Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Nadal plays Basel?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462098)

FedererDropShot 04-29-2013 08:03 AM

Nadal plays Basel??

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/2...-hometown.html

I fear for Roger's chances :(

In all seriousness, for non-Federer fans... it's a great thing.

Basel getting more attention from top players.

Delpo, Rafa and Roger all at Basel. Will be interesting?

kishnabe 04-29-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererDropShot (Post 7375778)
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/2...-hometown.html

I fear for Roger's chances :(

In all seriousness, for non-Federer fans... it's a great thing.

Basel getting more attention from top players.

Delpo, Rafa and Roger all at Basel. Will be interesting?

What do you mean...Basel is on Indoors...Federer would love that chance.

Mike Sams 04-29-2013 08:16 AM

That would make this an incredible tournament if this is true! Swiss fans and organizers would be ecstatic to have another legend like Nadal in the tournament. Add in Djokovic and Del Potro...:)

TMF 04-29-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishnabe (Post 7375798)
What do you mean...Basel is on Indoors...Federer would love that chance.

Yeah, Nadal had to wait til he's 32 to finally show up.

mariecon 04-29-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7375816)
Yeah, Nadal had to wait til he's 32 to finally show up.

LOL. And it will give Fed a nice warm up win against Nads on indoor HC before the WTF! I need to look at these things in a more glass half full kind of way.

sureshs 04-29-2013 08:33 AM

I think this is the way the organizers are hitting back at RF for asking for big appearance fees. They want to humiliate him in his hometown (and prepare for a post-Fed era).

After the spat, RF agreed to play (don't know for how much money) and even said he would play the tournament regardless of anything. Now they have checkmated him. If he withdraws, it will be regarded as a cowardly act. If he doesn't, he is either going to tank early to avoid playing Nadal, or lose to him.

His only hope is that Nadal also gets big app fees and tanks the final.

Mike Sams 04-29-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7375831)
I think this is the way the organizers are hitting back at RF for asking for big appearance fees. They want to humiliate him in his hometown (and prepare for a post-Fed era).

After the spat, RF agreed to play (don't know for how much money) and even said he would play the tournament regardless of anything. Now they have checkmated him. If he withdraws, it will be regarded as a cowardly act. If he doesn't, he is either going to tank early to avoid playing Nadal, or lose to him.

Is Djokovic dead? :| Because neither Federer nor Nadal are going to get through him anyway.

FedererDropShot 04-29-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7375845)
Is Djokovic dead? :| Because neither Federer nor Nadal are going to get through him anyway.

Djokovic is usually 'dead' (physically) by Basel.

Nitish 04-29-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7375831)

Looks like they have decided Rafa is going to be the new face of the tournament,i wonder how much his app fees is.

Mike Sams 04-29-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererDropShot (Post 7375851)

He did surprise us last year at the WTF though, you must admit.

Mike Sams 04-29-2013 08:42 AM

I don't care what kind of spat Basel and Federer have. I'm just excited that this tournament is getting Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic together. :)
Del Potro is in and there will be more. Possibly Murray, Tsonga....

sureshs 04-29-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitish (Post 7375852)
Looks like they have decided Rafa is going to be the new face of the tournament,i wonder how much his app fees is.

Considering that Fed asked for 2 mil and that is what caused the spat, I can see Nadal playing for a mil.

Relinquis 04-29-2013 08:48 AM

should be a fun tournament.

the big threats to Roger will be people like Delpo and Berdych (if he plays). These guys were in rude health indoors earlier this year (Rotterdam / Marseille).

how slow/high bouncing is Basel now in comparison to Rotterdam and Marseille?

Nitish 04-29-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7375854)
He did surprise us last year at the WTF though, you must admit.

He plays pretty well at the end of the season,he has won the wtf twice and also the paris and shanghai masters.Its nadal who is usually dead(physically) at the end of the season.

Mike Sams 04-29-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7375867)
Considering that Fed asked for 2 mil and that is what caused the spat, I can see Nadal playing for a mil.

Federer doesn't deserve 2 million for Basel. Nobody does. They're just going to raise prices for tickets so it's the fans who get hit.
Also, how do we know that Nadal is actually coming to win and not just taking the paycheque? He pulls the same thing at Queens and Halle where he just gets 1 or 2 matches in.
Nadal's not going to kill his body on hardcourts at the near end of a season for a tournament like Basel. He's pulling a fast one on the organizers. :lol:

veroniquem 04-29-2013 08:50 AM

Rafa played Basel in 2003 and 2004. He lost in 1st round both times. I hope he has better luck this time around!

Mike Sams 04-29-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7375877)
Rafa played Basel in 2003 and 2004. He lost in 1st round both times. I hope he has better luck this time around!

Nadal played Tokyo 2011 and gave up midway, winning only 4 points in the final set. I fear he's coming for a paycheque and will check out in the first couple of rounds, pocketing his $1 million and going back to fishing in Spain. :lol:

veroniquem 04-29-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FedererDropShot (Post 7375851)

Is he? He won WTF twice. He also beat Fed in the final of Basel in 2009 and he won Paris as well.

sbengte 04-29-2013 08:53 AM

I heard Fed is contemplating playing at Barcelona next year.

sureshs 04-29-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Sams (Post 7375876)
Federer doesn't deserve 2 million for Basel. Nobody does. They're just going to raise prices for tickets so it's the fans who get hit.

We are not the ones to decide. It is the market with its demand and supply.

There are many examples of people supposedly getting more than they deserve. They are just opinions. When this occurs under closed conditions (meaning there is a possibility of collusion), it is an issue. When it occurs in the open market, there is nothing much to complain about.