Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How often do you play/ practice tennis? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462265)

Ducker 04-30-2013 08:17 PM

How often do you play/ practice tennis?
 
I know ages up to college tennis can sometimes play / practice a lot. But what about ages 22-35group. Often times these ages are heavily into work and family. I would be interested in hearing from people in this age group.

How often do you play/practice?
What age are you?
What ntrp level would you say you are from age 21- current?

Thanks!

HughJars 04-30-2013 08:34 PM

Prior to about 4 months ago I played on average once every 2 months for fun with a mate.

The last 4 months I have dedicated myself to the game after giving up football this season. I play 3 to 5 set matches at least twice a week (usually one mid week and one Saturday morning), have two coaching sesssions per week (one-on-one and a drop in), although I just started the one on one coaching I probably wont go with it much longer as its bloody expensive.

Then at least once a week I'll head down to the local courts and wall-hit or work on my serving.

If it wasn't for having to work 40 hours per week, and commitments with the missus, mates and my band I would play all day every day if I could.

Im 28. Self-rating of 3.0-3.5, but feel I've made rapid improvements the last couple of months, and would be up for challenging anyone to get better.

Relinquis 04-30-2013 08:51 PM

  • Practice 2-3 times a week. Play 1-2 times a week.
  • Old, am Federer aged.
  • Dunno NTRP.

scottydc5 04-30-2013 08:52 PM

I play/practice twice a week but want to play more but no one to hit with
Age 25 with a demanding job in airline industry
3.5

HughJars 04-30-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottydc5 (Post 7379416)
I play/practice twice a week but want to play more but no one to hit with
Age 25 with a demanding job in airline industry
3.5

What do you do in the airline industry mate? I was in it myself until recently.

Do you not have a club in your area?

scottydc5 04-30-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HughJars (Post 7379424)
What do you do in the airline industry mate? I was in it myself until recently.

Do you not have a club in your area?

I am aircraft mechanic. Actually just got off of a 17hr shift and got to be back at work in a couple hrs again.

There are a couple clubs but are at about a 1000usd a yr to join and cost extra for lessons, court time, tournaments and so forth. I was looking for just somepne to play and hit with to get me ready for the usta that i am hopig to rejoin.

pvaudio 04-30-2013 09:13 PM

I try to get in 4-5 times a week. 3 is more typical. Also in the mid 20s bracket. Don't believe in rating myself since I don't play actual league matches.

HughJars 04-30-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottydc5 (Post 7379440)
I am aircraft mechanic. Actually just got off of a 17hr shift and got to be back at work in a couple hrs again.

There are a couple clubs but are at about a 1000usd a yr to join and cost extra for lessons, court time, tournaments and so forth. I was looking for just somepne to play and hit with to get me ready for the usta that i am hopig to rejoin.

17 hours then back to work again - that's crazy....Im in health and safety. No way it would happen in Oz.

$1000 for membership is also ridiculous. Hope you find a hitting partner and get back on that tour mate. :)

cluckcluck 04-30-2013 09:32 PM

I'm in my 30's with a wife, a few kids, a couple of dogs, stringing biz, full time job and I still find time to play 3 times a week for a few hours and from time to time play weekends for an hour or two.

Typical night goes as follows:

Warm up
Groundstrokes
Light drills
Sets/Tie breaker(s)
Cool down

NTRP: 4.5

Vilgan 04-30-2013 09:50 PM

31. Getting back into the game after 15 years away. I started off pretty slow but have been ramping up more of my free time into tennis. It is a nice way to balance out sitting on my *** all day (software dev) and is a nice competitive outlet as well.

3 months ago - couldn't hit a groundstroke in more than like 35% of the time unless I sliced it. Crazy terrible swinging motion. Played once a week.
1.5 months ago - started getting more into it, upped my lessons to twice a week.
past 2 weeks - started getting even more into it. Now at 3 group lessons and another 1.5 to 3 hours with my hitting partner. I don't know that this rate is sustainable but I'm having fun :) I actually have a USTA tournament this weekend which will be my first.

As to the ntrp question.. when I couldn't get a groundstroke in I was probably around 2.0 although weirdly balanced. Spent a bit at 2.5 and am now (imo) a reasonably strong 3.0. I feel like I have lots to improve and hope to be a solid 3.5 later this year.

As for time, most people I know have plenty of time but just have to carve it out appropriately.

NLBwell 04-30-2013 10:01 PM

It's been a long time since I was that age, but I'm sure there are a lot of guys who have had the same experience as I did. I played about 4-6 times per week from 22 to about 25. Then, I pretty much quit playing for quite a while with wife, house, kids, etc.

HughJars 04-30-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vilgan (Post 7379507)
I actually have a USTA tournament this weekend which will be my first.

Good luck in your tournament. Please let us know how you go.

AYone 05-01-2013 04:01 AM

Good thread, but also sad reminder for me. I have a demanding job in lower Manhattan. Relegated to weekend tennis mostly. Hope to get out early once and a while during the week this spring/summer for after work practice. It's a struggle.

TomT 05-01-2013 04:30 AM

Most of my opponents are in the 25 to 45 age range, with regular jobs and families. It's tough for them to find the time to play as much as they want to.

As for myself, I first picked up a racquet when I was 27 and played every day for a little over a year back in 75-76, and then didn't play for about 36-37 years until starting back again last year.

Now I play every day that it isn't raining. Many days I go to the courts 2 or three times for short sessions. I hope to die on a tennis court with a racquet in my hand. But not any time soon. :)

samarai 05-01-2013 07:11 AM

Mid 40's, since my kids are older I play at the local playground 5-6 times per week 2 hour sessions.

mightyrick 05-01-2013 07:25 AM

Early 40s. I've been playing tennis for 4 years. I play 3 times per week on average. I'm a NTRP 3.5.

SharkysMV1 05-01-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AYone (Post 7379807)
Good thread, but also sad reminder for me. I have a demanding job in lower Manhattan. Relegated to weekend tennis mostly. Hope to get out early once and a while during the week this spring/summer for after work practice. It's a struggle.

I'm in the exact same boat. I work in Lower Manhattan and struggle to get home in time to play during daylight hours during the week. I take an indoor clinic on weekends and am just about to start a USTA league this weekend as well. Once the lights come on at night at the local courts (usually around Memorial day), i should be able to get a few hours in on weeknights.

maggmaster 05-01-2013 08:35 AM

To start with I am obsessive and I love training. I hit every day, about 20 hours per week and I get in the gym about 5 hours. I played as a junior through the 14s, took off to play soccer and then started up again at 26, I decided at that time that my goal was to be competitive in 35 nationals when I turn 35 in 4 years. Right now I am a 4.0.

LeeD 05-01-2013 08:58 AM

Currently, twice a week, most weeks. No practice, just doubles sets.
From '74-'78, 5 days a week, mostly 10-5PM, played 12 A/Open tourneys, lost by 3rd round in every one.

anubis 05-01-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducker (Post 7379357)
I know ages up to college tennis can sometimes play / practice a lot. But what about ages 22-35group. Often times these ages are heavily into work and family. I would be interested in hearing from people in this age group.

How often do you play/practice?
What age are you?
What ntrp level would you say you are from age 21- current?

Thanks!

I play two full matches per week.
I practice twice per week.
I am mid 30's
Started off NTRP 1.0, now I'm a 3.0.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse