Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Something is up with new tennis balls (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462013)

t135 04-28-2013 01:08 PM

Something is up with new tennis balls

In the past six months, it's become a consistent problem that new Wilson and penn balls are soft right out of the can. The high end us open balls and others like them seem fine, but the standard issue balls are terrible.

Anyone else noticed this?

The Meat 04-28-2013 02:17 PM

Penn's naturally die after a session or two.

Wilson Champions should last a little longer. Be sure to inspect the balls through the can before buying them, some are defects. Wilson has seriously been lowering the quality on all of their products.

West Coast Ace 04-28-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t135 (Post 7374264)
In the past six months, it's become a consistent problem that new Wilson and penn balls are soft right out of the can. The high end us open balls and others like them seem fine, but the standard issue balls are terrible.

Anyone else noticed this?

I have had some issues; but these are balls I bought a while ago. At first I was writing it off as heavy conditions (early morning humidity) and dirty courts - but the last 3 weeks my Sunday hitting partner and I both realized at least 1 ball out of 3 seemed to be dying fast - after approx. 20 minutes.

@Meat - I've always had better luck with Penn's and longevity. In my experiences, Wilsons are light and fast out of the can but fluff up faster.

The Meat 04-28-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace (Post 7374587)
I have had some issues; but these are balls I bought a while ago. At first I was writing it off as heavy conditions (early morning humidity) and dirty courts - but the last 3 weeks my Sunday hitting partner and I both realized at least 1 ball out of 3 seemed to be dying fast - after approx. 20 minutes.

@Meat - I've always had better luck with Penn's and longevity. In my experiences, Wilsons are light and fast out of the can but fluff up faster.

My Penn's deflate around the hour mark, Wilson's felt is kind of terrible. Penn for some reason has the right felt and Wilson has the right core. I wish they could make a hybrid of the two balls....:(

Bartelby 04-28-2013 04:12 PM

Sometimes manufacturers seem so keen to keep their price point that they cost cut and sacrifice quality control.

2ndServe 04-29-2013 04:12 AM

the balls I've bought at Target look the same but they are definitely sub standard to me.

bkpr 04-29-2013 03:44 PM

I've had four or five cans out of my box of Dunlop Fort Elite balls produce soft balls. There was a reduced 'pop' when I opened them. Upon inspection of unopened cans I could tell which were the duds from how much I could/couldn't push the unopened lid down.

And many of the Penns we use at the club seem to have unevenly stuck felt; there's is typically a small crease/fold of about 6–7mm perpendicular to the rubber seam in one spot. Out of the six three-ball cans I've used in league games to date, at least four balls have had this imperfection.

So yeah, I think something's up.

tennisnj 04-29-2013 04:08 PM

I unfortunately bought 4 cases of Penn Championships (worked out to be less than $1.50 a can) from a local big box retailer & 1 entire case was dead in the cans. I've noticed Penn's lately have been very erratic in their QC. A can barely lasts 3 1/2 sets of high level competitive doubles on the gritty, VERY slow hard courts I play on. Wilson on the other hand has been pretty consistent in their QC & playability. I can get about 4 sets out of a new can before they get put in the tennis camp bin with them. Dunlop on the other hand I can easily get 5 sets out of them w/o having to open a new can. Always amazes me though you can talk to 50 posters on here & they'll give you 50 different answers to the 'best ball' & why, but what very few on here discuss is: Court conditions (speed, cleanliness of court & height of bounce, etc.,) & level of play.

struggle 04-29-2013 04:55 PM

for these reasons, i buy only a few cans at a time, regardless of brand or model.

West Coast Ace 04-29-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7376959)
for these reasons, i buy only a few cans at a time, regardless of brand or model.

Probably a good idea. At least until Congress forces the manufacturers to post a Use By date on the can. :)

The Meat 04-29-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbuggle (Post 7376959)

I do the same, buying cases doesn't save you enough money if you have to pay for shipping as well. I can pick out my balls by looking through the can.

GlenK 04-30-2013 03:24 AM

I have switched to the Penn Marathon balls. They are great for HCs. I have not tried the regular duty but will order some next.
The Marathon's are much better right out of the can, and the longevity is excellent.

Fearsome Forehand 04-30-2013 07:03 AM

Tennis balls have a shelf life. They will go flat even inside a pressurized can if given enough time. I have opened new cans from last season only to discover they are flat. If the box/can that you purchased has been in a warehouse for a while, they might well be dead. Take them back where you bought them and exchange them if possible. The flat ones become practice balls, good for hitting serves, but not for play.

hyperion99 04-30-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 7374396)
Penn's naturally die after a session or two.

Wilson Champions should last a little longer. Be sure to inspect the balls through the can before buying them, some are defects. Wilson has seriously been lowering the quality on all of their products.

I've noticed recently that a lot of the Us Open Extra Duty balls go dead extremely fast.
I now use Penn ATP Extra Duty tennis balls for the past 2 months and cannot be happier.

They last much longer (and have better quality)than the Us Open Extra Duty tennis balls and their $18 dollars cheaper(for purchasing the case)IMO.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Penn...EAD-ATP24.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...LSON-USOC.html

Rabbit 04-30-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand
Tennis balls have a shelf life. They will go flat even inside a pressurized can if given enough time. I have opened new cans from last season only to discover they are flat. If the box/can that you purchased has been in a warehouse for a while, they might well be dead. Take them back where you bought them and exchange them if possible. The flat ones become practice balls, good for hitting serves, but not for play.

I have never had that issue with Dunlops. I buy a case at a time and keep them over season if I don't use them. They are always good. And I store them in my garage where it gets both uber hot and cold.

ArliHawk 04-30-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperion99 (Post 7377979)
I've noticed recently that a lot of the Us Open Extra Duty balls go dead extremely fast.
I now use Penn ATP Extra Duty tennis balls for the past 2 months and cannot be happier.

They last much longer (and have better quality)than the Us Open Extra Duty tennis balls and their $18 dollars cheaper(for purchasing the case)IMO.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Penn...EAD-ATP24.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Wils...LSON-USOC.html

I like the ATP balls a lot, but also really like the Prop Penn Marathon. They last even longer than the ATPs, so I might have to splurge for the Pro Penns next case I buy.

mikeler 04-30-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlenK (Post 7377613)
I have switched to the Penn Marathon balls. They are great for HCs. I have not tried the regular duty but will order some next.
The Marathon's are much better right out of the can, and the longevity is excellent.

I only buy the regular duty Penn Marathon balls. They are easily my favorite soft court ball now.

db10s 04-30-2013 12:10 PM

I like Marathons on clay and the ATPs on hard.

Fearsome Forehand 04-30-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit (Post 7378018)
I have never had that issue with Dunlops. I buy a case at a time and keep them over season if I don't use them. They are always good. And I store them in my garage where it gets both uber hot and cold.

IIRC I have had some Dunlops go flat. But, I have found Dunlops tend to hold their bounce longer than other balls so maybe it is less noticeable with Dunlops. No idea. :)

athiker 04-30-2013 07:21 PM

I used to buy almost exclusively Penns, they seem to be the most popular around here, but have lately started using Wilsons. The Penns seem a little heavier and less lively vs the Wilsons...nothing scientific...just my impression. I buy both at Target.