Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How many hours. (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462618)

Roger Wawrinka 05-04-2013 12:24 PM

How many hours.
 
Hey Guys, I was wondering how many hours a day do you think top Juniors train? Let's say the top 100 in the country.

Lukhas 05-04-2013 12:48 PM

Depends. 2 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week would be my guess. Not including eventual physical training, massages, ect. A bit less in tournaments. Every day is just not allowing you body to rest so I don't think they would play that much, or lighter stuff/something else than tennis.

tennis_balla 05-04-2013 02:35 PM

The typical is 4-5hrs on court plus fitness.

LeeD 05-04-2013 05:45 PM

4-5 minimum, 4 days a week.
2-4 on the other two days, one day off to recharge and refocus.

Relinquis 05-04-2013 06:11 PM

top 100? USAs? at least 4 hours, if not more...

LeeD 05-04-2013 07:02 PM

Heck, at 24 years of age, taking 4 years off work to learn to play tennis, I was at the courts easily 7 hours a day, which translates to about 4 on actual court time, 5 days a week.
I did need a couple full days off to make some money and to recharge the mental battery.

swedenparty 05-04-2013 10:28 PM

Depends, some train 2 hours tennis 1 h conditioning. Others more, if they are in an academy.
A normal high performance academy setup would be 1.5h tennis in the morning-drills , conditioning after, then lunch and break, then match play another 1.5-2 h.

GuyClinch 05-04-2013 11:04 PM

It depends when they start. If they started young they will get the needed training in early and can concentrate on things like strategy or fitness or adding a new shot etc.

There is a theory that most pursuits take 10,000 hours to master. So if they kid started when he was 8..and played 1200 hours each year he could start to play less by the time he was 16. But keep in mind he had to play several ours a day to hit that 1200 a year number.

Agassi for example could probably goof off some and still play great tennis. That gets chalked up to talent but its probably his dad making him play alot when he was tiny..

TCF 05-08-2013 11:06 AM

Top juniors can be very, very different in meaning. The level drops off a lot once you get outside the top 5. The top 3-5 kids in any age group are most of the time way better than the rest. Surprisingly even a kid ranked 9th can be far below the top few kids in their age group.

I can tell you first hand how the very top juniors train in our area of S. FL. The 2 kids winning most of the tournaments train from 8-11 am, then back home for online schooling, then more training from 4-7 pm. That is M-F. Saturday is 4 hours of rotating practice matches. Sunday is rest.

The 8-11 and 4-7 sessions are 2.5 hours of tennis each....solid tennis with only water breaks, .5 hour fitness and stretching each session. Thats 25 hours training, 4 hours practice matches, 5 hours fitness every week.

Every other weekend they play a tournament.

Its amazing the sheer volume of work these kids put in.

baba123 05-08-2013 11:53 AM

My mate who's in school and the top 50 in Britain trains roughly 2hours for 4of the 5 weekdays then he'll do 3-4 hitting on Saturday plus an hour fitness and conditioning and he would normally have some sort of match Sunday

Postpre 05-10-2013 05:24 PM

Hey TCF,

What age do they start this kind of training?

Martina Navratilova, in an interview with Robin Roberts, made an interesting statement that American tennis players (presumably at the junior level) may focus on tennis too much, and may not be developing athleticism through playing other sports. Here's the link when she's questioned about American tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...3h8oaM8#t=171s


Thoughts anyone?

TCF 05-11-2013 07:35 AM

postpre, some of these kids were 6 years old. But all that tennis is not a guarantee of anything.

I have to disagree with Martina though on the lack of other sports. Its not that tennis kids do not do enough other sports, its that our most athletic kids do not play tennis, which she did say. Go watch a group of basketball players, football players, soccer players, and a group tennis class....then tell me where the best athletes are.

I have been watching a large drop in tennis program in our area. The fact is most of the kids who show up are not very coordinated and failed at other sports....so the parents get them into tennis. There are a few nice athletes, but they are rare.

goran_ace 05-11-2013 01:38 PM

It really is different for each kid. Based on what people are guessing already you'd probably be surprised how little time some of these kids actually spend on the court. Not all elite juniors are academy kids or home schooled. I played at the same club as a kid who was top 5 in the country in 16s and 18s and he only played 1-1.5 hours a day 5 times a week. Coached by his dad (who was a teaching pro), went to a normal high school. Knew some other kids top 10 in their age groups and same thing. With the intensity of the practice sessions we did in our junior program when I was playing there is no way anyone could be playing 4-5 hours a day.

TCF 05-11-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goran_ace (Post 7404486)
It really is different for each kid. Based on what people are guessing already you'd probably be surprised how little time some of these kids actually spend on the court. Not all elite juniors are academy kids or home schooled. I played at the same club as a kid who was top 5 in the country in 16s and 18s and he only played 1-1.5 hours a day 5 times a week. Coached by his dad (who was a teaching pro), went to a normal high school. Knew some other kids top 10 in their age groups and same thing. With the intensity of the practice sessions we did in our junior program when I was playing there is no way anyone could be playing 4-5 hours a day.

True, no doubt kids can be top 10 USTA and train less. But the true top juniors....top ITF, big difference in levels. They train split sessions, 4-6 total hours per day at high intensity.

I saw the top Russian kids first hand just a month ago and the intensity and duration is way more than I can remember even 5 years ago. I imagine some will fall due to overuse injuries.

BMC9670 05-11-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 7403571)
postpre, some of these kids were 6 years old. But all that tennis is not a guarantee of anything.

If this is true, it's completely insane! I'd go as far as to say that physical training for 6 hours a day for a 6 year old is abuse. Bodies that young are not developed enough to take that kind of stress - even if done "correctly". A high level teen training for D1 or the pros, sure, but it's sad that people are subjecting very young kids to this kind of training for what amounts to a lottery ticket.

I knew a guy a few years back that had his 8 and 10 year old doing splits for 2 hours AM and 2 hours PM every day. He was super demanding. Sure they were nice players... but then they disappeared from the club. When I finally caught up with him, one of the kids was in a boot for stress fractures and the other was staying with her mother after a messy divorce, in his words "because she doesn't get it".

Overdrive 05-11-2013 06:10 PM

Hey guys, do you a coach could develop more athletic players if he/she introduces morning and afternoon practice?

TCF 05-11-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMC9670 (Post 7404922)
If this is true, it's completely insane! I'd go as far as to say that physical training for 6 hours a day for a 6 year old is abuse. Bodies that young are not developed enough to take that kind of stress - even if done "correctly". A high level teen training for D1 or the pros, sure, but it's sad that people are subjecting very young kids to this kind of training for what amounts to a lottery ticket.

I knew a guy a few years back that had his 8 and 10 year old doing splits for 2 hours AM and 2 hours PM every day. He was super demanding. Sure they were nice players... but then they disappeared from the club. When I finally caught up with him, one of the kids was in a boot for stress fractures and the other was staying with her mother after a messy divorce, in his words "because she doesn't get it".

The Russian coach told me "she turned 6 only 2 weeks ago". So this little girl was barely 6 and playing 6 hours a day.....insanity.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse