Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   a simple way of upgrading my serve power/speed? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462656)

Rozroz 05-05-2013 01:52 AM

a simple way of upgrading my serve power/speed?

i have a permanent power/speed shortage in all my serves, and i cannot find any solution of solving it ATM.
i developed a good selection to add variety so i can hold games with changing serves when i need to (flat, "rafter", slice, kick), and i even manage to keep the consistency of 1st serves. but i just have lame power/speed on all of them.
even when i hit a decent flat, it can hardly reach the fence after 1st bounce.

i will try to shoot a video soon, but i wonder if there's any "quick fixes" for power? i know it's not just "build more muscle power", because i can see older people and 13yr girls who can get at least x2 more speed than me.

thanks.

gregor.b 05-05-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozroz (Post 7387057)
i have a permanent power/speed shortage in all my serves, and i cannot find any solution of solving it ATM.
i developed a good selection to add variety so i can hold games with changing serves when i need to (flat, "rafter", slice, kick), and i even manage to keep the consistency of 1st serves. but i just have lame power/speed on all of them.

i will try to shoot a video soon, but i wonder if there's any "quick fixes" for power? i know it's not just "build more muscle power", because i can see older people and 13yr girls who can get at least x2 more speed than me.

thanks.

Try holding the racquet a little lower and 'loosey goosey' on the grip. Relax it a heap and the RHS should increase instantly. Also, increase shoulder flexibility and range of motion will help a lot.

GoudX 05-05-2013 02:24 AM

Hard to tell, without knowing what you are already doing.

Make sure you are doing the following things correctly, as these are the main sources of power in an advanced serve:

-Muscle relaxed (frees up the range of movement, allowing more power if the technique is correct)
-Knee bend
-Weight transfer forward into the court
-Forearm pronation
-Dropping the racquet head as your elbow raises up , just before the swing into contact
-Rotation of shoulders through the shot

All of these factor into the amount of power a technique can generate, but they won't necessarily give you a working serve. Your lack of power might be because you are unable to swing out at the ball, due to the height at which you are hitting the ball, or the trajectory you are hitting along.

Rozroz 05-05-2013 02:30 AM

good tips. i suppose i know them, but maybe just don't implant most of them enough.

i definitely have to make a new video soon!!
(but when i do i usually get so depressed :( )

GoudX 05-05-2013 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozroz (Post 7387076)
good tips. i suppose i know them, bit maybe just don't implant most of them enough.

i definitely have to make a new video soon!!
(but when i do i usually get so depressed :( )

Don't get depressed, knowing what you are doing wrong is essential to improve. Everyone here could do with making a few changes to their strokes, and someone who takes the time to take note of what they are doing wrong, will probably have better shots in the long run.

Rozroz 05-05-2013 05:32 AM

ha ha.. well now i got no choice! just went out and finally bought the Gorillapod so i could now easily stick the cam on the back fence :)

Chas Tennis 05-05-2013 06:38 AM

Watch only the extremely rapid elbow axial rotation just before and after ball impact.

https://vimeo.com/63709517

https://vimeo.com/27528701

https://vimeo.com/63688132

Several other videos in that collection show the same rotation for the serve.

Hold your arm straight out from your shoulder and rotate it.

Watch the Todd Ellenbecker video for details on this motion and important safety advice when serving. See reply #16.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...shoulder+video

tennytive 05-05-2013 06:49 AM

Easiest way is to make sure your toss is more out front so you can lean more into the court on contact getting more weight behind your serve.

Works for me.

TennisCJC 05-05-2013 07:00 AM

Next time on court, try throwing the tennis ball about 30 feet in the air over the net and make it go as far as you can. Do this by throwing smoothly upward through the contact zone. Don't overthrow because tennis balls are light and you can hurt your shoulder. Then take a few shadow swings and thing of throwing the racket head up thru the contact zone. Then serve about 10-20 ball thinking of throwing the racket head thru contact and try to make the ball land past the opposite baseline. Then keep the concept of throwing the racket head upward thru the ball and add a bit of spin until your ball begins to land in the service box.

Another thing to try is a shoulder rotation drill. Stand with feet at 45 degree angled open stance toward service box. Try serving by rotating your shoulders and hips without moving your feet. Rotate shoulders back as you go into trophy stance and then rotate into contact as you swing up and forward. Feet do not move as you are hitting with hip and shoulder rotation.

Do drill above with loose grip and sometimes add another facet by dangling your grip pinky off the bottom of the frame. This forces you to use rythm and flow rather than squeezing muscles.

I have a friend over 60 years old and under 6' tall that uses a stable stance serve as his "game" serve and he can hit serves that land within a couple of feet of the fence without any leg push. He adds spin to get some carry on the ball. You can hit quite hard without any leg action.

Also, maybe see a good pro for a couple of lessons which is probably better than anything you'll learn here.

Rozroz 05-05-2013 07:30 AM

many thanks for those extra tips! eager to go try them!
i'll try to shoot that video tomorrow :)

ls206 05-05-2013 07:47 AM

Something that's not usually mentioned - the ball toss. You might need to place the ball further into the court.

GoudX 05-05-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennytive (Post 7387274)
Easiest way is to make sure your toss is more out front so you can lean more into the court on contact getting more weight behind your serve.

Works for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls206 (Post 7387377)
Something that's not usually mentioned - the ball toss. You might need to place the ball further into the court.

Best not to assume without seeing the action, if he already has a good ball toss, hitting further in front will wreck his control and consistency, without adding power.

That said, having the ball toss the correct height and distance into the court is vital. If it is too low or close, you will be unable to bring your body weight through the shot and you will still be accelerating when you hit the ball: which means less predictability and less power than hitting when the swing is at a point with a more constant speed.

mightyrick 05-05-2013 08:55 AM

Toss more into the court. Slow down the arm a little, loosen up your grip and your arm up until contact. When you make contact, consciously freeze the elbow keeping it high... until the racquet head points down towards the court.

Rozroz 05-05-2013 11:19 AM

i managed to give a little try to some of your tips in a quick practice.

first of all, i gotta say the "pinky out" trick is not bad at all. makes the whole motion more relaxed and fluid, and gives more pop. feels a bit too free at first but i got used to it.
my toss is at front as it is, tried tossing a bit more forward. as Goudx says, it might mess things up a little.
freezing the elbow and proper snap/pronation are things i still not well accustomed to.

well, i'm sure after i'll post a video we'll all be more productive.
still, the fence was a feet away even with my best serves.

TomT 05-05-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozroz (Post 7387057)

thanks.

I don't know about older people and 13yr girls having 2x more speed than you. Maybe a little bit, but not 2x. If you're almost hitting the fence on one bounce, then you're not that far from a reasonably fast serve, depending on your level.

My serves usually hit the fence in one bounce and sometimes stick or go through. I don't swing hard. I don't arch much, or bend my knees much or do anything like explode from a trophy position to the point of contact. But for my level (3.0 to 4.0) I have a serve that's apparently relatively hard for my opponents to handle. All I'm focusing on when I'm serving is to be relaxed, have a relaxed grip and arm, and a good wrist snap into contact.

What other posters have said about putting the toss a bit more into the court so that your point of contact is a bit farther out in front might help. Doing this has helped me to get a little bit more easy power on my serve.

At this point we need some vids from you to see why you're not getting the pace you want on your serve.

Lukhas 05-05-2013 12:32 PM

I wouldn't make assumptions before I see the actual serve. It could be anything from the toss, the arm, the shoulder, the hips, the legs, the stance, etc. Anything.

TomT 05-05-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7387938)
I wouldn't make assumptions before I see the actual serve. It could be anything from the toss, the arm, the shoulder, the hips, the legs, the stance, etc. Anything.

Good point. Need vids.

Rozroz 05-05-2013 01:19 PM

video soon! :)
many thanks for the meantime.

LeeD 05-05-2013 02:05 PM

Short guys, extended length rackets.

Rozroz 05-05-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7388090)
Short guys, extended length rackets.

yea, i'm a tennis midget (1.70m), so i guess the pinky trick is extra useful.
in fact, it immediately made the whole serve relaxed and flowing, as TennisCJC said.

P.S - should i do it on all the serves? on the more spinny serves it felt weirder.