Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nick Bollettieri: Djokovic is the most complete player of all time (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462071)

djokovic2008 04-29-2013 03:50 AM

Nick Bollettieri: Djokovic is the most complete player of all time

http://www.novakdjokovic.com/en/news...r-of-all-time/

This comes from an Icon in the tennis world a man who has coached Agassi and many others.

pds999 04-29-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djokovic2008 (Post 7375329)

This comes from an Icon in the tennis world a man who has coached Agassi and many others.

Hmmm. Seems the article no longer exists?

I have to say that for a player who does everything pretty well, I would agree with him. But Djokovic lacks that one big shot. Until 2011 I always thought of him as Nadal lite, i.e. he did everything Nadal did but a little worse. Since then Nadal's level has dropped and Novak's has increased.

So as a 'complete' player yes I think I'd agree with that. Certainly not the 'best' player though.

PS: that article by Bollettieri was written in summer 2011 by the way.

djokovic2008 04-29-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds999 (Post 7375330)

I have to say that for a player who does everything pretty well, I would agree with him. But Djokovic lacks that one big shot. Until 2011 I always thought of him as Nadal lite, i.e. he did everything Nadal did but a little worse. Since then Nadal's level has dropped and Novak's has increased.

So as a 'complete' player yes I think I'd agree with that. Certainly not the 'best' player though.

The fact he is well balanced on both wings is KEY against Nadal in monte carlo he hit 52% of his shots CC and 48% DTL. He can do this with either shot making it impossible for his opponent to settle in a pattern of play.

Apun94 04-29-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds999 (Post 7375330)

As a Rafa fan, I would say that Rafa's level has not dropped (the exception being the 2011 RG-Wimby season). Infact, he played his best AO and clay season in 2012. The problem is that Nole is Rafa's Achilles heel.

Tonyr1967 04-29-2013 04:09 AM

Try this:

http://************.typepad.com/blog...llettieri.html

pds999 04-29-2013 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apun94 (Post 7375338)
As a Rafa fan, I would say that Rafa's level has not dropped (the exception being the 2011 RG-Wimby season). Infact, he played his best AO and clay season in 2012. The problem is that Nole is Rafa's Achilles heel.

He was in 2011, but take that year out and Nadal has a commanding H2H lead and still leads the H2H anyway. Hard to say a player is another's achilles heel when he has an overall losing record against them and they are the same age (give or take a few months).

djokovic2008 04-29-2013 04:20 AM

Try http://www.novakdjokovic.com/en/news...r-of-all-time/

zagor 04-29-2013 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apun94 (Post 7375338)

When he played like crap? Or was that uninspired, subpeak and flat?

djokovic2008 04-29-2013 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds999 (Post 7375355)
He was in 2011, but take that year out and Nadal has a commanding H2H lead and still leads the H2H anyway. Hard to say a player is another's achilles heel when he has an overall losing record against them and they are the same age (give or take a few months).

He built most of his wins when djoker was still up and coming now djoker is a seasoned pro things are different.

SLD76 04-29-2013 04:38 AM

Let's see...so tye man who shaped agassi, courier and capriati, all baseliners who didn't posses an all court game and were allergic to volleying, thinks djokovic is the most complete player of all time.

Somehow, I sense a pattern....

djokovic2008 04-29-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7375372)
Let's see...so tye man who shaped agassi, courier and capriati, all baseliners who didn't posses an all court game and were allergic to volleying, thinks djokovic is the most complete player of all time.

Erm what about haas please be something other than biased.

SLD76 04-29-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djokovic2008 (Post 7375378)
Erm what about haas please be something other than biased.

I like to think haas turned out the way he did despite bolliteri.

Meanwhile bolliteri also trained seles and sharapova.

TheF1Bob 04-29-2013 04:47 AM

There you go folks, you've heard from the horses mouth.

pds999 04-29-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djokovic2008 (Post 7375366)
He built most of his wins when djoker was still up and coming now djoker is a seasoned pro things are different.

Rubbish. They are absolute contemporaries. You couldn't find two more contemporary players. What you are really saying is he built up the record while he was better than Djokovic. In fact, I look at it the opposite way. Bar 2011, Nadal has owned Djokovic H2H comfortably every single year. Not even close. 2012 included. I would also wager with you now that Rafa will lead the H2H in 2013 at year end.

You can't judge a player on one particular year. You need to look at their career in its entirety. To date that match up isn't really that close.

SLD76 04-29-2013 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pds999 (Post 7375391)
Rubbish. They are absolute contemporaries. You couldn't find two more contemporary players. What you are really saying is he built up the record while he was better than Djokovic. In fact, I look at it the opposite way. Bar 2011, Nadal has owned Djokovic H2H comfortably every single year. Not even close. 2012 included. I would also wager with you now that Rafa will lead the H2H in 2013 at year end.

You can't judge a player on one particular year. You need to look at their career in its entirety. To date that match up isn't really that close.

We'll havve a clearer picture the end of 2013.

2012, djoker's attacking game was really subpar and avg compared to 2011, even at the AO he won.

Don't belueve me, then ill remind you djoker lost to slow footed, one dimensional john isner at IW that year playing the most baffling match id ever seen djoker play.

mightyrick 04-29-2013 05:09 AM

We might be getting down to semantics, but I don't know if I'd call him the most complete player of all time.

However, I will say that I've never seen a more balanced player than Djokovic. Where every single shot in his arsenal seems to be at par with every other shot in his arsenal.

Most players seem to have a signature shot that is significantly better than other shots they have. I just don't see this with Djokovic.

bluegrasser 04-29-2013 05:13 AM

Quote:

I'd disagree, maybe King Fed' or Sampras' comes to mind IMO.

Wilander Fan 04-29-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Agassi said in his book that Bolleteri was not a tennis expert and I am not even sure if he was actually his or anybody's coach. IIRC, Bolleteri basically just ran the academy.

vernonbc 04-29-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLD76 (Post 7375372)

Same guy, (I can't be bothered to google to find the exact quote), said the same thing about Rafa a couple of years ago. His opinion depends on which reporter Nick is talking to and who won the most recent match. Nick tends to get pretty exuberant about everyone, including potential greats like Ryan Harrison et al. :rolleyes:

djokovic2008 04-29-2013 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilander Fan (Post 7375418)
Agassi said in his book that Bolleteri was not a tennis expert and I am not even sure if he was actually his or anybody's coach. IIRC, Bolleteri basically just ran the academy.

Your a funny a guy next you'll be saying he was the janitor, this guy is a TALENT spotting genius and knows tennis inside out.