Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I've taken to drinking a can or two of Relentless before and during matches.... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462031)

Torres 04-28-2013 03:06 PM

I've taken to drinking a can or two of Relentless before and during matches....
 
It's probably not the best thing but I find that it perks me up and keeps me going.....intensity is good for my tennis!

However, I appreciate its probably not a good thing with all the sugar and whatever other stimulants it contains. If I play an evening match, its harder to get a good nights sleep afterwards and I feel a bit out of sorts / tired the next day.

Does anyone have idea if there are any health risks associated with this?

tdhawks 04-28-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torres (Post 7374504)
It's probably not the best thing but I find that it perks me up and keeps me going.....intensity is good for my tennis!

However, I appreciate its probably not a good thing with all the sugar and whatever other stimulants it contains. If I play an evening match, its harder to get a good nights sleep afterwards and I feel a bit out of sorts / tired the next day.

Does anyone have idea if there are any health risks associated with this?

Sugar and caffeine, that's the majority of it. Your body can't burn off all the caffeine and due to this you don't get quality REM sleep, leaving you feeling the way you do then next day.

Your blood sugar also spikes when you drink these, and your body naturally releases insulin to combat the blood sugar spike. After insulin brings your blood sugar back down, it is usually lower than what it was before the spike. This again is why you feel the way you do.

SystemicAnomaly 04-28-2013 04:58 PM

Have you tried some low sugar or no-sugar alternatives like 5-Hour Energy or 6 Hour Power? These work best on an empty stomach (or a moderate amount of food with no competing proteins). I will often ingest only 1 oz (1/2 bottle) about 10-15 minutes before an good/thorough warmup. Seems to work best if I perform 10-20 minutes of cardio prior to tennis.

Overdrive 04-28-2013 05:06 PM

Do not drink 5 Hour Energy or any of those energy drinks.

What you're doing is that you are dehydrating your body and those ingredients in those drinks bring more havoc than caffeine. It's worse than coffee.

You all have been warned.

SystemicAnomaly 04-28-2013 06:20 PM

^ Not True. Where did you dig up this misinformation?

1 oz of 5-hour Energy or 6 Hour Power has only 35-40 mg of caffeine. Do not lump these no-sugar energy shots in with other types of energy drinks. Note that, at worst, caffeine is a very mild diuretic. Some sources indicate that it is not really a diuretic at all. People who drink a lot of coffee have to pee because they drink a lot of coffee/liquid. There is nothing else in the energy shot drinks that I suggested that would dehydrate the body. How much water do you think you are going to lose from drinking 1 to 2 ounces of an energy shot drink?

If anything, coffee is worse than the shots the I've suggested. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of constituents in coffee. Some, other than caffeine, are known stimulants. Some of the ingredients in coffee are known rodent carcinogens. It is not really known if any are in large enough quantities to pose a serious health threat to moderate coffee drinkers. Jitters and some other other effects of coffee might very be due to ingredients other than caffeine. While I have experienced the jitters and some heart rate effects from 1/2 cup of coffee, I have never had these experiences with 1/2 to a full serving of 5-hour Energy or 6 Hour Power.

Note: I am not a fan of most energy drink products at all.

Overdrive 04-28-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SystemicAnomaly (Post 7374896)
^ Not True. Where did you dig up this misinformation?

1 oz of 5-hour Energy or 6 Hour Power has only 35-40 mg of caffeine. Do not lump these no-sugar energy shots in with other types of energy drinks. Note that, at worst, caffeine is a very mild diuretic. Some sources indicate that it is not really a diuretic at all. People who drink a lot of coffee have to pee because they drink a lot of coffee/liquid. There is nothing else in the energy shot drinks that I suggested that would dehydrate the body. How much water do you think you are going to lose from drinking 1 to 2 ounces of an energy shot drink?

If anything, coffee is worse than the shots the I've suggested. There are hundreds (if not thousands) of constituents in coffee. Some, other than caffeine, are known stimulants. Some of the ingredients in coffee are known rodent carcinogens. It is not really known if any are in large enough quantities to pose a serious health threat to moderate coffee drinkers. Jitters and some other other effects of coffee might very be due to ingredients other than caffeine. While I have experienced the jitters and some heart rate effects from 1/2 cup of coffee, I have never had these experiences with 1/2 to a full serving of 5-hour Energy or 6 Hour Power.

Note: I am not a fan of most energy drink products at all.

There was a thread all about this, but I can't find it.

Alright, I'm not disagreeing about coffee, but I can't agree with 5 Hour Energy.
Since I don't have sufficient data to defend my statement, I can't say anything else except it would be a tragedy if someone died on the court during the summer by drinking coffee or any form of energy drink. :-|

ollinger 04-28-2013 06:35 PM

^^ no, the evidence on coffee is that it seems to be pretty good for you. A very large meta-analysis of data on coffee drinking was published last year (possibly in JAMA, don't remember for certain which journal) and showed that longevity increased with each cup of coffee per day one drank, up to 5 cups per day. Above 6 cups a day the data got a little less clear. So with coffee the more the merrier.
Personally, though it seems coffee is a healthy beverage per the data, I wouldn't have it, or any other caffeine beverage, before playing tennis. Both caffeine and exercise can raise your blood pressure (though the effect is small if you drink caffeine daily), and if you happen to take NSAIDs (which also tend to raise BP) when you play, it could lead to a perfect storm of factors raising your blood pressure.

Overdrive 04-28-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7374912)
^^ no, the evidence on coffee is that it seems to be pretty good for you. A very large meta-analysis of data on coffee drinking was published last year (possibly in JAMA, don't remember for certain which journal) and showed that longevity increased with each cup of coffee per day one drank, up to 5 cups per day. Above 6 cups a day the data got a little less clear. So with coffee the more the merrier.
Personally, though it seems coffee is a healthy beverage per the data, I wouldn't have it, or any other caffeine beverage, before playing tennis. Both caffeine and exercise can raise your blood pressure (though the effect is small if you drink caffeine daily), and if you happen to take NSAIDs (which also tend to raise BP) when you play, it could lead to a perfect storm of factors raising your blood pressure.

Go play a match and drink only coffee. Then tell me if it's good for you. :)

S&V Specialist 04-28-2013 07:44 PM

Your heart rate increases substantially after consuming these beverages. This, when combined with physical activity (i.e. tennis), can lead to heart rate spikes and eventually a heart attack.

S&V Specialist 04-28-2013 07:46 PM

Your heart rate increases substantially after consuming these beverages. This, when combined with physical activity (i.e. tennis), can lead to heart rate spikes and eventually a heart attack.

SystemicAnomaly 04-29-2013 06:18 AM

It seems that I was mistaken about the caffeine content of 6 Hour Power and 5-Hour Energy. The former contains ~62 mg of caffeine/oz while the latter contains 75-80 mg/oz (regular formulation, not Extra Strength).

http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-...t/6-hour-power
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2012/02/08/whats-in-a-bottle-of-5-hour-energy

There is a significant difference between the caffeine content of a single oz (as I suggested) of 6 Hour Hour Power, a can of Relentless, and a tall or grande Starbucks coffee drink. A (16.9 oz) can of Relentless contains 160 mg of caffeine compared to the moderate amount in the 1 oz energy shots that I suggested.

To put this in perspective, a 16 oz brewed decaf Starbucks coffee contains 25 mg of caffeine. A Starbucks Grande Coffee (16 oz) contains a whopping 330 mg of caffeine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relentless_(drink)
http://www.cspinet.org/new/cafchart.htm

As I mentioned previously coffee contain numerous chemicals (more than 1000?) other than caffeine. Some of these are known rodent carcinogens but may not be present in large enough quantities to pose serious health risks for moderate/normal consumption levels. Coffee contains chemical agent(s), not caffeine, which stimulates the production of cortisone and adrenaline. Coffee also contains MAO inhibitors, β-carbolines and harmala alkaloids, that may contribute to its stimulating (psychoactive) effects.

I am well aware that both caffeine and coffee is considered to possess a number of health benefits -- at least with moderate or normal consumption levels. The same can be said of red wine and other substances. As with anything, an over-consumption of coffee can very well be unhealthy.

While I have experienced negative effects with very moderate amounts of coffee (less than 1/2 cup) while playing sports, I have never felt had this problems with 1-2 oz of an energy shot drink. I have measured my BP on numerous occasions with the latter and have not seen any significant increases. I have seen some slight increases in heart rate, but nothing that would remotely cause me concern.

ollinger 04-29-2013 07:03 AM

Overdrive
did you read beyond the first sentence of what I wrote??

Power Player 04-29-2013 07:23 AM

He probably didn't.

I drink 1/2 a 5 hour energy if I have an AM match..I do it sometimes if I just feel sluggish when I wake up. There is no need if you feel awake and pretty sharp when you get up, because then the 5 hour energy will most likely be overkill.

I think having to have full cans of powerful energy drinks and/or coffee just to play tennis is a sign of poor sleep or poor fitness.

maggmaster 04-29-2013 07:37 AM

Olympic athletes ad marathoners use caffeine as a supplement and most of them are in pretty good shape.I spent a bit of time messing around with my pre match and during match nutrition and the best that I found was the 2X caffeine Gu. One before the match and another if the match goes longer than 2 hours. That combined with lots of water kept me pretty good on energy.

Power Player 04-29-2013 07:42 AM

Yes, but he says he is drinking a can or two before a match. That is a ton of caffeine for a sport in which you need to have a settled mind to really play within yourself.

It is a ton of caffeine in general, and most likely way too much. A sign of poor sleep habits.

maggmaster 04-29-2013 08:00 AM

Ah yea that does sound like a lot. The Gu has 38 mg of caffeine which is far less than a cup of coffee. Although I drink coffee pretty consistently too.

mikeler 04-29-2013 09:04 AM

I play like a total spaz with any caffeine in my system.

comeback 04-30-2013 01:00 PM

I have a semi sarcastic question for coffee drinkers..Why do people drink coffee in the morning after sleeping 7-8 hours? I would think a person should be at the peak of his alertness in the morning..I can understand the afternoon coffee or if not enough sleep..But i think the morning coffee is just an addiction

tennis ratchet 04-30-2013 01:15 PM

wow, what a lot of coffee haters in this thread... i'm not above a little caffeine before or during a bike ride, like cyclists have done for decades... night time tennis, every now and then i have espresso or an energy drink--i'm in my 40s. how do you guys feel about scotch, is that going to put me in the grave as well?

Power Player 04-30-2013 01:31 PM

I drink coffee and scotch.

Personally I think a shot of scotch before a match is more beneficial than coffee.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse