Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Switching to a control-oriented racquet (Yonex). (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463248)

Antoine 05-11-2013 02:48 AM

Switching to a control-oriented racquet (Yonex).

I currently play with a head ig instinct and I'm thinking about making the switch to a control-oriented frame, and I've already narrowed it down to the Yonex Vcore Tour 97 310gr. I like the spec, and it would be too much of a jump from my current frame in weight, sw, and the balance is just a little different (going the way that I like, aka more headlight).

I've read and watched all the reviews that I could find. Nearly all of them say that this is a really low powered frame. But yet, when I look at the power table, the Yonex is higher that the instinct at every point but one.

I'm looking into a low powered frame to get me to really work on my strokes. They are fine when I take lessons, even if we speed things up a bit, but in a match, they deteriorate and I have trouble putting any pace on the ball, relying only on the frame to do the work for me.

Do you think the switch is actually a good idea, or should I look for an other frame, more in the middle in terms of power (Maybe a vcore xi 98 ? )

Bartelby 05-11-2013 03:14 AM

I can't see that the xi would be all that different from an instinct, so go with the tour.

Gasolina 05-11-2013 04:28 AM

A really really really low powered frame was the rqis 1 tour. So low powered, i sold two of mine and switched to the 95d.

I was in the same boat as you, can create heavy balls in hitting or when well prepared, but when chasing down balls my strokes fall short. I thought, why am i punishing myself with this control stick?

esgee48 05-11-2013 06:06 AM

Low powered frame = Radical MP in any rendition. 2 cents.

What's the issue with restringing the Instinct tighter or with a deader string? Seems to be a cheaper trial before changing racquet.

Lukhas 05-11-2013 06:10 AM

I did the switch. it's nice to tame the power of the strokes. But at some point, you're tired, it's sunny, and you have to generate all the power by yourself. At this point, even with a powerful string like most multis or gut, it isn't funny anymore. I'd suggest to keep a little power in the racquet or strings and a bit of spin at least to make the ball dip into the court more.

prjacobs 05-11-2013 11:43 AM

It's been a while since I demoed a Yonex, but I absolutely loved the accuracy I had. The last one I played with was an RD-7, twenty years ago :) . Demo a few if you can, and find the power/control level that works for you. They're amazing frames!

Ess 05-11-2013 01:23 PM

The VCORE Tour 97 is low powered, and the finest racquet I have ever used. I cannot think of a single weakness, other than not being able to blame my racquet for my perpetual poor performance. If you can demo, great, if not, buying it outright will not be a mistake.

McLovin 05-11-2013 01:29 PM

I just switched to the VCORE Tour 310g (leaded up to 320g) from the Pacific X Force Pros. I can say it is slightly more powerful than the X Force Pro (which is known as a low-powered racquet), but definitely in the low-power category.

I've been messing around w/ lead & balance the last week or so, and believe I've found the right combination & placement to get it where I want it. But that was a selling point for me: A racquet I could customize to 320g, 320mm (8.5 pts HL).

At 310g, it played solid, but I like a little more heft to my frames. First I put all the lead in the throat, but that made it too headlight, and I was getting too 'whippy' with my forehand. Now that I've got it balanced nicely, I'm getting good momentum through the forehand, but still able to generate enough racquet head speed on the serve.

I plan starting a new thread on my process & lead placement when I do my 3rd frame (the other two are already finished).

syke 05-11-2013 01:31 PM

I don't find them terribly low powered. Sure, if you compare them to tweeners, there is considerable loss of power and pop.

String choices and low tension can help offset the lack of power.

FYI, with the VC97, balls were going long for me in comparison to my XForce.

syke 05-11-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 7404605)
I just switched to the VCORE Tour 310g (leaded up to 320g) from the Pacific X Force Pros. I can say it is slightly more powerful than the X Force Pro (which is known as a low-powered racquet), but definitely in the low-power category.

Same observations here, my XForce (modified for more swing weight) was noticeably lower in the power department.

nickarnold2000 05-11-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 7403229)
I currently play with a head ig instinct and I'm thinking about making the switch to a control-oriented frame, and I've already narrowed it down to the Yonex Vcore Tour 97 310gr. I like the spec, and it would be too much of a jump from my current frame in weight, sw, and the balance is just a little different (going the way that I like, aka more headlight).

I've read and watched all the reviews that I could find. Nearly all of them say that this is a really low powered frame. But yet, when I look at the power table, the Yonex is higher that the instinct at every point but one.

I'm looking into a low powered frame to get me to really work on my strokes. They are fine when I take lessons, even if we speed things up a bit, but in a match, they deteriorate and I have trouble putting any pace on the ball, relying only on the frame to do the work for me.

Do you think the switch is actually a good idea, or should I look for an other frame, more in the middle in terms of power (Maybe a vcore xi 98 ? )

I would concentrate on my footwork(ie. get faster) and use those rubber resistence bands to get stronger if I were you. You very well may be able to stay with your current frame.
For me, if I'm moving well and able to set up earlier then I can move into the ball and take a big cut at the it. If not moving well, it's going to be a bad day! :)

Bartelby 05-11-2013 09:23 PM

So does the tour 310 have the low power of an mp of the rds or rdx line?

rosewall4ever 05-11-2013 10:59 PM

What does a controlled oriented frame mean? I thought frames related to power and twisting, and i thought stings and its density related to control..yeah its not exclusive but i would have thought a better way would be with the strings...

Antoine 05-12-2013 02:09 AM

I don't have any way to try it, as TW doesn't ship test racquet to my country, and all the shops around either either don't carry yonex or don't allow test (Yes, those exist.)

I guess I'll just order it, as it seems to be an awesome racquet. Everybody that played with it says that the grip size run large.

I like the 3/8 on my instinct, how does the Yonex would compare ?

eidolonshinobi 05-12-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 7405493)
I don't have any way to try it, as TW doesn't ship test racquet to my country, and all the shops around either either don't carry yonex or don't allow test (Yes, those exist.)

I guess I'll just order it, as it seems to be an awesome racquet. Everybody that played with it says that the grip size run large.

The grip is bigger. I usually use 4 3/8 myself and had to go down to 4 1/4 for my 97 Tours.

If you want a 3/8 grip, get the Babolat skin feel to make it a true 4 3/8. Otherwise like I said, get a size down.

McLovin 05-12-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 7405493)
Everybody that played with it says that the grip size run large.

I've used 4 1/2 for pretty much the last 20 years, and that includes my 3 year stint w/ the Yonex RD Power 10 Long. When I demoed the VCORE Tour, I had the 4 1/2, and the grip felt slightly large to me. After reading what others had to say, I went w/ a 4 3/8, and it feels fine.

I'd say the 4 3/8 is more like a 4 7/16, and the 4 1/2 was probably a 4 9/16. Effectively, the stock Yonex grip size on the VCORE is the equivalent of a Babolat/Wilson/Pacific with an overwrap.

Antoine 05-12-2013 03:48 AM

I guess the best way to get a feel beforehand with the instinct would be to play with two overwrap, and see how it feels. I'll do that tomorrow !

eidolonshinobi 05-12-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 7405573)
I guess the best way to get a feel beforehand with the instinct would be to play with two overwrap, and see how it feels. I'll do that tomorrow !

That could work.

Antoine 05-14-2013 08:44 AM

Are you guys comparing the grip size of the 330, or the 310 ? I did some more research before I order it, and I found this post :

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=2738

Seems like the SL and UL Yonex have different grip size. On a french forum, somebody was saying that his 3/8 grip was small on his 310.

Might it be possible that the 310 runs small/normal and the 330 runs large ?

corners 05-14-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antoine (Post 7410760)
Are you guys comparing the grip size of the 330, or the 310 ? I did some more research before I order it, and I found this post :

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=2738

Seems like the SL and UL Yonex have different grip size. On a french forum, somebody was saying that his 3/8 grip was small on his 310.

Might it be possible that the 310 runs small/normal and the 330 runs large ?

I've got a 4 1/4" Vcore Tour 97 310g version and it feels like 4 3/8".