Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Was Nadal's loss to Verdasco on blue clay a protest? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462105)

Mike Sams 04-29-2013 09:03 AM

Was Nadal's loss to Verdasco on blue clay a protest?

How easily Nadal crushed Davydenko and then looking very amateurish in the next round and complaining viciously towards the tournament organizers for breaking clay tradition and boldly refusing to ever play in Madrid until conditions are corrected.
Nadal in that match being broken back twice by Verdasco. What do you think was the reason for Nadal's emotional breakdown in a match he was controlling? Was he furious about blue clay and wanted to ruin the tournament? Was he protesting?

veroniquem 04-29-2013 09:11 AM

Yes it was, as was Djoko's loss to Tipsy.
And it worked :)

Sentinel 04-29-2013 09:13 AM

It took you only a year to catch on, Mike. :(

Losing to Rosol was also a protest against Wimbledon's high handed behavior (building a roof). As was skipping the OG (protesting against Britain hosting the Olympics, or something, i forget).

JackReacher 04-29-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7375931)
Yes it was, as was Djoko's loss to Tipsy.
And it worked :)

Its genius. Nadal and Dj probably discussed/planned it. This year they'll be going all gunz blazing for the Madrid title. What a fascinatin rivalry.

Mainad 04-29-2013 09:17 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say he deliberately tanked against Verdasco, but I would agree that he almost certainly didn't put his heart and soul into winning that match. I don't think he was devastated by that loss because he was so p1ssed off with the surface that he was glad to get away. His threat never to play Madrid again on that surface was quite open and blatant. I think he used his early exit as backup for his position. After all, if he had gone on to win the tournament, it would hardly have lent as much weight to his arguments!

Of course, Djokovic then conveniently did the same by going out early to Tipsarevic, another player who, like Verdasco, is normally easy pickings for Nadal and Djokovic respectively. It was probably no coincidence that Djokovic was as anti-blue clay as Nadal. Both of them got away with it and put enough pressure on the ATP to force Tiriac to restore the original red clay surface.

Top player power, eh! :twisted:

veroniquem 04-29-2013 09:20 AM

Madrid was such a letdown last year. It can only be better this year. The only thing I wouldn't mind a repeat of is winner of IW winning Madrid :grin:

veroniquem 04-29-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mainad (Post 7375939)
Of course, Djokovic then conveniently did the same by going out early to Troicki, another player who, like Verdasco, was normally easy pickings for Nadal and Djokovic respectively. :

He didn't go out to Troicki but to Tipsy. In any case, they both lost to a compatriot, can't be a coincidence. They knew what they were doing.

JackReacher 04-29-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7375953)
Madrid was such a letdown last year. It can only be better this year. The only thing I wouldn't mind a repeat of is winner of IW winning Madrid :grin:

That IW win is probably the most unexpected win of Nadal's career. He actually looked more impressive in the semis and final of IW (his backhand especially) than he's looked in the 5 clay events. Puzzling. Outside of the slams, Davis Cup and Olympics, that 2013 IW title I suspect will be Nadal's favorite win ever. His celebrating was hardcore at IW.

veroniquem 04-29-2013 09:26 AM

It was awesome. The Gulbis match was so intense and his Fed demolition was sweet after the beatdown of last year!!

Mainad 04-29-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7375960)
He didn't go out to Troicki but to Tipsy. In any case, they bost lost to compatriot, can't be a coincidence. They knew what they were doing.

Yeah, I'd just realised my error and gone and edited it. Not fast enough though, eh? :)

I agree. As I say, not deliberate tanking but not exactly going hell-bent to try and win either, shall we say! ;)

Cup8489 04-29-2013 09:36 AM

I still think it's a bunch of crap that they threw such enormous fits over it that they switched back to red. It was a cool idea that didn't get a chance to really grow.

TMF 04-29-2013 09:38 AM

Put it this way...had Nadal and Nole both made the final they wouldn't threaten to boycott.

W.P. Mayhew 04-29-2013 09:45 AM

Not as a protest, but due to a time anomaly because of the research done at CERN. Those pesky scientists deep down in Switzerland made two particles collide with such violence that the time-space continuum suffered a disruption that shook the tennis world and made it regress to a previous state called the "weak era". If you know anything about tennis related science, you'll know that in said "weak era" only a lesser and lucky player can dominate, and that all his current opponents return to a prepubescent form, where their losses, although accountable by the ATP/ITF nerds, are not valid to the real discussions we have here. This disruption lasted a week, returned about a month and a half later and was last observed during the Cincinnati masters, also known as the Fitfh Slamô.

So, who will explain that the color of the courts had nothing to do with its state?

Tennis_Hands 04-29-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7375953)

Madrid provided some of the best attacking tennis during an entire tournament in 2012.

Also, allowed for superior veiwing experience, than any other clay tournament.

Those two facts are also part of Madrid 2012.

Apun94 04-29-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veroniquem (Post 7375967)
It was awesome. The Gulbis match was so intense and his Fed demolition was sweet after the beatdown of last year!!

YUP! Loved ever moment of that!

sbengte 04-29-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 7375934)
As was skipping the OG (protesting against Britain hosting the Olympics, or something, i forget).

Skipping the OG was a protest against the WADA chief asking dopers to stay away from Olympics.