Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Most clay court wins (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463373)

robow7 05-12-2013 03:20 PM

Most clay court wins

After today, Nadal now has 55 career titles with 40 coming on clay, does anyone have more career titles on clay?

Arafel 05-12-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robow7 (Post 7406994)
After today, Nadal now has 55 career titles with 40 coming on clay, does anyone have more career titles on clay?

Chris Evert. From August 1973 to June 1981, she went 189-1 on clay. Her career record, from 1971-1989, on clay is 316-20, for a 94.05 percent winning percentage. She has 10 Slams on clay (seven French, three U.S. Opens). She would have even more if she hadn't skipped the French Open in 76,77, and 78 and to play World Team Tennis. Oh, btw, the one loss during that 8-year span was in a third set tiebreaker to Tracy Austin.

jaggy 05-12-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arafel (Post 7407036)
Chris Evert. From August 1973 to June 1981, she went 189-1 on clay. Her career record, from 1971-1989, on clay is 316-20, for a 94.05 percent winning percentage. She has 10 Slams on clay (seven French, three U.S. Opens). She would have even more if she hadn't skipped the French Open in 76,77, and 78 and to play World Team Tennis. Oh, btw, the one loss during that 8-year span was in a third set tiebreaker to Tracy Austin.

Very impressive but what % was on green US clay?

Arafel 05-12-2013 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 7407063)
Very impressive but what % was on green US clay?

Not very many actually. She usually only played 1-2 tournaments a year on Har Tru. The ones she one on that surface were Family Circle, Amelia Island, US Clay Court Championships (75, 79-80), and US Open (75-77). For instance, in addition to her seven French Opens (plus one other final, a loss in 84), Evert has five Italian Opens, plus the German Open (85), the Swiss Open (81, 82,), Houston, South Africa, and several others. Chris, also won the French Open doubles twice (74, 75).

Also, I've played on both Har Tru and red clay. They don't play as differently as some people on this board would have you believe.

Mustard 05-12-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Nadal is now level with Muster on 40 clay-court titles. Only Vilas has won more clay-court titles in the open era, with 46.

BTURNER 05-12-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arafel (Post 7407109)
Not very many actually. She usually only played 1-2 tournaments a year on Har Tru. The ones she one on that surface were Family Circle, Amelia Island, US Clay Court Championships (75, 79-80), and US Open (75-77). For instance, in addition to her seven French Opens (plus one other final, a loss in 84), Evert has five Italian Opens, plus the German Open (85), the Swiss Open (81, 82,), Houston, South Africa, and several others. Chris, also won the French Open doubles twice (74, 75).

Also, I've played on both Har Tru and red clay. They don't play as differently as some people on this board would have you believe.

Wow she won everything in sight on green clay. Virginia slims Masters, Sarasota, Tulsa, North Carolina, S&H Greenstamps, Miami, St. Columbus, St .Petersburg. She was crushing the US clay tour before she ever saw Rome or Paris. Excepting Nancy Richey, no one could touch her. It was only when she began to divide her time between Europe and the states that she began to moderate her lust for green clay trophys.

Later on in later eighties, as she grew to need respite breaks to avoid burnout, of course she'd reduce entries...some more, but honestly she was more dominant here in the states than in Europe. Green clay was closer, and virtually all of the tour south of the the Mason Dixon was littered with Har-Tru. It was the easy-to- reach fruit on the tree and totally without risk from a points standpoint. If you divided her clay trophies between red and Har- Tru it would be no contest.

robow7 05-12-2013 05:50 PM

Mustard, in general, how would you compare Muster's clay titles as in quality of tourneys vs. those of Vilas and Nadal ? I realize that this is especially difficult to compare the Vilas era and the current one but just curious as to your thoughts. Thanks

Mustard 05-12-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robow7 (Post 7407264)
Mustard, in general, how would you compare Muster's clay titles as in quality of tourneys vs. those of Vilas and Nadal ? I realize that this is especially difficult to compare the Vilas era and the current one but just curious as to your thoughts. Thanks

Nadal's clay titles are of superior status overall, considering just how many years that Nadal has dominated on clay at the biggest tournaments. Muster was dominant on clay in 1995 and 1996, whilst before 1995 he was a very good clay-courter who would win a lot of smaller clay-court tournaments and the occasional big one. Vilas was utterly dominant in the second half of 1977, where he played an insane amount in a short period. Borg was a superior clay-court player to Vilas career-wise, but Vilas played far more matches, hence a superior number of overall clay-court titles.

timnz 05-12-2013 06:26 PM

Tony Wilding

Quote:

Yes, Nadal has a way to go yet. Tony Wilding won 76 titles on clay (you didn't mention open era - so I assumed you meant in all of tennis history).

BobbyOne 05-13-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 7407311)
Yes, Nadal has a way to go yet. Tony Wilding won 76 titles on clay (you didn't mention open era - so I assumed you meant in all of tennis history).

timnz, Jaroslav Drobny has even more claycourt titles than Wilding (about 90).

timnz 05-13-2013 04:34 PM

Drobny

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyOne (Post 7408217)
timnz, Jaroslav Drobny has even more claycourt titles than Wilding (about 90).

Wow! Good to know. Is there a list of his titles anywhere? So Nadal is nearly halfway.

BobbyOne 05-14-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 7409530)
Wow! Good to know. Is there a list of his titles anywhere? So Nadal is nearly halfway.

timnz, Yes, Michel Sutter has listed up many players' titles in his book "Winners". It could be that Drobny has won about 100 clay titles: At some tournaments the surface is not clear.

TMF 05-14-2013 04:16 PM

Nadal 40 titles is a lot more impressive than any player who have won more. Mickey mouse titles is nowhere near as important as the slams and Master Series. Counting number of titles is misleading.

forzamilan90 05-14-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7411826)
Nadal 40 titles is a lot more impressive than any player who have won more. Mickey mouse titles is nowhere near as important as the slams and Master Series. Counting number of titles is misleading.

7 FOs, a crapload of Masters 1000 clay titles, ridiculous winning percentage on the surface, and then the overall feel that when he steps on the court you just understand he is "made" for this surface...clay God

Goosehead 05-14-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7411826)

but that isn't what the thread is about..its about how many titles on clay..

if you don't like the thread why come in and poast ??. :confused:

jrepac 05-14-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arafel (Post 7407036)

I doubt anyone will ever touch her accomplishments on clay...red clay, green clay, blue or orange!

TMF 05-14-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goosehead (Post 7412134)
but that isn't what the thread is about..its about how many titles on clay..

if you don't like the thread why come in and poast ??. :confused:

Hello Goosehead. I see your point, but we need more to add for discussion rather than just knowing who won how many clay titles. Remember, not all tournament creates equal, or have same value. If a player win 70 titles, it's nice to know what kind of titles he has, does he has any impressive streaks, record holders, level of domination.

Mustard 05-15-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMF (Post 7412350)
Hello Goosehead. I see your point, but we need more to add for discussion rather than just knowing who won how many clay titles. Remember, not all tournament creates equal, or have same value. If a player win 70 titles, it's nice to know what kind of titles he has, does he has any impressive streaks, record holders, level of domination.

Tony Wilding was very dominant on clay, to be fair. He didn't lose on the surface for over 4 years, and won 2 World Hard Court Championships on the Paris clay in 1913 and 1914. He was killed in the trenches of WW1 in 1915.

TMF 05-16-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard (Post 7414056)
Tony Wilding was very dominant on clay, to be fair. He didn't lose on the surface for over 4 years, and won 2 World Hard Court Championships on the Paris clay in 1913 and 1914. He was killed in the trenches of WW1 in 1915.

Yes, it's sad that he was killed during the war. But tragedy doesn't give him more credit than he actually obtained. No way he was as dominant as Nadal, and tennis was puny a century ago.

Pete M. 05-16-2013 10:58 AM

I read once an interview of Norman Brookes that confirms what my grandfather also told me once: from the Doherty’s time the game has develop a lot about technology, training, methodology, etc but not much from the point of view of strategy.
The things I listened and read about him are impressive and the fact that he was so much time undefeated speaks for itself. I believe Wilding’s achievements shouldn’t be underrated.