. But, for most people the two hander is going to be your best option.

MikeHitsHard93 04-26-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks guys. I think I am going to keep the 1 hander just because I can get more topspin, more power, it feels less constricted, and it just looks cool haha! I will keep the 2 hander for blocking returns or hitting high backhands that need a flat solid hit.

pingu 04-26-2013 07:13 PM

I think you made a right choice. Wish I had a 2 hander to use as backup like yours.

MikeHitsHard93 04-26-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pingu (Post 7370556)
I think you made a right choice. Wish I had a 2 hander to use as backup like yours.

I forced myself to learn a two hander because my 1 hander wasn't reliable yet. After I learned and got good at the two hander, my 1 hander started getting much better. So now I use both depending on the circumstances. My playing partner tonight commented on it actually. He said that you don't see that very often and it's useful in some ways, but it also causes more thinking.

scottydc5 04-26-2013 07:29 PM

I use a 2HB, but really wish I had the 1HB more readily available. I have tried and tried, but I guess I am too used to a 2hb that the 1hb just doesn't feel right and no matter how much I train to use it, it just doesn't feel normal.

Lukhas 04-26-2013 07:55 PM

I didn't play tennis for few years. When I played again, I ditched my two hander. Better feel and better attacking possibilities that matches my aggressive playing, going for short points. Although I still don't have a slice (haha).

In fact, the main reason was that I had forgot how to hit a two hander. I'm still not comfortable with one handed returns on heavy serves (when I don't simply turn around the backhand to hit a forehand instead) or heavy balls at net so I tend to block them back with two hands (despite my racquet pallet showing, no grip longer than what's useful for one hand).