Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Best combination for the team? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461879)

ark_28 04-27-2013 10:49 AM

Best combination for the team?

I have been made captain of our men's team in this league all the matches are doubles!

How it works is there are 2 pairs and you play against both pairs so overall there are 4 matches!

Overall am happy with the squad but for my first match in 2 weeks in looks like I will have two strong players and two weaker ones!

None of them have played with each other more so as I see it I have two options play 2 strong players together and give us a good chance of getting 2 wins and hope the weaker pair can nick one win against the oppositions weaker pair!

Other option is split stronger players that will make both teams competitive but means every match could be an open match so we also risk losing 4-0 with that in mind I think playing 2 strong players together is our best chance, but I am new to this captaincy so what do you guys think is my best play?

ark_28 04-27-2013 02:16 PM

Any suggestions would be awesome :-)

dizzlmcwizzl 04-27-2013 02:53 PM

Here goes: I need more information to answer your question .... this is the kind of thing you cannot decide unless you know who you are working with.

1st, since there are 4 matches I assume you count courts and the champs are determined by how many courts you win over the entire season. Is this so?

2nd, for this particular match do you expect a tough team, a weak team or do you have no idea?

3rd, is the title soley determined by the regular season? Or do half of the teams qualify for some sort of season ending playoff? How did this squad do last year if applicable?

4th, how well do you know your players? Often times just putting the two best guys together does not give you the best team. Perhaps there are advantages to particular partnerships?

5th, how many total folks on the team? Will you just be working with a skeleton crew or will these guys likely never be on the courts at the same time again?

I would chose the the combinations that maximize your needs for each of these questions.

Clive Walker 04-27-2013 03:21 PM

If you can feel that your strongest 2 will be undefeated- go with putting them together, and hope the weaker ones pick up a set, then the team win- if they lose everything, match is drawn I guess.

If you're not sure your strongest 2 will be undeafeted- split them

ark_28 04-27-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 7372150)
Here goes: I need more information to answer your question .... this is the kind of thing you cannot decide unless you know who you are working with.

1st, since there are 4 matches I assume you count courts and the champs are determined by how many courts you win over the entire season. Is this so?

2nd, for this particular match do you expect a tough team, a weak team or do you have no idea?

3rd, is the title soley determined by the regular season? Or do half of the teams qualify for some sort of season ending playoff? How did this squad do last year if applicable?

4th, how well do you know your players? Often times just putting the two best guys together does not give you the best team. Perhaps there are advantages to particular partnerships?

5th, how many total folks on the team? Will you just be working with a skeleton crew or will these guys likely never be on the courts at the same time again?

I would chose the the combinations that maximize your needs for each of these questions.

Thanks for your reply! :-)

yes we get points for how many ties we win at the end of the season will determine our standing in the league

For this first tie from what I know they are a decent team I am not expecting them to be top of our league but I think there stronger pair will be useful.

There are no playoffs it's all on this we have 8 ties this season we have to be in top 2 to get promotion I think we can do it but can't afford a bad loss like a 4-0 or 3-1 loss in game 1.

I agree playing together is usually better than even strong players but apart from me and one guy none of us played together before or not any great number of times so there are no established partnerships that can outweigh good players.

All the guys playing are part of my plans for the season but it is fair too say the two weaker guys while will be in my squad probably will not be first choice when some of my better players are available.

So it's a question of for this tie a way to get the best we can from it and avoid a heavy loss ideally get a draw or nick a win knowing that I'll have 2 stronger players and a full team for 2nd tie two weeks later as they have confirmed availability.

dizzlmcwizzl 04-28-2013 02:33 AM

So ... it appears you made a decision.

You cannot win the season on the first day, but you sure could lose it with a very bad loss. Go with putting your stronger players together.

spot 04-28-2013 03:46 AM

I think that it just depends if your stronger players compliment each other's style the best or if they might be better off with one of the weaker players. I think that captains get too caught up in who the better player is in singles and think that means they are the better doubles player and the 2 best players will often not form the best doubles team.

Personally I am a fan of splitting my best players and giving them the partner that compliments them the best. But that is normally because I have a big roster of players to choose from to give them the best fit.

jazar 04-28-2013 05:44 AM

You could ask the players themselves who they would prefer to play with. I've played plenty of matches where I've mean paired up with another strong player, but we haven't won because we don't gel well as a pair.

Dags 04-28-2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ark_28 (Post 7372223)
There are no playoffs it's all on this we have 8 ties this season we have to be in top 2 to get promotion I think we can do it but can't afford a bad loss like a 4-0 or 3-1 loss in game 1.

Are there only 5 teams in the division? That seems low, particularly with 2 for promotion.

I actually don't think that a loss in the first game is necessarily that important. Early in the season you often find clubs with players playing down, so they are often weaker for the return match when they can no longer do that.

If you really have no idea of how to pair them, rather than asking what is likely to give you the best result in this match, I would ask which pairings are more likely to be used later on. It's a chance to find out either a.) whether the stronger guys play well together and become and established pair, or b.) whether when the weaker guys get called up, they can partner one of these guys. Which is more valuable depends on how regularly you see these four playing later in the season.