Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal/Djokovic at the Olympics (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461840)

MichaelNadal 04-27-2013 12:15 AM

Nadal/Djokovic at the Olympics

Talking about an underrated, almost never talked about match! Stumbled across these highlights tonight and I have to say, this is easily one of their best matches. Look at how hard they are hitting. The court is pretty fast too, as is Nadal. Man could he move back then! Enjoy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPoK...e_gdata_player

Lovely_Bone 04-27-2013 01:31 AM

Cool match. I wish Nadal still played like that. Good ole' vinatge Nadal. He's great now, but I just wish he still had that speed! His groundies, volleys, and serve are better now, but I still don't know if all of that improvement can make up for the blazing speed that only vintage Rafa possessed.

MichaelNadal 04-27-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovely_Bone (Post 7370870)
Cool match. I wish Nadal still played like that. Good ole' vinatge Nadal. He's great now, but I just wish he still had that speed! His groundies, volleys, and serve are better now, but I still don't know if all of that improvement can make up for the blazing speed that only vintage Rafa possessed.

Yeah I'm bumping this, I don't think people realize how intense this match was.

mattennis 04-27-2013 12:44 PM

This was a great match I remember perfectly. Absolutely peak Nadal against a very good Djokovic on a quite fast outdoor hard court.

It was 6-4 1-6 and 4-4 and I thought Djokovic would win (because he was pushing hard Nadal in the second and third sets) but the last game was kind of epic. Like many times before and after, in the most crucial points, Nadal was just a bit better (well, actually this has changed in the last 2-3 years, with Djokovic playing better than anyone the really important points).

merwy 04-27-2013 01:29 PM

Great match. I can't say I've seen this match before so thanks for showing me. That match point.. oh god.. I couldn't even see where Djokovic hit that second smash? It just suddenly disappeared of the screen. Anyway, I can understand the tears if he lost in that manner

tudwell 04-27-2013 01:44 PM

What an awful way to end a match as close as this one was. It was a fun match to watch, though. A lot better than the final, or any other match that tournament for that matter.

The-Champ 04-27-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tudwell (Post 7371923)
What an awful way to end a match as close as this one was. It was a fun match to watch, though. A lot better than the final, or any other match that tournament for that matter.

This was the best match at the olympics. Rafa absolutely hammered Gonzales in the final on this super fast HC. I'm sure Blake was happy Rafa won that final and not Gonzales.

abmk 04-27-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The-Champ (Post 7371937)
This was the best match at the olympics. Rafa absolutely hammered Gonzales in the final on this super fast HC. I'm sure Blake was happy Rafa won that final and not Gonzales.

heh, the cheating incident of course .....

a blake-nadal match would've obviously been more competitive than the actual final ......

underground 04-27-2013 03:23 PM

LOL as I expected it was the missed overhead all over again. :twisted:

TheF1Bob 04-27-2013 03:29 PM

Novak was in GOD mode in the 2nd set but then faded away. :(

veroniquem 04-27-2013 03:30 PM

Yep awesome match. I will never forget how both guys cried afterwards.

ark_28 04-27-2013 03:53 PM

Intereting to see how much Novak serve and volleyed in this match and successfully too!

MichaelNadal 04-27-2013 05:18 PM

When Rafa plays well on a fast court, it's amazing to see. Too bad it doesn't happen often.

Mustard 04-27-2013 05:25 PM

Fantastic match. Nadal was in unbelievable form at this time.

Cup8489 04-27-2013 09:43 PM

Why they not play like this noW?!?

namelessone 04-27-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cup8489 (Post 7372678)
Why they not play like this noW?!?

Nadal got older and doesn't go all out for every ball like he did in this match,circa 2008. His court coverage was unreal, especially when you consider that this was a medium-fast HC. 4 years is a lot in tennis and 27 is pretty old for a grinder.

Djokovic got more conservative in his game as time passed whereas in 2008 he was the type to swing for fences.

A guy willing to hit it out of the park combined with a guy who was willing to chase and counterpunch all day long made for some great tennis.

I would also recommend their Queens match or earlier matches in IW/Miami. There was a Canada encounter that was decent as well.

Funny stat:
Djokovic is the guy with the most career wins against Nadal.
Nadal is the guy with the most career wins against Djokovic.

MichaelNadal 04-28-2013 09:35 AM

^Djokovic/Nadal matches produce some unreal tennis. Right from the start in 2007. That Beijing court makes me wish we had faster courts these days. It's hard to play the way they did there on all the sandpaper courts of today.

TheF1Bob 04-28-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namelessone (Post 7372703)
Nadal got older and doesn't go all out for every ball like he did in this match,circa 2008. His court coverage was unreal, especially when you consider that this was a medium-fast HC. 4 years is a lot in tennis and 27 is pretty old for a grinder.

Djokovic got more conservative in his game as time passed whereas in 2008 he was the type to swing for fences.

A guy willing to hit it out of the park combined with a guy who was willing to chase and counterpunch all day long made for some great tennis.

I would also recommend their Queens match or earlier matches in IW/Miami. There was a Canada encounter that was decent as well.

Funny stat:
Djokovic is the guy with the most career wins against Nadal.
Nadal is the guy with the most career wins against Djokovic.

Blame the courts for that one. The fact that Indian Wells is right now slower than clay is just at utter disgrace for me.

veroniquem 04-28-2013 10:19 AM

Cup: They do.

ETA: Hamb 2008, Madrid 2009, USO 2011, AO 2012 were every bit as epic. What makes the Olympics one special though is how emotional it was for both players.

dhdriver 04-28-2013 10:58 AM

Oh one of my favorite matches. I actually caught the second and third set live on TV cause I was able to wake up early during the Olympics. Very emotional at the end for both players.