Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   lazy eye and 1hbh (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462124)

sophistrock 04-29-2013 11:51 AM

lazy eye and 1hbh

I am a right-hander with 1hbh, but my right eye is "lazy eye". Basically I cannot focus on my right eye and I see everything blur with my left eye closed. I had really hard time to hit the 1hbh with close stance, cause I don't have that super flexible long neck like Guga.

My game got better recently and I start to play some strong 4.0 and 4.5 players in the new league. But now the ball are coming much faster and relentless to my left side, once I start to turn left and chase the fast ball I loose the site of the ball. I slice it 90% of the time with neutral and open stance. But I think maybe my slice will be much better if I can turn a bit closed. My return of serve will also benefit largely if I can stand closed.

Thinking of switch to 2hbh, will that solve the problem? I have tried a little it, but really suck at it. Plus I fall in love with the 1hbh for such a long time (Federer, Wawrinka, Haas, Dimitrov, Gasquet, Almagro...) even though it sucks as well in all kinds of situation..

Do you have the similar problem? Really need good suggestion to deal with it. Or should I just quit tennis(love it so so so much)? I never this a problem when I play any other sports.

sureshs 04-29-2013 11:54 AM

Try an open stance 1 handed BH. I hit many of those, not because of any lazy eye, but because of a lazy body.

JRstriker12 04-29-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7376347)
Try an open stance 1 handed BH. I hit many of those, not because of any lazy eye, but because of a lazy body.

Ugh, it's possible to hit an open stance one hander (I've hit quite a few with my lazy feet or on the run) but I find a more closed or neutral stance usually produces better results - IMHO.

OP- Try the two hander if an open stance gives you a better loo at the ball.

sureshs 04-29-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRstriker12 (Post 7376359)
Ugh, it's possible to hit an open stance one hander (I've hit quite a few with my lazy feet or on the run) but I find a more closed or neutral stance usually produces better results - IMHO.

Obviously.

I was just giving OP some options.

sophistrock 04-29-2013 12:02 PM

I found it very hard to go DTL with open stance, I hit automatically cross the court. And can you hit it hard with open stance?

sureshs 04-29-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophistrock (Post 7376367)
I found it very hard to go DTL with open stance, I hit automatically cross the court. And can you hit it hard with open stance?

It is more like semi-open

sophistrock 04-29-2013 12:15 PM

Between open and neutral? Sounds like you don't do it that often.

Do you think two handed back hand should solve my problem completely? My level will drop back to 3.0 - weak 3.5 instantly.

sureshs 04-29-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophistrock (Post 7376388)
Between open and neutral? Sounds like you don't do it that often.

Do you think two handed back hand should solve my problem completely? My level will drop back to 3.0 - weak 3.5 instantly.

You will have a problem regardless.

Best thing is to consult a doctor and find out if the lazy eye can be corrected by laser surgery or glasses.

goober 04-29-2013 12:32 PM

It seems the real question here is how to protect a weak one HBH.

1) Learn a serve and volley game. Get to the net as much as possible. They can't hit to your backhand if you are at the net. Think J Mac- he didn't have a great 1 HBH,

2) Run around your BH as much as possible. Obvious, but you need to get into good shape and be fast to do it all the time.

3) play more doubles. I have seen some 4.0-4.5 players that can hide their mediocre BHs pretty well by playing dubs- that is assuming the rest of your game is up to snuff. Slicing your BH all the time is not necessarily bad in dubs because you are keeping the ball low.

sophistrock 04-29-2013 12:33 PM

?? I thought 2hbh don't need to stand as close as 1hbh.

None of the classes can fix it. Did some research on laser surgery as well, that door is closed too.

I have never bring this up to any of other players, they will have a permanent target if I tell them the truth. But one of the coach in Bahamas resort I met notice my problem in 5 minutes after hitting. He is also a right-hander with 1bhb, but with left side lazy eye. The guy is definitely around strong 4.5 and 5.0, hit gorgeous forehand, he hit the backhand hard, the ball could land anywhere, most time outside. He told me you just have to live with it.

sophistrock 04-29-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 7376427)
It seems the real question here is how to protect a weak one HBH.

1) Learn a serve and volley game. Get to the net as much as possible. They can't hit to your backhand if you are at the net. Think J Mac- he didn't have a great 1 HBH,

This make sense, but I live on baseline now. Will be out of my comfort zone for now. I can at least try it when facing players killing my backhand.

2) Run around your BH as much as possible. Obvious, but you need to get into good shape and be fast to do it all the time.

This is hard. Yes, I am doing this now. But I am talking about playing with 4.5 players. They hit good angle.

3) play more doubles. I have seen some 4.0-4.5 players that can hide their mediocre BHs pretty well by playing dubs- that is assuming the rest of your game is up to snuff. Slicing your BH all the time is not necessarily bad in dubs because you are keeping the ball low.

Sorry I just love singles too much.

sureshs 04-29-2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophistrock (Post 7376429)
?? I thought 2hbh don't need to stand as close as 1hbh.

None of the classes can fix it. Did some research on laser surgery as well, that door is closed too.

I have never bring this up to any of other players, they will have a permanent target if I tell them the truth. But one of the coach in Bahamas resort I met notice my problem in 5 minutes after hitting. He is also a right-hander with 1bhb, but with left side lazy eye. The guy is definitely around strong 4.5 and 5.0, hit gorgeous forehand, he hit the backhand hard, the ball could land anywhere, most time outside. He told me you just have to live with it.

I googled your condition, and it seems to be incurable.

Maybe standing further back and going for an open stance 1 hander and cheating towards the BH side are the only real mitigators, since you don't want to switch to a 2 hander.

sophistrock 04-29-2013 01:18 PM

Thanks for googling. I know it for a while, it's a pain, but I just have to live with it.

I am willing to switch to 2hbh as long as it can hind my eye problem and get me to another level.

Is it true people can hit a technically perfect 2hbh with open or neutral stance? At least the stance is not as rigid as 1hbh?

JRstriker12 04-29-2013 01:21 PM

FWIW - Thought this was interesting, a neurosurgeon learned to see in 3D at age 48, she was born crossed eyed and stereo blind - http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...=seeing-in-3-d

Maybe there are other treatment options you're not aware of, sounds like the opinion on what they can do might be changing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3223381/

Anyway, all the best in your quest for a better back-hand.

sureshs 04-29-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophistrock (Post 7376544)
Thanks for googling. I know it for a while, it's a pain, but I just have to live with it.

I am willing to switch to 2hbh as long as it can hind my eye problem and get me to another level.

Is it true people can hit a technically perfect 2hbh with open or neutral stance? At least the stance is not as rigid as 1hbh?

Technically, 2 handed BH should be hit closed stance for power. But open stance is acceptable.

sophistrock 04-29-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRstriker12 (Post 7376548)
FWIW - Thought this was interesting, a neurosurgeon learned to see in 3D at age 48, she was born crossed eyed and stereo blind - http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...=seeing-in-3-d

Maybe there are other treatment options you're not aware of, sounds like the opinion on what they can do might be changing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3223381/

Anyway, all the best in your quest for a better back-hand.

Thanks for the finding, JRStriker. Haven't see a eye doctor for a while. May need to see one soon.

boramiNYC 04-29-2013 02:52 PM

you can develop semi open stance 1hbh but it requires good control of your body. your back needs to be strong enough to hold your shoulder in place so it doesn't pull to the side. load on the left foot and stay there. lift the shoulder up instead of pulling. learn to use wrist more to brush up the ball.

the overall effect may not be as good as conventional 1hbh, but if you practice enough to be able to reliably execute, it could work. just be extra disciplined about control.

mad dog1 04-29-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophistrock (Post 7376367)

yeah, very hard to rip it DTL with an open stance. might be able to block it back DTL, but at the level you're talking about, players will chase that down.

BevelDevil 04-29-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophistrock (Post 7376544)

It's mainly about the shoulders.

If you try to restrict your shoulder turn on the 1hbh you're likely to lose power and control, and/or over-rotate to compensate for the short backswing.

As a last-ditch effort (that you may as well try), you may try hitting without closing your shoulders, and instead swing from neutral to semi-open shoulders making contact the same way Wawrinka does (semi-open). But note that even Wawrinka closes his shoulders on the backswing. You'll probably have to muscle the ball more, also.

Sadly, moving to a 2hbh may be your best option. You can hit the 2hbh both open and neutral, though neutral would probably be preferred if you had the time to set up. Agassi seemed to like to hit neutral and he did it very well.

With a 2hbh, you won't have to close your shoulders as much as the 1hbh on the backswing. Also, you will be opening your shoulders up more on the forward swing and will be making contact more to the left of your body instead of your right. All this should help you get a better look at the incoming ball. Lastly, the later contact on the 2hbh will give you a split second more to adjust to misreads of the ball.

So even if you hit the 2hbh from a closed stance you're likely to get a better look with a 2hbh. And of course the two hands will allow you to further adjust to surprises.

You should probably start learning the 2hbh using a closed stance, then hit open and neutral shortly after. The easiest set up would probably be to keep your left arm straight and right arm bent. Be sure to transfer your weight fully forward on neutral/closed-stance shots, like you would with your 1hbh.

Pheniox 04-29-2013 07:42 PM

Sorry to hear about it! 2 cents you may appreciate...

First point I would make would be that there is something particularly scary about a cross court one hander with top spin into any rec level backhand. I find I am less error-prone (I don't try to clobber it) when I hit a high spinner. Build your play book around this shot and your opponent won't realize you don't go DTL. Work on quick footed inside out forehands to compensate. Focus wrong footing them on the ad court. At my level, a well hidden drop shot following a good spinner is just as good as a ripper down the line.

Second is try to start stretching. We carry a ton of tension in our neck and it kills flexibility. A few cm's may be all you need to feel comfortable.

Good luck!