Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Some Tips or Comments- Be Nice (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463270)

canadad 05-11-2013 09:23 AM

Some Tips or Comments- Be Nice

Please be kind, I don't claim to be great or even good. I am not posting this to get mocked and I must admit I am slightly nervous about doing this. My goal is to get better and don't have to time to get coaching. I can see that I am sloppy and lazy at times.
That said, here is some footage of me hitting complete with slow motion and a string of errors. Any tips on how I can get more consistent?
http://youtu.be/_ToH7bDffl8

canuckfan 05-11-2013 09:38 AM

You seem in pretty good shape. You are good! Not an allstar but some nice strokes and good timing. You have some pretty good pace and a natural ability to take the ball early. Maybe some of your strokes are a little "slappy", but not necessarily in a bad way. I would like to see if you have a consistent, higher rally ball with heavier spin. Maybe you do and it just wasn't being used in that clip. If you have (or develop) that heavier safe rally ball you can mix it in with your other shots and give your game more depth/variety; you will become a lot more difficult to play against.

I'd like to see you take that one handed backhand deep crosscourt. I think, like many onehanders, you hit down the line or up the middle because it is a bit easier. If you can develop a consistent deep crosscourt backhand with good angle and spin that will be a major weapon for you. Plus, it will make your down the line backhand even more lethal.

Good stuff, it takes guts to post a vid.

tkoziol 05-11-2013 09:58 AM

Strokes look great! I would try and develop a bit more spin. Topspin is a great way to be more consistent. One thing that might help is watching some replays of Wawrinka at Madrid on ESPN3.com. Its live right now Wawrinka and Berdych. Wawrinka certainly flattens out his one hander, but on clay he does seem to spin it up more.

I know watching a pro do it on TV and you doing it yourself on the courts are two totally different things. But it definitely couldn't hurt.

As for the forehand, sometimes it looks a bit stiff. I would try to loosen it up (especially the wrist).

Andyroo10567 05-11-2013 10:06 AM

Forehand ,
Try keeping the weight towards the ball. <- meaning also to put your left foot on the floor during contact and rotating the back foot ( right foot ). This should put more depth into your shot with topspin. Otherwise, your strokes are looking very good.

Backhand,
Preventing the left foot from kicking up would give you a little bit more balance during your shots. To prevent it, just sort of rotate your left foot as your hitting while keeping your toes on the court. Again, strokes are looking good.

These are all minor things im mentioning. Nothing to be worrying about too much. Good form.

psv255 05-11-2013 10:07 AM

Are you kidding?! That's some very nice, fluid hitting. As canuckfan noted, you have a knack for hitting right off the bounce, and this is hard to do consistently. It looks like you're on top of the baseline, so moving back and giving yourself more time is an option.

Never bend at the waist for a low ball, you lose your balance! Bend the knees instead.

To make your FH more effective, takeback could use some tweaking (more "palm-down", neutral wrist). Solid stroke nonetheless.

arche3 05-11-2013 10:16 AM

Lmao.... stop already. You know your a very good player. Seriously. :D

rkelley 05-11-2013 10:28 AM

Your strokes look great - fantastic really. You're set-up well, are split stepping, and hit through the ball nicely. You don't let depth from your opponent push you back, especially laudable off your 1hbh side - you hang in and take it on the rise.

Your fh could have more topspin, that's true, but there's nothing wrong with what you have. Your fh has a WTA look to it in the way the racquet goes back behind your body before you start your forward swing - and this is just an observation, not a criticism. You're not getting quite as much upward component to your swing as you could if you adjusted your swing to keep the racquet from going back behind your body, set-up with the racquet pointing to side fence, and then drove the butt of the racquet at the ball and pulled up and across. But seriously, your swing looks nice just as it is. You're taking a nice cut at it.

Your feet seemed to get a bit lazier in the latter half of the video. Don't do that. As someone else mentioned, are you going DTL too much? There's a big part of consistency that's about choosing smart targets, which at a very basic level means hitting cc with most of your shots.

Again, nice strokes.

thebluereverend 05-11-2013 10:47 AM

Well I won't pretend to be at any sort of a level where I could give advice but I have to say your strokes look really nice to me. I love the way you take the ball on the rise and your swing looks nice and fluid.

Lukhas 05-11-2013 10:58 AM

Maybe a true windshield wiper finish without grabbing the racquet at the end? You kinda have the "over the shoulder follow-through". I'd like to be able to hit like this everyday though... :lol: Very clean strokes, good on the rise hitting on both wings... What else? :)

Relinquis 05-11-2013 01:11 PM

nice strokes. what problems do you face during matches/competitive point play?

sureshs 05-11-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadad (Post 7403945)
Please be kind, I don't claim to be great or even good. I am not posting this to get mocked and I must admit I am slightly nervous about doing this. My goal is to get better and don't have to time to get coaching. I can see that I am sloppy and lazy at times.
That said, here is some footage of me hitting complete with slow motion and a string of errors. Any tips on how I can get more consistent?
http://youtu.be/_ToH7bDffl8

Is this some troll thread? You are hitting like a pro.

canadad 05-11-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7404556)

Thanks(?) and no, this is no troll thread. I have not seen myself on video for 20 years and taped myself last night. I sometimes watch people post their videos and I am impressed, but read other people writing disparaging and at time rude things. I don't think anyone likes reading insulting things about themselves. So thanks for the compliment, but I assure you this is no troll thread.

In match play I battle with losing rhythm and thus losing consistency. Consistency is my biggest battle. I typically start strong, but I lose belief and fall apart.

I really want to thank people for their comments. I have been writing them down on cheat sheets for the next time I go out. It is really nice having a set of knowledgeable and fresh eyes take a look.

WildVolley 05-11-2013 01:28 PM

I know it isn't very helpful, but you need to get a tripod for that camera.

arche3 05-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7404556)

looks like tennisballa from the back with a cap. lol. guy is ripping the ball. he did miss some easy balls but still lmao..

sureshs 05-11-2013 01:38 PM

^^^ I am not that familiar with tennis balla's back

syke 05-11-2013 01:45 PM

Your good enough...

rkelley 05-11-2013 02:15 PM

I thought he looked like Balla too.

user92626 05-11-2013 02:23 PM

I'm gonna just say it..you hit like a woman. :)

Your FH is like WTA women's. Past the line backswing, mostly neutral stance and catching the racket at the end a la Ivonavic. Nothing wrong with that though, cuz WTA is still a pretty high standard.

canadad 05-11-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7404694)
I'm gonna just say it..you hit like a woman. :)

Your FH is like WTA women's. Past the line backswing, mostly neutral stance and catching the racket at the end a la Ivonavic. Nothing wrong with that though, cuz WTA is still a pretty high standard.

Ouch, not that there is anything wrong with that, but I think I will be working to change that. Honestly, I had never heard of that term until today. However, a manly WTA forehand as it were. My coach in juniors was a woman if that explains anything, but that was 20 years ago.

So refer to what rkelly had said? "...set-up with the racquet pointing to side fence, and then drove the butt of the racquet at the ball and pulled up and across."

rufus_smith 05-11-2013 02:43 PM

The guy is feeding you the same type of ball (speed , bounce , spin, spots) every time . In matches you get a variety and you won't be ready and you will be inconsistent for sure.