Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Trying not to 'arm' your strokes? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462316)

Ehh 05-01-2013 10:18 AM

Trying not to 'arm' your strokes?

I am concerned that I am 'arming' my strokes.

The way I hit the ball is to do an extreme turn so that my chest is facing the back fence pretty much, and I'm looking all the way over my shoulder at the ball.

Then, I forcibly push off the back foot and spin around through my trunk, trying not to use any muscles in my arm or shoulder - trying to keep my arm like a dead piece of flesh attached to my body.

Whether forehand or backhand, I always hit every shot airborne - which I have to be because I'm violently spinning around at contact. Unless I want to twist my knees off I guess I have to be in the air.

I'll finish my stroke with my chest roughly facing the side fence - having spun around a bit more than 180 degrees throughout the stroke.

However - my problem is that although I'm trying to keep my arm as loose as a dead piece of meat attached to my body - I find I need to actively hold the racket. If I don't think about holding the racket (as people say you should do) - then it just flies out of my hand and nearly hits the guy on the other side of the net. If I have to think about holding my racket, then my arm isn't as dead and floppy and whip-like as I'd like it to be during the stroke.

Can you guys think of any way to correct this?

Power Player 05-01-2013 10:23 AM

You already posted this multiple times.

I can think of a way to correct it : Get lessons.

skiracer55 05-01-2013 11:11 AM

Bingo...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7380579)
You already posted this multiple times.

I can think of a way to correct it : Get lessons.

...you may be arming your strokes, but there's a ton of other things that aren't helping you. Go seek help via somebody who knows what he or she is doing...

user92626 05-01-2013 11:21 AM

PP, who cares, man. We talk about the same craps years after years in here... :)

Ehh,

I certainly wouldn't learn to "keep my arm as loose as a dead piece of meat attached to my body". As you have observed, naturally you need to actively swing the racket with your arm. That's first and foremost. Where the body comes in is when you need the range for your arm, ie the body turns along so the arm doesn't overstretch, it eases the arm's motion. Again, you need your arm active for controlling and whipping.

Power Player 05-01-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7380717)
PP, who cares, man. We talk about the same craps years after years in here... :)

Ehh,

I certainly wouldn't learn to "keep my arm as loose as a dead piece of meat attached to my body". As you have observed, naturally you need to actively swing the racket with your arm. That's first and foremost. Where the body comes in is when you need the range for your arm, ie the body turns along so the arm doesn't overstretch, it eases the arm's motion. Again, you need your arm active for controlling and whipping.

This is true, but he has literally made the same exact post multiple times. Do you really think someone is this inept - or possibly trolling instead?

anubis 05-01-2013 11:42 AM

You arm your strokes when you don't use your body. The minute you start to bend your knees, lower your center of gravity, unit turn, and shift your weight from one foot to the other, then (like magic) you stop arming the ball.

It isn't anything you need to think about, it's just that when nothing else is going on with the locomotion of your body, then all you have is your arm swinging a racquet. But when you get your entire body involved, then your arm is merely guiding the racquet: your body has already generated 95% of the power.

But you can't really learn this on your own. You have to see a teaching pro.

WildVolley 05-01-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7380736)
This is true, but he has literally made the same exact post multiple times. Do you really think someone is this inept - or possibly trolling instead?

Ehh has made a series of increasingly idiotic posts over the last week. The amazing thing is that anyone responds to his continual trolls.

Don't feed the TROLL!:twisted:

Really, why hasn't this troll been banned already?:confused:

user92626 05-01-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7380736)

PP and WV,

Maybe it's a sign that you guys spend way too much time here or you're way too serious. I feel like I come here ALOT, too, but following the board overall it still feels like Ehh is geniune in his questions and posting. Trolling or not, it takes some effort for him to write such a long post, and you know lots of guys are crazy and very green about tennis. Guys that are jaded tend to come in with a couple of sentences here and there and tend to be off topic. :)

As for "idiotic" and "inept", well, I'm not so judgemental so it kinda flies past me, but given the levels I see at the courts, I am not surprised that some people will never ever get the tennis they want.

Let's not call for banning anyone. Variety is fun.

WildVolley 05-01-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7381036)
PP and WV,

Maybe it's a sign that you guys spend way too much time here or you're way too serious. I feel like I come here ALOT, too, but following the board overall it still feels like Ehh is geniune in his questions and posting. Trolling or not, it takes some effort for him to write such a long post, and you know lots of guys are crazy and very green about tennis. Guys that are jaded tend to come in with a couple of sentences here and there and tend to be off topic. :)

As for "idiotic" and "inept", well, I'm not so judgemental so it kinda flies past me, but given the levels I see at the courts, I am not surprised that some people will never ever get the tennis they want.

Let's not call for banning anyone. Variety is fun.

Playing to trolls reduces the signal to noise ratio. If it is allowed to continue, this board will get worse than the one about the pros, which primarily consists of idiots insulting each other. We already have a number of posters who enter every thread and just insult each other. Also, it is better to be serious than to be an idiot.

Ehh is very clearly trolling. He doesn't even try to hide it. And repeatedly posting stupidity doesn't increase the value of this board except for very bored people.

boramiNYC 05-01-2013 02:08 PM

check whether your clavicles are close to horizontal. if not most likely the shoulder is lifted and not well settled. this leads to loose arm torso connection and suboptimal coordination and a lot of arming or too loose swing.

TennisCJC 05-02-2013 05:07 AM

Judging by your description of your technique, you are either trolling or a terrible tennis player without a clue of how to hit a ball.

Wilander Fan 05-02-2013 05:35 AM

Post a video. It sounds like you may not be accelerating through the ball. Dont use your chest against the fence as a reference as its imprecise and most people dont have the timing to do this. Instead, use your free hand to point to the back fence. Keep your elbow straight and keep the pointing motion through the swing so at the end of the follow through you are pointing again at the back fence.

Also, going airborn is the result of keeping knees bent end exploding up into the ball. For more spin and pace, start very low from a crouch positions and then leap into the ball while spinning. Look at some Gael Monfils highlights to see pros doing this.

arche3 05-02-2013 05:36 AM

I need to see a video of this asap!

pvaudio 05-02-2013 06:49 AM

Just don't give them easy access to weapons. Problem solved.

mightyrick 05-02-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 7381051)
Ehh is very clearly trolling. He doesn't even try to hide it. And repeatedly posting stupidity doesn't increase the value of this board except for very bored people.

Agree completely.

I stopped responding once I read this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ehh (Post 7368013)
I have a very narrow focus - all I'm interested in, in the game of tennis is to see how much topspin I can put on a ball, so I try to swing upwards faster and faster, and see how much of a loop I can get on the ball, see how high I can make that sucker kick off the court. I can play a clever rec player with flat shots and sneaky net approaches, and get destroyed, but that doesn't bother me much, because I don't really play tennis to win - I play to hit more and more topspin. We all have different priorities I guess.

Topspin Shot 05-02-2013 09:42 AM

Wait a second: is this dozu? I don't want to accuse anyone or anything like that, but he joined around the same time luvforty/dozu got banned. If you aren't dozu, then my apologies.

arche3 05-02-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 7382588)
Wait a second: is this dozu? I don't want to accuse anyone or anything like that, but he joined around the same time luvforty/dozu got banned. If you aren't dozu, then my apologies.

Ha classic! Please say this is true.

WildVolley 05-02-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspin Shot (Post 7382588)

You're not the only one to have suspicions. It isn't necessarily Dozu, but the posts read like a passive-aggressive who is angry at being banned.

Avles 05-02-2013 10:53 AM

It's not dozu, but it is a banned poster. He used to be known as "always_crosscourt." (Look up always_crosscourt's posts and you'll see how extremely similar they are).

I actually reported Ehh as a dupe account a month or so ago but no action as of yet...

hawk eye 05-02-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avles (Post 7382774)
It's not dozu, but it is a banned poster. He used to be known as "always_crosscourt." (Look up always_crosscourt's posts and you'll see how extremely similar they are).

I actually reported Ehh as a dupe account a month or so ago but no action as of yet...

According to the Lock &Roll guy Ehh is on the right track to hitting like a pro..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwg9D...8wKiA&index=25