Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   How has Nadal's injuries inflated his nearest competitors' careers? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461869)

DRII 04-27-2013 09:15 AM

How has Nadal's injuries inflated his nearest competitors' careers?

Nadal already enjoys a winning record against all of his greatest peers, something no one else can claim, even though he's been burdened by injuries, some pretty serious, throughout his career.

Imagine if Nadal had the health and longevity of Federer; how would Federer's, Nole's, and Murray's record have been further affected (particularly in slam and master's titles)?

Flash O'Groove 04-27-2013 09:20 AM

It depends. If Nadal could play like it does without being injured, we all know the answer.

But we all know that he is injured because of his style. I guess it's not overreaching to consider that playing RG with bad knees, with the intensity he always shows, was not the most clever move in the long time.

Nadal know from the beginning that his playing style and his knees are not friendly. He has chosen the playing style, and he pay it regularly with injuries. It will be more expensive in the future.

tennis_pro 04-27-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 7371491)
Nadal already enjoys a winning record against all of his greatest peers, something no one else can claim, even though he's been burdened by injuries, some pretty serious, throughout his career.

Imagine if Nadal had the health and longevity of Federer; how would Federer's, Nole's, and Murray's record have been further affected (particularly in slam and master's titles)?

Failthread. Nadal knew exactly what he was doing and his injuries were perfectly predictable.

Cup8489 04-27-2013 09:25 AM

This thread is now about quickscoping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFZC2emvdYs

NatF 04-27-2013 09:29 AM

Nadal has won those matches by chasing down every ball like his life depends on it. By bringing crazy intensity to every match. If you play like that you're going to suffer.

Hypothetically if Nadal hadn't had so many injury breaks I'd probably be expecting him to be winding down more now anyway. He may have won Wimbledon 2009 but I don't see too many more slams being his otherwise.

TMF 04-27-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

But Nadal has to sacrifice his body for all of his achievement. If he doesn't, he would remain healthy but wouldn't have won 11 slams. It's the cause and effect...take your pick.

Also, the injuries are grossly exaggerated(and excuses to discredit the winners), and not that he's the only player on the tour who's suffering physically. Some players had surgery(e.g. Hewitt, Del Potro, Davydenko). Nadal didn't need any surgery during his 7 months layoff.

Clarky21 04-27-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatF (Post 7371528)
Nadal has won those matches by chasing down every ball like his life depends on it. By bringing crazy intensity to every match. If you play like that you're going to suffer.

Hypothetically if Nadal hadn't had so many injury breaks I'd probably be expecting him to be winding down more now anyway. He may have won Wimbledon 2009 but I don't see too many more slams being his otherwise.

Djesus plays like that so why isn't he injured all the time?

Hitman 04-27-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7371541)
But Nadal has to sacrifice his body for all of his achievement. If he doesn't, he would remain healthy but wouldn't have won 11 slams. It's the cause and effect...take your pick.

Also, the injuries are grossly exaggerated(and excuses to discredit the winners), and not that he's the only player on the tour who's suffering physically. Some players had surgery(e.g. Hewitt, Del Potro, Davydenko). Nadal didn't need any surgery during his 7 months layoff.

100% correct.

You want to poke a lion in the eye? Go ahead, but expected to get swallowed whole.

NatF 04-27-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7371547)

I don't think Djokovic is as intense as Nadal. I expect Djokovic to be injured at some point though. Nadal has more miles on him due to being an early bloomer as well.

abmk 04-27-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7371541)

this ...

Just one thing though, the guys you mentioned aren't even the worst affected by injuries.

You had far worse cases with krajicek, cash, haas etc ...

abmk 04-27-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

not as much as nadal , no ... for starters , he doesn't run around his BH as much, not even close as he has a better FH-BH balance.

but he too has had and will have his share of problems. for instance, in 2011, his performance dropped rapidly after the USO .

Nitish 04-27-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

I was wondering this as well,maybe he is more flexible than nadal

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/flex...s-injuries-336

90's Clay 04-27-2013 10:04 AM

If Nadal wasn't injury prone then he would probably would have broken the slam record before Fed did

What Hurt Nadal the most is he got injured during what should have been the PEAK of his career. The way he was playing from 2008-2010, barring injury he would have won 90-95 percent of those slams.

2011 he started on a downhill turn (level wise) probably which the injuries precipitated. He was never the same after 2010

Getting hurt during the peak of your career is a major hit. Imagine if Fed suffered injury during the 2005-2007 seasons. He would be wayy off the 17 slam mark right now.

Nadal's prime should have been 2008-2012 but he was taken out by injuries twice

Yea many will attribute that to his playing style. But people forget it he already had injury problems prior to ever joining the pro circuit.

Djokovic also plays that similar style and hasn't suffered the injury problems like that. Some guys are just more injury prone then others.

When I look back at Nadal's career i would say he should have been a hands down GOAT Candidate but injuries stopped that from happening

abmk 04-27-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90's Clay (Post 7371590)
If Nadal wasn't injury prone then he would probably would have broken the slam record before Fed did

What Hurt Nadal the most is he got injured during what should have been the PEAK of his career. The way he was playing from 2008-2010, barring injury he would have won 90-95 percent of those slams.

2011 he started on a downhill turn (level wise) probably which the injuries precipitated. He was never the same after 2010

Getting hurt during the peak of your career is a major hit. Imagine if Fed suffered injury during the 2005-2007 seasons. He would be wayy off the 17 slam mark right now.

Nadal's prime should have been 2008-2012 but he was taken out by injuries twice

lol wut ??????

nadal was just as good on grass and HC in 2011 as he was in 2010. he just happened to face djokovic 2.0 on the other side.

@ the bold part, lulz, you think your idol's record is that easy to break ? good to know :lol:

or maybe its just you hate fed so much for breaking your idol''s records to pieces. you'll do the same for nadal when he does touch/break your idol's major count ....

Goosehead 04-27-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

nadal trains at the same level he plays..intense and full on, that's what got him all his titles,

unfortunately that approach to training and matches also gave him the injuries that damaged his career arc..

so nadal could have eased off on the training and changed his approach to playing but he wouldn't have won all those titles.

its a vicious circle, Its part of his OCD, he feels that he has to train the way he plays in order to win and won't give that routine up..

training/playing intense..I think its an extension of rafa getting his bottles all neat and tidy and pushing his hair by his ears/picking his bum/rubbing his nose before every serve..the whole intense play/training/on court tics make him who he is and give him success...but also give him injuries.

Hitman 04-27-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abmk (Post 7371599)
lol wut ??????

nadal was just as good on grass and HC in 2011 as he was in 2010. he just happened to face djokovic 2.0 on the other side.

@ the bold part, lulz, you think your idol's record is that easy to break ? good to know :lol:

or maybe its just you hate fed so much for breaking your idol''s records to pieces. you'll do the same for nadal when he does touch/break your idol's major count ....

No Djokovic 2.0, Nadal could have swept up W 2011, USO 2011 and AO 2012. Giving him all four in a row. Him getting injured in 2012 can be partly attributed to the war he and Djokovic had waged against each other. That USO final was so brutal, neither player recovered fully for the rest of the season, and then when they went at it again, it was six hours of pain and punishment. Nadal's body had suffered from the those battles, and is a big reason that he missed two slams. And his slam count is where it is at currently.

abmk 04-27-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 7371616)
No Djokovic 2.0, Nadal could have swept up W 2011, USO 2011 and AO 2012. Giving him all four in a row. Him getting injured in 2012 can be partly attributed to the war he and Djokovic had waged against each other. That USO final was so brutal, neither player recovered fully for the rest of the season, and then when they went at it again, it was six hours of pain and punishment. Nadal's body had suffered from the those battles, and is a big reason that he missed two slams. And his slam count is where it is at currently.

nah, not 4 in a row. I think one of tsonga at wimbledon, federer at the USO or murray at the AO would definitely have stopped him, the latter two being more likely than tsonga ...

but then doesn't change that his level was pretty high in 2011 on grass & hard .......( and of course AO in 2012 and clay in 2012 ), his level on clay in 2011 did dip, but only by his standards.

speaking of the USO and AO final, I might be in the minority on this one, but the USO final felt more brutal intensity wise, they had to change directions faster on the faster USO surface ....

TMF 04-27-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 7371549)
100% correct.

You want to poke a lion in the eye? Go ahead, but expected to get swallowed whole.

Yeah, you can't have both way. Frankly I would rather have 11 slams with a tendinitis than having a perfectly healthy leg with little success.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abmk (Post 7371578)
this ...

Just one thing though, the guys you mentioned aren't even the worst affected by injuries.

You had far worse cases with krajicek, cash, haas etc ...

These are the real unfortunate one since they are underachiever. Nadal's problem isn't remotely close compare to them and he has accomplished a lot. His fans should be happy and stop whining.

Hitman 04-27-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abmk (Post 7371626)
nah, not 4 in a row. I think one of tsonga at wimbledon, federer at the USO or murray at the AO would definitely have stopped him, the latter two being more likely than tsonga ...

but then doesn't change that his level was pretty high in 2011 on grass & hard .......( and of course AO in 2012 and clay in 2012 ), his level on clay in 2011 did dip, but only by his standards.

speaking of the USO and AO final, I might be in the minority on this one, but the USO final felt more brutal intensity wise, they had to change directions faster on the faster USO surface ....

Notice how I said could have, and not would have. He might have been stopped, but one thing is for certain, he didn't have a mental complex against any of the players you mentioned, so that is plus for him. Ultimately, we will never know.

I agree that USO final was more breathtakingly brutal.

veroniquem 04-27-2013 10:39 AM

Even with his injuries, Nadal is the most dominant top player. He has a winning head to head vs all of Fed, Djoko and Murray.