Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anyone else find the short-court groundstroke drill extremely tough? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461949)

Ehh 04-28-2013 06:05 AM

Anyone else find the short-court groundstroke drill extremely tough?

You know the drill (pun intended) - you both stand at the service line and hit groundstrokes to each other.

Some people 'cheat' by slowing down their swing speed, or, even worse, changing to a volley grip and 'bunting' the ball upwards with an open racket face.

Coach says that in order to do this drill correctly, you should use a normal groundstroke swing path and grips (for me that is western forehand and semi-western 1hbh), you should hit with a closed racket face, and, crucially - you should swing as fast as you possibly can.

Seriously, if you do this drill correctly, you should be beating the ***** out of the ball, but you should have such a vertical swing path and closed racket face that the ball travels extremely slowly through the air, meaning that all of the racket-head acceleration has been translated to spin, not speed. The extreme topspin you have put on the ball should make the ball drop well before the service box and then explode over the other guy's head when it hits the court. It's then up to him to control it and do the same to you.

If you do it this way, it really is a tough drill, and one of the best drills out there for forcing extreme racket head speed and topspin generation.

Does anyone else find it tough?

HughJars 04-28-2013 06:14 AM

Ehhh? Isnt it a warm up drill to get you're touch, feel and hand-eye coordination going?

Ehh 04-28-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7373001)
Ehhh? Isnt it a warm up drill to get you're touch, feel and hand-eye coordination going?

No, it's a drill to ingrain extreme racket head speed and topspin production in you.

HughJars 04-28-2013 06:21 AM

Right o. Explains why coaches love it when teaching kids

hawk eye 04-28-2013 06:51 AM

I sometimes do this, but only to play touch shots and volleys to eachother. In your book thatt would be cheating ( though we play more backspin than 'bunt' it). Can be fun, too.
For me it doesn't make sense to play topspin FH and BH that way. Yes I see coaches letting people hit like this sometimes. But personally, I think it's a waste of time.

Tonyr1967 04-28-2013 10:07 AM

Its a good drill and great practice for putting away mid-court balls.

The key is controlling the racquet face so that the RHS is converted into more into spin and less into power

Ehh 04-28-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyr1967 (Post 7373570)

The key is controlling the racquet face so that the RHS is converted into more into spin and less into power

The key is to swing faster - faster than you would even swing for belting out baseline groundstrokes - because you have to lift the ball up over the net and back down again before it leaves the service box.

NLBwell 04-28-2013 10:47 AM

It is a tough drill for a very particular application.
It is not done for the same reason as a short court warm-up in order to work on touch, coordination, and reactions.

hawk eye 04-28-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonyr1967 (Post 7373570)

Well, when I wanted to practice mid court put aways, I'll just asked my hitting partner for a short ball from the baseline. Imho it resembles more the short ball you get in match play. Plus, you really treat them like that, you want to finish the point with that stroke, or later on at the net. So you place it as difficult as possible for your opponent. You don't get that with minitennis when you're supposed to keep the rally going.

Also, short topspin balls are the easiest putaways. A short backspin floater is way trickier, thoug you have more time to set up, or better also BECAUSE you have more time to set up your shot. Only look at the club level how many short floaters are squandered. That's also why pushers love to feed those floaters.