Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Head Graphene Speed Pro : Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463156)

SmoothOperator 05-10-2013 05:19 AM

Head Graphene Speed Pro : Strings
 
Looking for recommendations for this dense (18x20) pattern racquet. I currently have one set up with Technifiber X-1 Biphase @ 50 lbs. Next time I would probably string at a little higher, like 52. Has anyone found a good combination? I'm open to Poly, Syn Gut, Multi full beds or hybrids. I'm a high 3.5 or low 4.0. I hit fairly hard and flat off both wings and I'm always looking for an opportunity to come to the net to finish the point.

Chotobaka 05-10-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothOperator (Post 7400337)
Looking for recommendations for this dense (18x20) pattern racquet. I currently have one set up with Technifiber X-1 Biphase @ 50 lbs. Next time I would probably string at a little higher, like 52. Has anyone found a good combination? I'm open to Poly, Syn Gut, Multi full beds or hybrids. I'm a high 3.5 or low 4.0. I hit fairly hard and flat off both wings and I'm always looking for an opportunity to come to the net to finish the point.

I recently strung up two of these (18x20) with Head FXP Tour at the upper end of the tension range. The client loves the set-up. I hit with one of them and found it to be extremely comfortable and well balanced in the control/power department.

As an aside, it also played much better for me than his previous Speedflex 18x20 315's with the identical string set-up. Going by memory, since I did not have them side by side, the new racquet seems even a little more dense in the middle of the string bed than the 315 (despite the same 18x20 pattern and 100 square inch size), yet is somehow noticeably more forgiving on less than perfect hits. Really impressive racquet.

Centerforward71 05-11-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmoothOperator (Post 7400337)
Looking for recommendations for this dense (18x20) pattern racquet. I currently have one set up with Technifiber X-1 Biphase @ 50 lbs. Next time I would probably string at a little higher, like 52. Has anyone found a good combination? I'm open to Poly, Syn Gut, Multi full beds or hybrids. I'm a high 3.5 or low 4.0. I hit fairly hard and flat off both wings and I'm always looking for an opportunity to come to the net to finish the point.

My level is a bit different than yours but ill give you my experience so far.

1. Go lower by 5-7lbs than you usually do. The lighter tension wakes up the spin potential of the frame due to the denser pattern. That's been my finding over about 30 setups so far of all types

2. If you like gut/poly your really gonna like it on this frame. Wowwww

3. Haven't tried other hybrids other than gut/poly

Some setups:

Tier-one tour status at 51, good spin but a bit too much power for me but I could play with it.

Tier-one durafluxx at 52, excellent for me all around, low power but not dead, awesome pocketing, great spin. My current go to setup

VS team/signum PPP. 60/57. I went too high took a couple of sessions to get to where I wanted.

Genesis twisted razor 51, awesome setup all around but I prefer a bit less power

If I can ask why did you chose this racquet and string pattern ?? I don't mean this condescending and with allmdue respect but if you are a 3.5 - 4.0 then If your strokes resemble that level you may be making things harder on yourself with this dense pattern and swing weight ?

atai 05-11-2013 07:39 PM

I just got my Graphene Speed Pro and had it initially strung wuth a full bed of Tonic+ natural gut at 58 pounds. That was my setup for the IG Speed 315 I was using before. I've found that the Graphene Speed Pro really requires lower tensions because of the denser pattern. I love the feel of the gut but 58 is too high. I will try 55 next time. I have to use natural gut because of tennis elbow. No probs with the stiffer GSP.

parasailing 05-12-2013 09:31 PM

You guys need to go lower on tension with this racquet, the string pattern is just way too dense to string at such high tensions.

I currently have mine strung at 52lbs gut mains and 48lbs Ltec 4S cross and that felt like my old PSTGT strung at 57lbs gut mains and 52lbs poly cross.

I am thinking about lowering it to 50lbs gut mains and 46lbs poly cross to find that sweetspot.

Rob1 05-12-2013 09:40 PM

Parasailing and Chobakta have correct findings on this racquet.
Because it a dense string pattern then you have to go a low tension.
Something it the range of 51-55 depending on the string.
Please do not use a full bed of poly as this racquet doesn't play well with
that.

I think the FXP Tour blend as the person recommended is a sure thing.
They string the demos with this string.
If you like to hit flat and with power, the best is ALU Power on the
mains and Gut on the crosses then.

This racquet is for advance players of 4.5 and above.
It takes time getting use to, but it is fantastic.

parasailing 05-12-2013 11:00 PM

This is definitely an awesome racquet and serving with it is so effortless. It does all the work, you just have to be able to wield it.

Oz_Rocket 05-13-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1 (Post 7407550)
Please do not use a full bed of poly as this racquet doesn't play well with
that.

Interesting comment. I've used a full bed of Sonic Pro 17 and now Sonic Pro Edge in mine and it has been great. Tried 50-52lbs but have settled on 54 as any lower and it has too much power for my style of play.

Haven't tried a hybrid set up so can't comment but I just love the way it plays now so am not really looking to change anything. But I've got some Head PPS I use in my son's racquet so I might give that a try in the crosses.

Centerforward71 05-13-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1 (Post 7407550)
Parasailing and Chobakta have correct findings on this racquet.
Because it a dense string pattern then you have to go a low tension.
Something it the range of 51-55 depending on the string.
Please do not use a full bed of poly as this racquet doesn't play well with
that.

I think the FXP Tour blend as the person recommended is a sure thing.
They string the demos with this string.
If you like to hit flat and with power, the best is ALU Power on the
mains and Gut on the crosses then.

This racquet is for advance players of 4.5 and above.
It takes time getting use to, but it is fantastic.

I agree with your statements but to say that do not do FULL POLY EVER is a bit of a reach, there are very goof performing full poly jobs for this stick.

JW10S 05-13-2013 06:58 PM

Love this racquet. I string mine with HEAD's new Sonic Pro Edge (which RSI recently rated #3 of all the strings they tested, not just polys) at 21.8kgs. Power, control, touch, spin--it's all there.

heartattack 07-13-2014 09:09 PM

tension advice plz?
 
for gut/poly combo on this stick? I'm going to use Klip uncoated main and silverstring cross!

parasailing 07-16-2014 11:08 PM

I had it recently strung with Head Hawk 17 at around 48lbs and love how it plays. It has a good amount of power, control, and I didn't find it harsh on the arm.

Kemosabe 09-07-2014 01:32 PM

Any experience with Tonic? Suggestions for cross strings?

gkamieneski 09-07-2014 04:13 PM

For 18x20 dense stringbeds, I have found Head FXP tour to work well as a cross to almost any 17g poly, such as Big Hitter Blue Rough or Solinco Tour Bite.

mrmo1115 09-07-2014 06:03 PM

I've been using gut/poly the past 7-8 months but I am trying to test poly/gut again. I went from Hurricane Tour/Gut to Gut/Lux to Gut/Sonic Pro Edge.

It's really coming down to the Gut/Sonic Pro and Sonic Pro/Gut.

Kemosabe 09-07-2014 06:17 PM

gut recommendations? tension?

heartattack 09-07-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 8572318)
I had it recently strung with Head Hawk 17 at around 48lbs and love how it plays. It has a good amount of power, control, and I didn't find it harsh on the arm.

Listen to this guy! thanks `parasailing. after a month and a half of playing that head hawk still good to play. BTW I'm a 5.0 player & plays 3times a week with some tournament weekends.

Kemosabe 09-08-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 8716756)
I've been using gut/poly the past 7-8 months but I am trying to test poly/gut again. I went from Hurricane Tour/Gut to Gut/Lux to Gut/Sonic Pro Edge.

It's really coming down to the Gut/Sonic Pro and Sonic Pro/Gut.

And with the Sonic Pro Edge being "shaped" it has not affected durability? If I'm going to be spending the bucks on stringing my frames with NG, I don't want to be compromising durability with a bad cross that will saw through. Seemingly NG on this frame should be providing a good amount of sping already if you have advanced strokes, right?

Is Wilson NG really that much better than say Tonic or Pacific?

Imago 09-08-2014 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmo1115 (Post 8716756)
It's really coming down to the Gut/Sonic Pro and Sonic Pro/Gut.

+1 Sonic Pro is good even alone @ sub-50

EasternRocks 09-08-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kemosabe (Post 8718792)
And with the Sonic Pro Edge being "shaped" it has not affected durability? If I'm going to be spending the bucks on stringing my frames with NG, I don't want to be compromising durability with a bad cross that will saw through. Seemingly NG on this frame should be providing a good amount of sping already if you have advanced strokes, right?

Is Wilson NG really that much better than say Tonic or Pacific?

I can't tell you yet for 100% certainty if the SPE will last long, but all the reviews say that the playability lasts a very long time, longer than a lot of polys out there like Lux.

I am about to jump back onto the poly main/gut cross hybrid. Not a popular choice on the boards here, but to each their own. I feel as if the gut mains poly crosses are just not giving me the ability to swing out on every ball and have consistent results.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse