Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   NTRP 0 to 5 in a year - Video Diary 2013 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462254)

Stergios 04-30-2013 05:17 PM

NTRP 0 to 5 in a year - Video Diary 2013

Hi Guys,

The time has come and I'm ready to start sharing some videos of my project.

I'd like to thank, all of you, who gave me the idea of making these videos.
I do enjoy filming and it's part of my profession really. But never thought when I was starting out this project that I would carry on filming, not to mention filming myself!

Now my two worlds collide! I couldn't be happier about it!

I'd try to make a video each week. Partly for following up with my project and partly for the joy of making them. Although if I manage to do two per month I'll be happy enough.

So, other than the videos you'd expect, showcasing my strokes and progress, expect to see more interesting and funny stuff.

To kick this off, I'm leaving you with a Project Video Promo my good friends made for me!

Also I've updated my blog with my new post.

NickC 04-30-2013 05:57 PM

Good luck. 0 to a 5.0 in a year? You'll need it.

pvaudio 04-30-2013 06:12 PM

Stergios, a suggestion if I may. 5.0 level is pretty much maxed out amateur level. These are guys who are usually teaching pros or at the very least have had some high level college tennis experience. Your typical rec player is a 3.5, with a 4.0 being a good player, and the 4.5 being the best. So that you don't get burned out, why not shoot for 4.0 in a year? Most rec players never even get to that, and if they do, it takes years. I do not want to discourage you from your goals, but since I love tennis, I don't want you to get discouraged if the results don't come. More than anything, what separates the 4.5 and the 5.0 is the mental aspect. That can only come from having played countless matches where you've seen pretty much all types of opponents.

So again, so that you don't get burned out, I would shoot for 4.0. Once you get there, and that's definitely possible, just play matches on end against 4.5s to understand what you're up against. It takes a very long time to get the fundamentals ingrained, much less mastered to the point of being weapons.

Lukhas 04-30-2013 06:33 PM

That only makes me think of one thing...
http://mangafox.me/manga/baby_steps/
:lol:
Not that it's impossible, but it needs a lot of dedication. Although being NTRP 0 doesn't mean you start at level zero it tennis; it just means you never entered a tournament before. Ask Andy from TW, he's open rated. Holds his share nicely among the 4.0 to 5.5's that playtest with him. You can have players who just take lessons for few years, are good, and then enter a tournament and are better than the 1.5, 2.0 or a bit more that hang around. So context is important too. Although if it is from ground zero to 5.0, well it's hard, but possible if one plays regularly everyday. Not even a lot,but just playing everyday to build the body enough. Like I said in another thread, it would be being from "I never hit a ball" to "I play like the TW playtesters". Although they may be stronger than actual 4.0/5.0 since they play tennis for a living.

Relinquis 04-30-2013 07:15 PM

ignore the naysayers... reach for the 5.0 level.

Do it! You will inspire many people and tennis is fun anyway.

ace_pace 04-30-2013 07:19 PM

All the naysayers are just people who want to drag them down with them. Go out and enjoy the sport and reach for the goal!

Roger Wawrinka 04-30-2013 07:32 PM

I agree, if you want it bad enough, do all you can to achive your goal! I hope you make it!

P.S Also, awesome video skills:)

Lukhas 04-30-2013 07:40 PM

Can't see any naysayer here personally. It is difficult. That's not a lie to say so.

pvaudio 04-30-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace_pace (Post 7379364)
All the naysayers are just people who want to drag them down with them. Go out and enjoy the sport and reach for the goal!

I don't think you quite understand. The amount of time and dedication that it would take to become essentially a good college level player in a year means that you will not have much time to just enjoy the sport. That's the entire point that I made. Start smaller so that you can have fun while learning, and then say you know, I want this. If anything, it's unfair to tell someone to push themselves for hours on end each week just to reach a number.

Relinquis 04-30-2013 08:35 PM

pvaudio,

i know you mean well, but don't spoil the journey for him...

let him find his own way, to know what it is to struggle to control your body and to let it be free at the same time, to know what it is to get on the court while your body is aching, joints are taped up to practice the same shot, over and over again. to learn, unlearn and relearn how to move, to face the limits of his body and try to push them...

let him discover for himself what it is to sacrifice your time, effort and sweat just to be able to experience a skill... that cross court drop shot winner, the on the run forehand down the line passing shot that gives you the break, the reflex volley that clips the net... time slows down as the ball decides which side to favour, all that practice and it is still out of your control... the joy of all the little successes in tennis and the bitterness of all of the setbacks... the sometimes randomness of the results against new opponents... like facing the weather, you don't know what will come your way from the other side of teh court.

he can't experience any of this unless he has a serious goal. an ambitious one. otherwise, ti will just be hitting at the club and flirting with whatever tennis totty happens to be around. that's not a bad way to be at all, especially as a 30 year old, but as with most things in life to experience more you have to dedicate more...

it's only a year and he'll probably get in better shape and if he fails he can always just hit for fun ;)

TomT 04-30-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stergios (Post 7379063)
Hi Guys,

The time has come and I'm ready to start sharing some videos of my project.

I'd like to thank, all of you, who gave me the idea of making these videos.
I do enjoy filming and it's part of my profession really. But never thought when I was starting out this project that I would carry on filming, not to mention filming myself!

Now my two worlds collide! I couldn't be happier about it!

I'd try to make a video each week. Partly for following up with my project and partly for the joy of making them. Although if I manage to do two per month I'll be happy enough.

So, other than the videos you'd expect, showcasing my strokes and progress, expect to see more interesting and funny stuff.

To kick this off, I'm leaving you with a Project Promo Video my good friends made for me!

Also I've updated my blog with my new post.

Hey Stergios, I enjoyed the vid and reading your blog. I like my Asics shoes better than the several other brands I have. No Gatorade for me any more. I mix lime or lemon juice and salt with tap water. Much cheaper. No power bars or protein supplements. Just bananas for on court snack and a big cheeseburger or bowl of chili or chicken salad sandwich, and tomatoes, after hitting. I also eat lots of eggs, cheese and fruit for breakfast. For recovery periods I use mainly beer and sleep. :) A two hour nap after hitting and eating and drinking makes me feel really good.

Love that quote about if your dreams don't scare you, then they're not big enough.

Looking forward to more from you.

pvaudio 05-01-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7379490)
pvaudio,

i know you mean well, but don't spoil the journey for him...

let him find his own way, to know what it is to struggle to control your body and to let it be free at the same time, to know what it is to get on the court while your body is aching, joints are taped up to practice the same shot, over and over again. to learn, unlearn and relearn how to move, to face the limits of his body and try to push them...

let him discover for himself what it is to sacrifice your time, effort and sweat just to be able to experience a skill... that cross court drop shot winner, the on the run forehand down the line passing shot that gives you the break, the reflex volley that clips the net... time slows down as the ball decides which side to favour, all that practice and it is still out of your control... the joy of all the little successes in tennis and the bitterness of all of the setbacks... the sometimes randomness of the results against new opponents... like facing the weather, you don't know what will come your way from the other side of teh court.

he can't experience any of this unless he has a serious goal. an ambitious one. otherwise, ti will just be hitting at the club and flirting with whatever tennis totty happens to be around. that's not a bad way to be at all, especially as a 30 year old, but as with most things in life to experience more you have to dedicate more...

it's only a year and he'll probably get in better shape and if he fails he can always just hit for fun ;)

I know that you guys mean well also, but consider this. All of those nice moments you mentioned are nice because they're signs of you getting better. If you set an incredibly steep goal, you run the risk of them becoming signs of not yet being good enough. If you shoot for something that is just out of reach and you get it, that does not mean you can't try to go from that step and reach up again.

Putting it another way, I'm saying to ignore the NTRP rating (regardless of the fact that he's not in the US according to his location), and simply strive to say, beat a 4.5 player three times by the end of the year. That's the same goal, but is instead stated in a more meaningful and satisfying fashion. The number assigned to you is meaningless unless you intend to use it. It doesn't appear to be that way, rather, it's a number symbolizing a level of play. This sport is not easy, but it is a hell of a lot of fun. It's only fun if you're enjoying it every step of the way. :)

NJ1 05-01-2013 07:56 AM

If you play most days, have a good coach, are fit, sub-35yrs and have good coordination, I see no reason why you cannot be successful (or at least very close to) achieving your aim.

To the naysayers: we are not all born equal.

Claudius 05-01-2013 05:11 PM

Based on the promo video, you probably are already a 5.0.

Torres 05-01-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relinquis (Post 7379353)
ignore the naysayers... reach for the 5.0 level.

Do it! You will inspire many people and tennis is fun anyway.

Agreed. If you have the time, the inclination, go for it. I'd rather aim high than aim low. Reminds me of the wise words in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0VMM...utu.be&t=3m50s

LeeD 05-01-2013 05:33 PM

Back to reality.
This seems more a promotional stunt than anything else.
And NO, he cannot be a 5.0 player in one year, or 3.
He can enter 5.0 tourneys, and lose to the first player he faces. He can claim a win in a bye.
In 2 years, he cannot possibly make real solid 4.5. Once again, he can enter 4.5 tourneys.
No way, no how. Don't care if you take LebronJames, UsainBolt, or MiquelCabrera, now way no how.

Andyroo10567 05-01-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7381532)
Back to reality.
He can enter 5.0 tourneys, and lose to the first player he faces. He can claim a win in a bye.
In 2 years, he cannot possibly make real solid 4.5. Once again, he can enter 4.5 tourneys.
No way, no how. Don't care if you take LebronJames, UsainBolt, or MiquelCabrera, now way no how.

Why not? Its still worth the try.

Torres 05-01-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Back to reality.

As usual you've completely missed the point. Again.

Not everyone is as sour and as bitter as you are.

MLB_MOB 05-01-2013 05:50 PM

It is indeed very possible depending on how much work you put in and how much athletic talent you have. I played against a kid who played for University of Mary Washington and he started playing when he was 17, by the end of the year he was a 3 star and was guaranteed a spot on a top 10 division 3 roster (ended up playing #3 by the end of his freshman year at a school better than a good deal of D1 schools). Just go for it man, find a coach who you work well with, hit them gym and go balls out

MLB_MOB 05-01-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Back to reality.

If you put Lebron James in a tennis academy the man would be a MONSTER! Do you realize how big he is? How strong he is? His serve would break records with proper form. So right there he is not losing a match to any 4.5. 2nd he moves better than any big man in tennis, so he would definitely be a 5.0 the level of athleticism people like that have are insane.