Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Drills / Games for odd numbers of players (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462642)

JRstriker12 05-04-2013 05:40 PM

Drills / Games for odd numbers of players

I'm getting a tennis group together that meets up sundays. Looks like this week we have 5 people. I don't want to tell the 5th guy not to come out (though I did warn him he was sort of odd man out), but I don't want one person to sit around either.

Any suggestions on drills games that let you rotate in a 5th player?

psv255 05-04-2013 05:53 PM

If you have several courts to work with, you can set up a tiebreak-playing court and a practice hitting court (practicing with a specific purpose of course)

Winner stays on, other guy switches with someone from practice court, ad infinitum...

If only one court, perhaps king of the court? (or king of the court doubles)
(i.e. one person is the king, feed starts a point, a person needs to win 2 pts in a row against the king or they switch out)

hope this gives you some ideas. cheers

JRstriker12 05-04-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psv255 (Post 7386687)
If you have several courts to work with, you can set up a tiebreak-playing court and a practice hitting court (practicing with a specific purpose of course)

Winner stays on, other guy switches with someone from practice court, ad infinitum...

If only one court, perhaps king of the court? (or king of the court doubles)
(i.e. one person is the king, feed starts a point, a person needs to win 2 pts in a row against the king or they switch out)

hope this gives you some ideas. cheers

Good ideas! Thanks!

Carefree 05-06-2013 12:14 PM

If you have 2 courts (ie. 3 people on 1 court) there are a couple of things:

1: 2 on 1 hitting. Focus on backhand or forehand. The (1) should come back towards the middle and move out to hit a cross court or down the line bh/fh. It's quite tiring and you can just rotate after x number of balls.

2: As a game, there's a game called "Grand Slam". It's singles points. Best of 3 points. If you win 2 of 3 you stay on, if you win all 3 you get a "slam". After all 4 slams have been taken for the year, you move on to the next "season", basically until you get sick of it.

user92626 05-06-2013 12:54 PM

Play doubles with the 5th guy practicing to be a ballboy. Then, next set he's got to pick his partner from the loser pair. Extra guy becomes the ballboy. Ballboy can't pick the same partner until all combinations have been used.

boramiNYC 05-06-2013 04:35 PM

with 3 players on one court, you can do round robin two games play, each getting a chance to serve a game. score will be either draw or 2-0. do a few rounds of round robin and tally the scores. good combo of intense point play and some rest.

LeeD 05-06-2013 04:40 PM

2 on 1 can be the best practice, since the 1 can hit CC or DTL, while the 2 stay fresh hitting only 1/2 the shots. Then rotate every 20 minutes.
You can keep score like a non serving set, to 11 or 21.

JRstriker12 05-07-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7390026)
Play doubles with the 5th guy practicing to be a ballboy. Then, next set he's got to pick his partner from the loser pair. Extra guy becomes the ballboy. Ballboy can't pick the same partner until all combinations have been used.

Meh... to much standing around, especially if you play a full set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boramiNYC (Post 7390438)
with 3 players on one court, you can do round robin two games play, each getting a chance to serve a game. score will be either draw or 2-0. do a few rounds of round robin and tally the scores. good combo of intense point play and some rest.

Good idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7390445)
2 on 1 can be the best practice, since the 1 can hit CC or DTL, while the 2 stay fresh hitting only 1/2 the shots. Then rotate every 20 minutes.
You can keep score like a non serving set, to 11 or 21.

2 on 1 is good hitting. The single person on the one side really has to work.

----------
BTW- We lucked out and ended up with an even 4 players. I won both my dubs sets after we switched partners :)