Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   UGA's Singh leaves team effectively immediately... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=462907)

HoosTennis 05-07-2013 03:09 PM

UGA's Singh leaves team effectively immediately...

wow, shocking, to someone who hasn't been following UGa. Were there any issues?

Link to the story below

http://www.redandblack.com/sports/se...a4bcf6878.html

ClarkC 05-07-2013 03:14 PM

Very surprising. I have no idea what happened. I know that he supposedly transferred from Illinois because he needed more scholarship money, among other issues. He was also suspended from a few matches earlier this year, with no details given.

A successful pro career is a long shot. I hope he is still in school and about to graduate and move on with life.

bluetrain4 05-07-2013 03:28 PM

You'd think he could at least wait until the end of the season since that is only a few weeks away. So, it had to be fairly serious issues with coach and/or teammates. I guess it could be something like a family emergency as well, but for some reason I don't think that's it. Illinois could sure use him. The NCAA should allow one "express transfer" per year. Lol.

And UVA's path to the championship gets even better.

Kirijax 05-07-2013 03:30 PM

Surprising. How far will UGA go now without Singh?

ClarkC 05-07-2013 03:31 PM

Georgia played and won some matches without Singh this year, but a national title is out of the question, and living up to their seed is pretty unlikely, also.

Clemson_tennis 05-07-2013 03:39 PM

Pretty surprising. I wonder if it's related to why he missed so much of the season earlier in the year.

Georgia will probably lose to Oklahoma now.

mikej 05-07-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirijax (Post 7393498)
Surprising. How far will UGA go now without Singh?

not past OU probably - and Wake might give them a decent challenge now

but let's be honest - this team wasn't a title contender with KU to begin with - maybe they would have made semis, maybe, but only because the other top 8 seed in their section of the draw was Ole Miss who didn't even make the quarters of their conference tournie

adios KU - good luck on tour - lol

Clemson_tennis 05-07-2013 03:46 PM

KU has a shot of cracking the top 300 or 250 if he decides to commit to the ATP.

mikej 05-07-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 7393536)
KU has a shot of cracking the top 300 or 250 if he decides to commit to the ATP.

fantastic - so he can make as much as the average mcdonald's employee - except with massive travel and coaching and stringing expenses - brilliant guy if that is his career plan, diaz will be laughing at his jackass decision to abandon the team - his quote about the team being more together seems suggestive of KU's personality, one that i always thought was likely during last year watching him do an entire variety show while yelling "BREAK ON THREE!!!!" or whatever court he was on any time he got a break in a singles match

clearly i don't like him (yes, i know, Duke is not without an in-your-face personality or two - i do my best to tolerate them since they're in Durham), the fact that this means the SEC will do even worse in the tourney is a bonus

again, good riddance KU, i haven't been this excited that someone is gone from college tennis since alex clayton

Clemson_tennis 05-07-2013 04:02 PM

Duke started the "break on X court" or "set on X court" in the early 2000s. True story.

Vicious Vik 05-07-2013 04:06 PM

Don't blame KU for this everyone. Blame the people around him. Coach Diaz has been terrible at dealing with the situation this year.

bluetrain4 05-07-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 7393551)
fantastic - so he can make as much as the average mcdonald's employee - except with massive travel and coaching and stringing expenses - brilliant guy if that is his career plan, diaz will be laughing at his jackass decision to abandon the team - his quote about the team being more together seems suggestive of KU's personality, one that i always thought was likely during last year watching him do an entire variety show while yelling "BREAK ON THREE!!!!" or whatever court he was on any time he got a break in a singles match

clearly i don't like him (yes, i know, Duke is not without an in-your-face personality or two - i do my best to tolerate them since they're in Durham), the fact that this means the SEC will do even worse in the tourney is a bonus

again, good riddance KU, i haven't been this excited that someone is gone from college tennis since alex clayton

I'm sure most players know the cost of a tennis career and the slim chance of "making it" as a pro. As long as they know this, I don't think there's anything wrong with them trying. I mean, there has to be someone ranked below the Top 100 or 150. So, yes, I'd criticize Singh for leaving the team, but not for pursuing a pro career - at least for a while.

Wahoo 05-07-2013 04:11 PM

The team "unity" quote throws Singh right under the bus. Don't have to do much reading between the lines there.

As far as antics go, both UGa and Duke have a long way to go to catch up with the Buckeyes.

mikej 05-07-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 7393565)
Duke started the "break on X court" or "set on X court" in the early 2000s. True story.

haha, funny if true, like all "which college started this cheer?" or "which college did this urban legend start at?"...ummm, i'm a little skeptical of anyone who thinks they have an origin pinned down for sure - but maybe

mikej 05-07-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wahoo (Post 7393582)
The team "unity" quote throws Singh right under the bus. Don't have to do much reading between the lines there.

As far as antics go, both UGa and Duke have a long way to go to catch up with the Buckeyes.

true, i would pop a bottle if Ty Tucker left the sport also

any good teams have some big on court egos - but at least most coaches are grown up enough to not lead the charge and sanction that type of behavior - certainly Diaz is a good coach and ambassador for college tennis even if he's a little bit of a shady recruiter with nearly an annual poaching season license in the state of Texas and elsewhere

Clemson_tennis 05-07-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 7393584)
haha, funny if true, like all "which college started this cheer?" or "which college did this urban legend start at?"...ummm, i'm a little skeptical of anyone who thinks they have an origin pinned down for sure - but maybe

I have heard that from some former Clemson players who played then back before UVA when Clemson and Duke used to battle for the ACC. But Duke could have taken it from someone else.

this was KU's facebook post last wednesday.
2 down, 8 to go. talking about exams.

mikej 05-07-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemson_tennis (Post 7393593)
I have heard that from some former Clemson players who played then back before UVA when Clemson and Duke used to battle for the ACC. But Duke could have taken it from someone else.

this was KU's facebook post last wednesday.
2 down, 8 to go. talking about exams.

can you do what he did btw with no possible consequences?

take athletic scholarship money, complete your studies, then abandon the team during the season???

can diaz and UGA go after him financially???

Vicious Vik 05-07-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 7393595)
can you do what he did btw with no possible consequences?

take athletic scholarship money, complete your studies, then abandon the team during the season???

can diaz and UGA go after him financially???

Karrunday should go after them!

Dawgie Dawg 05-07-2013 04:31 PM

I can't believe the awful rumors people will post online as "news". Singh will be playing Friday vs Binghampton. Jealous of UGA these people are.

Wahoo 05-07-2013 04:32 PM

It's on the official Georgia tennis site now. You so sure they're rumors?