Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How Much Warp is Bad? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463331)

max 05-12-2013 04:34 AM

How Much Warp is Bad?

I'm looking at a woodie I've got, warped about 3 mm or 4 mm from one side to the other.

Any notion of the extent to which this might signally affect performance?

joe sch 05-12-2013 04:56 AM

Depends on the user ...

If selling a racket, any warpage needs to be disclosed.

Some buyers may be willing to accept some warpage depending on the racket. For example, its not a big deal on a 1880 flat top that will hang on the wall.

For playing, it depends on what your willing to accept. I can usually notice a small amount of warp depending on which side Im hitting the racket and would not want to play a match with a warped racket, if I had another that was straight and the same quality.

tennytive 05-12-2013 05:20 AM

I have an old Arthur Ashe Competition that is slightly bowed in the head. Playable, but annoying.

Was wondering if I strung only the mains and left in in the stringer if that would do anything to straighten it back up again? It's not wood, fiberglass and aluminum composite.

I tried weight over the warp, but it didn't take.

gavna 05-12-2013 06:07 AM

Honestly any warp is bad......if messing around or just collecting
no real biggie. But playing with a warped frame is a biggie - the curve and spooning will effect play no matter how slight.

Tamiya 05-12-2013 06:24 AM

woodies should be stored in a clamp, that's what they made clamps for

coachrick 05-12-2013 06:46 AM

Heck, back in the '70s, we re-strung rackets that wouldn't lie flat on the machine! More of a comfort/budget issue for some folks. ;)

The chances of 'un-warping' a wood or sandwich-style frame to any real effect is virtually nil. Metal can be re-shaped; but a wood or laminated frame isn't likely to hold the new orientation for any length of time.

As a junior with little money, I played with warped rackets from time to time, with a decided preference toward a forward warp on the backhand and a 'trailing' warp on the forehand. :) Could go either way with the dreaded 'twist' warp!

gavna 05-12-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7405913)
Heck, back in the '70s, we re-strung rackets that wouldn't lie flat on the machine! More of a comfort/budget issue for some folks. ;)

The chances of 'un-warping' a wood or sandwich-style frame to any real effect is virtually nil. Metal can be re-shaped; but a wood or laminated frame isn't likely to hold the new orientation for any length of time.

As a junior with little money, I played with warped rackets from time to time, with a decided preference toward a forward warp on the backhand and a 'trailing' warp on the forehand. :) Could go either way with the dreaded 'twist' warp!

Soooo glad we never had to do that...........once we saw a warp - boom in the trash bucket - had a collection after 10 yrs that was like 40 frames spooning.

As for stringing - at the shop I worked at in New York in HS we would absolutely not restring warped frames. In college and after at the two shops we would only restring after we had an ok from the customer.

I saw more than once restrung warped frames come off the machine and "pop" -

Sanglier 05-12-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coachrick (Post 7405913)
As a junior with little money, I played with warped rackets from time to time, with a decided preference toward a forward warp on the backhand and a 'trailing' warp on the forehand. :)

Interesting. Isn't that essentially what the handle orientation on the Battistone racquet allows you to do, only in a predictable and much more exaggerated manner? From all the videos I've seen, the only instance where the brothers don't use a 'trailing warp' grip on the forehand side is when serving, or perhaps when chasing down a ball that had gone past them, otherwise their 'preference' for their forehand/ backhand grip is exactly the same as yours. Maybe you should have patented your 'preference' at the time and had someone make an elegantly hooked frame and called it "WarpSpeed" or somesuch, then you might have become a junior with lots of money, and we would be here today discussing how WarpSpeed had changed the game of tennis, and how unfair it was for some guy named Coachrick to corner the crooked racket market...

As for warpages that result in a lopsided hoop, one can always tell oneself that the frame is more 'ergonomic' that way :)

yonexRx32 05-12-2013 10:11 AM

An experiment to try

If the racket has no significant value (collectible, sentimental, otherwise)... cut strings, place racket in a metal clamp..then place the head over a humidifier (hot vapor) or a pan with hot water and leave it there for a couple of hours.. Tighten up the clamp and repeat. Remove and let dry for a couple of days, with the clamp on.
Remove clamp and check that the racket is straight. Give it a coating of a polyurethane paint.

Disclaimer:
Don't blame me if it looks worse in the end.

gavna 05-12-2013 11:23 AM

Just to put that idea to bed........you CANNOT unwarp a frame.

I played from 1968 - 1983 with wood frames ( as most all did then) and worked in 3 shops and for two major racquet manufacturers - thousands have tried and some claimed to have "fixed" a warped frame.....NEVER EVER saw one that did.

That's the reason the press was a std item on every wood frame made -

joe sch 05-12-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7406621)

I played from 1968 - 1983 with wood frames ( as most all did then) and worked in 3 shops and for two major racquet manufacturers - thousands have tried and some claimed to have "fixed" a warped frame.....NEVER EVER saw one that did.

Very true and many head presses actually warp rackets since they are not straight and/or apply uneven amounts of pressure on the different sides or top/bottom. Metal presses are more likely to stay true but I would not use any of them on a straight woody

coachrick 05-12-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanglier (Post 7406395)
Interesting. Isn't that essentially what the handle orientation on the Battistone racquet allows you to do, only in a predictable and much more exaggerated manner? From all the videos I've seen, the only instance where the brothers don't use a 'trailing warp' grip on the forehand side is when serving, or perhaps when chasing down a ball that had gone past them, otherwise their 'preference' for their forehand/ backhand grip is exactly the same as yours. Maybe you should have patented your 'preference' at the time and had someone make an elegantly hooked frame and called it "WarpSpeed" or somesuch, then you might have become a junior with lots of money, and we would be here today discussing how WarpSpeed had changed the game of tennis, and how unfair it was for some guy named Coachrick to corner the crooked racket market...

As for warpages that result in a lopsided hoop, one can always tell oneself that the frame is more 'ergonomic' that way )

;) :) ;)

Shoulda-WOODa-coulda...I missed my calling! With my warped sense of humor, I would(wood) have been a natural!

BTW, the forward warp was for cross-court backhands and the trailing warp was for Chrissie Evert-style forehand approach shots ;) ...the inside-out slider!

Hannah19 05-13-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tamiya (Post 7405819)
woodies should be stored in a clamp, that's what they made clamps for

Woodies should be stored at room temperature and medium humidity. A press is then not needed. Storing a woodie in a press and expose it to different temps and humidities, the press will warp as much as the frame does.

Hannah19 05-13-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7406621)

Not entirely true...you can unwarp a frame but than the structural integrity will be compromised. I "unwarped" a Maxply McEnroe by putting the head up to the shoulders in hot water. Left it for about an hour and then straightened it in a vice between a couple of boards. Worked like a charm but restringing it will almost certainly destroy the frame.

retrowagen 05-13-2013 01:54 PM

From what I recall in the original Star Trek series, Warp 8 was considered a dangerous maximum. :lol:

gavna 05-13-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 7409194)
From what I recall in the original Star Trek series, Warp 8 was considered a dangerous maximum. :lol:

Thought it was closer to warp 10 before the ship started shaking and Kirk
looked worried?:):)

Sanglier 05-13-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7409264)

That's because the Lacoste style dampener on Enterprise's butt was frequency-matched through warp 9 only :)

retrowagen 05-13-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sanglier (Post 7409321)
That's because the Lacoste style dampener on Enterprise's butt was frequency-matched through warp 9 only :)

I'm actually rather surprised we haven't seen Dilithium crystal technology in some of the more recent tennis gear (of questionable marketing gimmickry).

Speaking of questionable marketing gimmickry, I'd like to take credit for coining a new term today, noun, meaning "a 'technological advance' or specification that is supposedly new, but is actually is only marketing repackaging of prior technology, or a detail promising technologial advancement or improvement that does nothing new or better:" technilogy. :-?

joe sch 05-13-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrowagen (Post 7409710)
I'm actually rather surprised we haven't seen Dilithium crystal technology in some of the more recent tennis gear (of questionable marketing gimmickry).

Speaking of questionable marketing gimmickry, I'd like to take credit for coining a new term today, noun, meaning "a 'technological advance' or specification that is supposedly new, but is actually is only marketing repackaging of prior technology, or a detail promising technologial advancement or improvement that does nothing new or better:" technilogy. :-?

Like your coinage of "technilogy"
Does not take a techknow to recognize technull ;)

frinton 05-14-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gavna (Post 7409264)

If in doubt check with Mr. Sulu and for sure Scottie :)
sorry, I don't know anything about warped rackets that I could contribute :(