Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   USTA tournament rained out :( (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=461958)

gmatheis 04-28-2013 07:44 AM

USTA tournament rained out :(

Signed up for a Tournament in SC this weekend.

Due to rain tho I didn't get to play a single match, never even got on court.

Just found out today that the rest of the match is now cancelled.

no refund, no tennis ... this is pretty lame. I can't help feeling that they should either refund my money or give me a chance to play somehow ... tomorrow, next weekend, let me contact my opponent and arrange it on our own ... something. To make it more frustrating the tournament was listed as Thursday - Sunday and with a forcast of rain sat-sun they still didn't start matches until friday morning and stopped matches at like 7pm even though they have lights.

I don't play many tournaments because the cost adds up ... now that I realize I'm not even gauranteed a single match for my money I may just avoid them altogether.

mikeler 04-28-2013 11:27 AM

No refund is BS.

beernutz 04-28-2013 11:40 AM

How much was the entry fee? Was this USTA? I agree with Mikeler FWIW.

Overdrive 04-28-2013 11:42 AM

Deleted Post.

JRstriker12 04-28-2013 11:47 AM

FWIW- USTA Norcal section seems to indicate a refund. I wonder if this is universal?

http://www.norcal.usta.com/Tournamen...3_Rain_Policy/

floridatennisdude 04-29-2013 02:31 AM

This sucks, but I get it. The tourney sinks a lot into fixed costs, many that they can't get a refund on. They probably paid an official to be there all weekend, bought t-shirts, trophies, perishable snacks, etc.

I'd be willing to bet that the tourn director didn't have enough money left over to offer anything substantial as a refund.

Alchemy-Z 04-29-2013 04:39 AM

Yeah I made a singles final this weekend in a GA tournament as well and we were mid way in the first set of our final and it started raining buckets.

They told us results would be a wash and we would get no points for the final but if we wanted to make it up for the (prizes) we could. but he was from out of town and the prizes were etched beer mugs (logo of the tournament site) i told them give it to him as I had already won 2 playing mixed doubles with my wife.

but hey weather is weather...what can you do they did the best job getting as many matches in as they could.

but if you did not get to play at all I feel like you should get some kind of re-fund...or maybe even a credit towards another tournament since some of that money is going to the USTA and not the tournament site.

AtomicForehand 04-29-2013 04:41 AM

The USTA is so damn wealthy it can afford to issue refunds for tournaments. Make a stink!

gmatheis 04-29-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 7375309)
Yeah I made a singles final this weekend in a GA tournament as well and we were mid way in the first set of our final and it started raining buckets.

They told us results would be a wash and we would get no points for the final but if we wanted to make it up for the (prizes) we could. but he was from out of town and the prizes were etched beer mugs (logo of the tournament site) i told them give it to him as I had already won 2 playing mixed doubles with my wife.

but hey weather is weather...what can you do they did the best job getting as many matches in as they could.

but if you did not get to play at all I feel like you should get some kind of re-fund...or maybe even a credit towards another tournament since some of that money is going to the USTA and not the tournament site.

yeah if i had played a match I'd be bummed but understand, it's the not getting to play a single match that bothers me. And entry into next years (or another this year) tourney would be nice.

mikeler 04-29-2013 07:26 AM

You paid for a service and received nothing for that payment. What happens when concerts are canceled? You get a refund.

Govnor 04-29-2013 07:55 AM

That seems extremely unfair (to get literally nothing).

TXdad 04-29-2013 07:57 AM

It's a horrible policy, has happened to me a couple of times and really stinks when travel is involved. I understand the costs that that go into a tournament, courts, officials, etc., but geez at least give me a couple of cans of ball! And how much would it cost the USTA to get some insurance to cover refunds for the relatively few tournaments that do get entirely scratched due to weather.

woodrow1029 04-29-2013 08:37 AM

The USTA doesn't have anything to do with player refunds if a tournament is rained out. It is between the player and the tournament director. How wealthy the USTA is doesn't matter. You should get a refund, but all requests go through the TD.

SwankPeRFection 04-29-2013 12:18 PM

Head to Twitter and complain the USTA is sticking it to you again like Donald Young usually does. ;) It works for him. lol

But I do agree, if no one played anything, you should get refunds on the entry fee or free entries into the next tournament you sign up for. Seems only fair.... but then again, this is the USTA after all. :rolleyes:

Herdsman76 04-29-2013 12:52 PM

That's bogus. Sorry to hear that. So far the Texas tournaments I've played in improvised when rain delays occurred. Typically the scores matches started at 2-2 in each set with no-ad scorijng plus the 10 pt. tiebreak. Quick matches but at least we got to play. Worse case senarios was that the tournament was played the next weekend.

H76

sureshs 04-29-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 7375541)
You paid for a service and received nothing for that payment. What happens when concerts are canceled? You get a refund.

Concerts have "event insurance" to cover such things - that is where they recover part of their fixed costs. I don't think small USTA tourneys can afford it.

brianb76 04-29-2013 02:17 PM

File a dispute on your card (if you paid with one)

Cindysphinx 04-29-2013 03:23 PM

What were the terms and conditions when you signed up? You and the TD should just adhere to them.

mikeler 04-29-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cindysphinx (Post 7376665)
What were the terms and conditions when you signed up? You and the TD should just adhere to them.

A credit card dispute won't work if you agreed to pay the fee no matter what. It really comes down to that.

West Coast Ace 04-29-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianb76 (Post 7376543)
File a dispute on your card (if you paid with one)

+1. Paid for something; other side didn't deliver.