Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Flattening out the CC FH (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461939)

JSouza 04-28-2013 01:51 AM

Flattening out the CC FH

Hi,
I have a forehand that I like to think is similar to Novak's, in grip, takeback and follow through. When I see an opportunity to go DTL, I can explode into the ball, sorta jumping, and, rather than brushing, really hit through the ball. The result is a flat, powerful shot that really gets through the court.

However, my CC forehand, when I try and flatten it out, tends to have less pace and more spin. Is this normal? How can I penetrate through the court? I feel like I'm swinging just as hard. In general I feel my CC tends to sit up a bit too much, like the balance between drive and spin is just a little off.

Any tips?

Lukhas 04-28-2013 02:11 AM

Hi, do you have a video of it?

sundaypunch 04-28-2013 07:42 AM

Hit through the ball more with less of an upward swing path.

boramiNYC 04-28-2013 08:28 AM

I think it's natural to have a bit more TS for CC if you use same stance for both DTL and CC. just focus on depth and precision.

Radicalized 04-28-2013 11:45 PM

I think, as I just said quickly in another post, you should check your arm angle in relation to your body and your stance. I'm not going to try to be an armchair coach, but simply state again here your body needs to be in a certain anatomical position to hit a flat shot hard enough to get the effect you are looking for. If for example, you leave your stance too open or have your elbow in too close, you aren't going to get the pace you want. Check the relationship of all moving parts to your stance the next time you try to hit one to see if you are in a bad position to produce flat power.

Tonyr1967 04-29-2013 12:29 AM

OP - sounds like you are hitting with a full western grip. Hitting truely flat with an extreme grip is not easy (a western grip is designed for topspin), so if you are actually managing it DTL -great stuff.

If you really want to hit flat, I'd suggest you concentrate on your swing path, your hand position at impact and also on the follow through - try to limit the WW finish.

As Lukhas says - do you have a video?

LeeD 04-29-2013 01:03 PM

Embrace the added topspin and less pace, and hit with more angle, so your run the opponent farther off the court.
If you can hit short consistently, you can create much wider angles than a player who can only hit deep.

5263 05-01-2013 09:55 AM

You are probably reaching out and hooking your ball back cross court vs
stepping out stronger behind the ball, where you can hit it more like you
do the dtl. I'm thinking you should look to get a better position on the ball
for contact on the crosscourt and make the swing more like your dtl...but
just guessing from the info you share.

ATP100 05-01-2013 10:05 AM

The difference between CC and DTL is the paint on the court, not your stroke.
Pretend there is no paint/lines.

Now, changing directions with the ball, another topic.