Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Decoturf vs. plexicushion? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462558)

limitup 05-03-2013 12:53 PM

Decoturf vs. plexicushion?

Wasn't sure where to post this ...

Anyway, I'm incredibly lucky to be purchasing a new home on a large lot and it looks like my dream of having my own court might soon come true.

I'm trying to figure out the differences between the surfaces and wondering if you guys and gals might be able to chime in. Maybe someone has already been through all this and can share what they know.

Until now I've played mainly on various public courts. I assume the surface on your average public court is something inexpensive like deco color or plexipave?

Then there's decoturf and plexicushion which are the cushioned surfaces. With my knees starting to show signs of wear and tear I'm thinking this might be the better way to go, although it does cost quite a bit more.

I guess it's funny that I've never really considered what kind of surface I was playing on at the parks and other public courts and I'm just wondering if these are usually just asphalt with a basic decocolor/prexipave type surface, which would be the cheapest way to build a court...

Anyone?

Lukhas 05-03-2013 02:08 PM

Yeah? What kind of surface do you want? Fast, slow, high bounce, low bounce, rather slick...? Or maybe artificial grass if your knees are really a problem.

comeback 05-03-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7385025)
Yeah? What kind of surface do you want? Fast, slow, high bounce, low bounce, rather slick...? Or maybe artificial grass if your knees are really a problem.

I just was involved in putting 2 cushioned decoturf courts in my condo development..Because we are a 55's and over age group community, we wanted cushion but i had to learn that there are about 8 levels of cushioning (rubber mixed in) like the old rebound ace at the Autralian Open..
Anyway each level cost about 10-15k more..I never knew this but the decoturf at the US Open is considered a cushioned surface but the level is less than 1 percent..I think ours is around a 6 level..It plays great but gets a little sticky in real hot weather

limitup 05-03-2013 06:11 PM

I've heard there are different levels of cushioning you can get, but the court builders I've talked to have all just said that going with decoturf or plexicushion would cost an extra 15-20k. One of them did mention something about doing extra layers blah blah and you could end up with a 40k surface.

Thing is, now that I think about it, I don't know if I've ever played on decoturf or plexicushion. Supposedly it's (obviously) easier on your joints, but supposedly the ball is supposed to bounce about the same...