Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Is this the reason why people hate eagnas?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462660)

tyu1314 05-05-2013 04:25 AM

Is this the reason why people hate eagnas??
 
http://www.eagnas.com/bad.html I know that eagnas machine use cheaper parts, but you pay what you get for.Just wondering is this the reason why so many people dislike eagnas machine?I never use their machine, but i will probably not buy machine from this company because i read so many awful things about them,especially their customer service.After i read this page, i ask myself,maybe some of the comments i read could be wrong. They may be one of those angry customer bad mouthing about this company because eagnas refuse to sell them parts for other company's machine.Since words spread through internet like STDs, many people may be brainwashed, even though they never use any of their machine, i am one of them.
What is your opinion about this company's machine?? I am currently using a klippermate, i may upgrade it to one of eagnas's machine in the future,unless i win the lottery.

SoCal10s 05-05-2013 05:03 AM

I had one of their machines .. it looks real nice until you actually use it.. when you use it ,things sort of get 'stuck' the parts just doesn't feel like a nice fit.. even after cleaning and lubricating it,it still feel bad.. you'd be better off buying a used Ektelon/Neos ,which I did and very satisfied with for years now..

drgchen 05-05-2013 05:08 AM

Rumors and prejudices often have some sort of basis. The worst thing to have is a tool that is not fit for the job. Whenever I have purchased a lesser or cheaper tool, I have wanted to replace it later on with the professional quality tool. I haven't used Eagnas but I haven't had any problems with Gamma

struggle 05-05-2013 09:54 AM

perfectly serviceable for some folks, others have "problems".

not as nice as gamma/neos/etc. no.

tennis_ocd 05-06-2013 06:32 AM

I've been fully satisfied with their machine and customer service.

Dr. Perry 05-06-2013 11:03 AM

I bought a starting clamp and a Mini-STT from them.

Before placing the order, I spoke with Victor. He didn't give me a straightforward answer when I asked what I should expect given the competitive prices they have. I think he knows his products so well that he can't stand up and say they are just as good as the more expensive alternatives. One thing he did say was that he wouldn't want my business because I asked too many questions.

The starting clamp looks fine except the surface looks very dull or old, maybe it is due to the type of metal. The mini-STT is great! It works perfectly.

To the OP's question, the risk is at after sales service. If you choose someone else, the preimum you pay probably goes to that.

Vlad_C 05-06-2013 11:52 PM

I have a Pro's Pro machine, which is very similar to some Eagnas models - probably made in the same factory, who knows.
Anyway, these are the kind of machines that would be best suited for DIY people - you should expect to have to fix something or other sooner or later, and have to improvise when necessary due to lack of replacement parts.
My machine needed some service right after I received it, due to poor assembly / lack of quality control, plus damage during shipping due to being shipped in a box too fragile for an item of this weight.

One thing I can say though, the place I bought it from, those guys were very nice and they sent me a few replacement parts at no extra charge whatsoever, not even for the shipping. I suppose they know what they sell.

But anyway, the machine works now, and I am ok with it. Not thrilled, but not disappointed either, I kind of knew what I was buying. Basically you get what you pay for.
I use the machine for my personal stringing only, so that's not a lot. For this, it was difficult to justify spending any more money on a high end machine.

max 05-07-2013 05:18 AM

Why bother? Explore Alpha's models; they make good stuff, from what I've seen.

Power Player 05-07-2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max (Post 7391200)
Why bother? Explore Alpha's models; they make good stuff, from what I've seen.

Agree. Buy from Mark at Alpha. Trust me. Things do go wrong with machines and when you are not be able to string your racquet for long periods of time you will wish you spent the extra cash.

Dimcorner 05-07-2013 05:45 AM

FWIW I have bought 2 machines from them. A badminton table top crank set which I have used for +6 years and recently sold and now a Combo 910. They both work great so far.

scotus 05-07-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7391244)
Agree. Buy from Mark at Alpha. Trust me. Things do go wrong with machines and when you are not be able to string your racquet for long periods of time you will wish you spent the extra cash.

Mark at Alpha? Didn't he leave Alpha to work somewhere else? Same for Bret from Gamma.

TennisCJC 05-08-2013 09:29 AM

I have never used Eagnas. I have a friend that has a crank Eagnas on a stand. I have seen it and it looks nice. He likes it and has not had any issues in couple of years of low volume use. He probably only strings 3 or 4 rackets per month at most.

Power Player 05-08-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotus (Post 7391467)
Mark at Alpha? Didn't he leave Alpha to work somewhere else? Same for Bret from Gamma.

If he did it would be really recent, as he did some repairs for me a month ago.

cluckcluck 05-08-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7395274)
If he did it would be really recent, as he did some repairs for me a month ago.

He's still there, he's just under New Tech now.

barry 05-08-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7395274)
If he did it would be really recent, as he did some repairs for me a month ago.

Your alpha broke? My two Eagnas machines have been running for 14 and 6 years respectively. No repairs other than a broken clutch spring on the drop weight. $14 dollar spring hour repair.

I think most people read negative posts from people who have never used an Eagnas product. I have strung on a variety of machines and believe the Eagnas is one of the best values out there. For me they work and do the job at a reasonable price.

All are made in China probably from the same parts companies. One exception klipper is made in the USA.

lostinamerica 05-08-2013 02:06 PM

I've had an Eagnas Combo 3800 since 2005. It has had only 1 issue. One of my clamp housings stripped. It cost me about $100 to replace. I had no issues with them. I did my work through e-mail.

I've strung probably about 500 rackets. I string for myself and occasionally teach someone to string so it is not seriously heavy duty stringing.

Power Player 05-08-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry (Post 7395996)
Your alpha broke? My two Eagnas machines have been running for 14 and 6 years respectively. No repairs other than a broken clutch spring on the drop weight. $14 dollar spring hour repair.

I think most people read negative posts from people who have never used an Eagnas product. I have strung on a variety of machines and believe the Eagnas is one of the best values out there. For me they work and do the job at a reasonable price.

All are made in China probably from the same parts companies. One exception klipper is made in the USA.

No, I sold my alpha dropweight and bought a Stringway. He serviced it for me since they do carry stringway.

I bought it with a clamping issue that at some point had to be addressed. But I bought my alpha from him, got great support as a noob stringer. Then went to him after I got the stringway as it was a tricky fix and he did that as well.

barry 05-08-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostinamerica (Post 7396052)
I've had an Eagnas Combo 3800 since 2005. It has had only 1 issue. One of my clamp housings stripped. It cost me about $100 to replace. I had no issues with them. I did my work through e-mail.

I've strung probably about 500 rackets. I string for myself and occasionally teach someone to string so it is not seriously heavy duty stringing.

My only complaint about the 3800 was we had to move it to another facility. sucker was heavy! The rotational gripper was interesting, little different than the Gamma 5800.

I tell all my customers they should try the 99s and bring it in for me to string! Crank one out it 15 minutes, love the open pattern!

max 05-09-2013 06:46 AM

This was a topic that came up about two years ago, and I was curious and read about it.

It seems like much of the complaint came from people seeking "foreign" non-Eagnas parts!

I think that's very odd to do. I can appreciate the guy feeling this is nonsense: you get McDonald's french fries from McDonald's.

The other things seemed to be (a) the guy's from another country and so both parties communicating might have difficulties, and (b) perhaps, like some of us, the owner isn't a people-person. So it goes.

I think the thing to do is to see if there are any hard facts around about mechanical reliability. Or just buy an Alpha.

lostinamerica 05-10-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barry (Post 7396175)
My only complaint about the 3800 was we had to move it to another facility. sucker was heavy! The rotational gripper was interesting, little different than the Gamma 5800.

I tell all my customers they should try the 99s and bring it in for me to string! Crank one out it 15 minutes, love the open pattern!

Yes, it is very heavy.

You should tell your customers to try the 105S.. They are even easier to string. There is even a little more room between the mains.

I've been demoing the 99S and 105S and I actually like the 105S a little better so I decided to go with it (even though enough friends make fun of my big racquet). What I hate is I can't keep strings in these racquets. I have been stringing 1 with Ashaway Crossfire 18 while using Tourbite 17 Soft in the others. I have not been able to get a full singles match out of a string bed. I will be going to sectionals in a few months and have resigned myself to having to show up with 6 freshly strung racquets and extra string.

Also, the 3800 is not the type of machine designed to take with you. It is way to heavy.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse