Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   For Floyd (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462719)

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 07:22 PM

For Floyd
 
So I got to hit with my radical tonight... Poly was definitely the wrong choice for this frame. I also need to tail weight it because it feels a bit too HH for my liking. However, I found that if I time my strokes right and consistently find the sweetspot, I could hit a very heavy ball with decent control. I need more power though to be quite honest. Think the change in string would help?

The best part about this racket was the serve. Ohhhh my! Hahaha. I didn't double fault even once!

jackcrawford 05-05-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388631)
I need more power though to be quite honest. Think the change in string would help?

I'm not Floyd, but here's my 2 cents; http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/revi...NSTreview.html This is a great frame - hits like an MG radical MP, but lots more pop. If something like 17 guage multi doesn't give you enough pop in the rad, this would do the trick. Full poly at 48 # gives plenty of pop in the 18 X 19 pattern.

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackcrawford (Post 7388644)
I'm not Floyd, but here's my 2 cents; http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/revi...NSTreview.html This is a great frame - hits like an MG radical MP, but lots more pop. If something like 17 guage multi doesn't give you enough pop in the rad, this would do the trick. Full poly at 48 # gives plenty of pop in the 18 X 19 pattern.

That's ok! Floyd was the person that convinced me to buy a pair and he wanted to know how I like them. I'm not quite sure if I like them or not though. They're actually a little too demanding for me at the moment. Mg instinct would be hard to find...

Larrysümmers 05-05-2013 08:00 PM

MULTI THAT BABY UP. im biased to nxt, but it felt and played like a beast in the rad

P.Floyd 05-05-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388631)
So I got to hit with my radical tonight... Poly was definitely the wrong choice for this frame. I also need to tail weight it because it feels a bit too HH for my liking. However, I found that if I time my strokes right and consistently find the sweetspot, I could hit a very heavy ball with decent control. I need more power though to be quite honest. Think the change in string would help?

The best part about this racket was the serve. Ohhhh my! Hahaha. I didn't double fault even once!

Ok, man, I do have some thoughts. First, yeah, poly was a bad choice and I didn't want to sound like a broken record, but definitely think you should try gut on at least one of them. Crazy as it sounds, synth gut was also really nice on this racquet. I liked OGSM on it, really nice pop. Again, this is presuming you want to take a step back from top-spin focus.

Natural Gut will give you more pop than the Cyclone at stock specs. You could also restring at a lower tension (have no idea what tension you went with). If all else fails, you could also add lead to the top of the hoop or between 9 and 3 o'clock. The MGRMP is 11 oz strung, that gives you a ton to work with to find your right balance and needed pop. Beyond that, you could probably go fully silicone into the handle, get crazy feel in the process and still way less than the 200 Tour you were just testing. That's the great thing about this racquet, you can turn it into pretty much whatever you want.

P.Floyd 05-05-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388652)
That's ok! Floyd was the person that convinced me to buy a pair and he wanted to know how I like them. I'm not quite sure if I like them or not though. They're actually a little too demanding for me at the moment. Mg instinct would be hard to find...

They should be way less demanding that the 200 Tour; not the case?

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.Floyd (Post 7388675)
They should be way less demanding that the 200 Tour; not the case?

I'm not sure if it was the racket or just me, but it was really hard to find the sweet spot and the power was really low. Strung @50lbs.

RE weighting, this definitely needs weight in the grip. I don't think I'll string gut man haha I just am scared to put that much money into strings. And, tbh, I'm not sure if I really like the head grip shape anymore :( ugh maybe I just suck at tennis and should give up lol.

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388680)
I'm not sure if it was the racket or just me, but it was really hard to find the sweet spot and the power was really low. Strung @50lbs.

RE weighting, this definitely needs weight in the grip. I don't think I'll string gut man haha I just am scared to put that much money into strings. And, tbh, I'm not sure if I really like the head grip shape anymore :( ugh maybe I just suck at tennis and should give up lol.

Oh and to answer your question, they were only slightly less demanding.

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larrysümmers (Post 7388665)
MULTI THAT BABY UP. im biased to nxt, but it felt and played like a beast in the rad

Thanks Larry. Will consider it.

BIGJ98 05-05-2013 08:25 PM

Just give the mg radical some time. It has a lot of control but you will then get used to it and then swing harder. I have two and love them. They allow me to go for my shots. A powerful string should help a lot too.

BIGJ98 05-05-2013 08:26 PM

Also a I have mine with two leather grips which helps make it more head light.

P.Floyd 05-05-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388683)
Oh and to answer your question, they were only slightly less demanding.

Hmm, I just typed up a bunch of stuff and deleted it. Now I'm concerned that perhaps you are expecting this to play like a tempered pure drive or aeropro. Is that what you were hoping for?

If so, it never will. I mean, you can definitely dial in the right power combo with this frame, and keep weight very reasonable, but it's never going to be a 10.5 oz cannon. Again, adding some lead will definitely improve the power, as will the strings, but it's not going to be THAT much different. So, do you think you're pretty close or pretty far?

Beyond that, did you like the feel?

P.Floyd 05-05-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGJ98 (Post 7388690)
Just give the mg radical some time. It has a lot of control but you will then get used to it and then swing harder. I have two and love them. They allow me to go for my shots. A powerful string should help a lot too.

Yeah, at 315 SW, you really need to swing quickly.

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.Floyd (Post 7388696)
Hmm, I just typed up a bunch of stuff and deleted it. Now I'm concerned that perhaps you are expecting this to play like a tempered pure drive or aeropro. Is that what you were hoping for?

If so, it never will. I mean, you can definitely dial in the right power combo with this frame, and keep weight very reasonable, but it's never going to be a 10.5 oz cannon. Again, adding some lead will definitely improve the power, as will the strings, but it's not going to be THAT much different. So, do you think you're pretty close or pretty far?

Beyond that, did you like the feel?

Loved the feel actually. Nice and flexy.

I think that I have been looking for rackets that are actually too demanding for me. Something with a much larger sweet spot would probably be beneficial. Idk man. This racket seemed to swallow me up tonight...

P.Floyd 05-05-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388702)
Loved the feel actually. Nice and flexy.

I think that I have been looking for rackets that are actually too demanding for me. Something with a much larger sweet spot would probably be beneficial. Idk man

When you say too demanding, do you mean just the lack of pop or are you framing the ball, or just totally uncontrollable with your shots?

The fact that you love the feel is really important; everything else can usually be fixed up or at least somewhat improved.

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.Floyd (Post 7388706)
When you say too demanding, do you mean just the lack of pop or are you framing the ball, or just totally uncontrollable with your shots?

The fact that you love the feel is really important; everything else can usually be fixed up or at least somewhat improved.

Re demanding, all of the above. I even tried to set up early and still managed to hit off center or launched the ball or framed it.

P.Floyd 05-05-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388707)
Re demanding, all of the above. I even tried to set up early and still managed to hit off center or launched the ball or framed it.

Frankly, just sounds like you're not used to them. If you were striking cleanly and still not getting much pop, I think that would be more of a concern. Were you framing with the PD or APD, as those are only 2 sq.in. larger in terms of the stringbed?

P.Floyd 05-05-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeHitsHard93 (Post 7388707)
Re demanding, all of the above. I even tried to set up early and still managed to hit off center or launched the ball or framed it.

Wait, wait, wait, how in the world were you playing with a Prestige MP then?

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.Floyd (Post 7388717)
Frankly, just sounds like you're not used to them. If you were striking cleanly and still not getting much pop, I think that would be more of a concern. Were you framing with the PD or APD, as those are only 2 sq.in. larger in terms of the stringbed?

I was not framing much at all with those rackets, no. Btw really appreciate this as always.

MikeHitsHard93 05-05-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.Floyd (Post 7388723)
Wait, wait, wait, how in the world were you playing with a Prestige MP then?

I think it has something to do with the SW tbh! The ig prestige mp felt less demanding than the ig radical mp...


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse