Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wear and tear on body using SW forehand (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463478)

looseleftie 05-13-2013 05:17 PM

Wear and tear on body using SW forehand

Hi have been hitting SW for a few years now , I am on older player, 43yr, pretty fit and quick but have noticed that since I changed from Eastern to SW my loading up knee is getting regularly sore some years ago. This effects not just my game, but day to day life..

Are there others out there, who may have found the SW forehand style forehand, and in particular the loading of the knees to be too much over time..

I think I'll have to go back to a Eastern, or modified with a swing plane of low to high.. Less dramas on the knees.

Love all your thoughts on the subject.
Cheers

LeeD 05-13-2013 05:26 PM

Instead of loading, try twisting your torso into the swing, to save your knees.
I use a very strong SW, racket closer to flat on the ground than up on edge in ready position. SW is fine, just moderate your backswing and hit flatter than you currently do.
I'm 64, have broken my legs 3 times, 2 needing multiple pins, wire, and plate. Broken my two collarbones twice each, separated both shoulders more than twice, and one bad dislocate that still haunts my rightie serve (lucky for me, I'm lefty). When it's cloudy and almost raining, I'll often switch to conti for every shot, to save the shoulders. That would be like one day out of 50 tennis days.

rkelley 05-13-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looseleftie (Post 7409637)
Hi have been hitting SW for a few years now , I am on older player, 43yr, pretty fit and quick but have noticed that since I changed from Eastern to SW my loading up knee is getting regularly sore some years ago. This effects not just my game, but day to day life..

Are there others out there, who may have found the SW forehand style forehand, and in particular the loading of the knees to be too much over time..

I think I'll have to go back to a Eastern, or modified with a swing plane of low to high.. Less dramas on the knees.

Cheers

50 here. Been hitting modern for about 2.5 years with an almost SW grip. No knee issues here from the fh on either leg (and yes, my back/outside leg takes way more loading). Running really hard and stopping and starting are harder.

Video yourself. How's your form? Are you bending your knees too much. Every shot doesn't have to be deep squat and then exploding off the ground.

10isfreak 05-13-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looseleftie (Post 7409637)

Cheers

Your grip has surprisingly little to do with your shot. All a more extreme grip does is closing your racket face a little more, which does make it easier to get top spin at contact (because a racket that leans forward makes contact off center on the ball). However, you can use a plethora of swings to hit with the exact same grip.

If you want an advice on how to manage this pain, think about rotation. Open up your stance if it's not already an open stance forehand or, at least , a semi-open stance forehand. Once you get that open stance, understand that bending your knee before swinging has the purpose of enabling you to use a leg extension (literally a push from your racket side leg) to make your hip rotation faster. With the great degree of rotation that these more contemporary stance allows, you can still get a decent shot without bending much at the knees.

5263 05-13-2013 07:01 PM

Right, you don't HAVE to bend at all with SW, but as others suggest, maybe
look at using less bend and consider your stance.

sundaypunch 05-13-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10isfreak (Post 7409812)
Your grip has surprisingly little to do with your shot. All a more extreme grip does is closing your racket face a little more, which does make it easier to get top spin at contact (because a racket that leans forward makes contact off center on the ball). However, you can use a plethora of swings to hit with the exact same grip.

If you want an advice on how to manage this pain, think about rotation. Open up your stance if it's not already an open stance forehand or, at least , a semi-open stance forehand. Once you get that open stance, understand that bending your knee before swinging has the purpose of enabling you to use a leg extension (literally a push from your racket side leg) to make your hip rotation faster. With the great degree of rotation that these more contemporary stance allows, you can still get a decent shot without bending much at the knees.

This advice is spot-on. It's not the grip. Opening up the stance will have a greater effect than changing the grip. Here's a good video that illustrates this-

I'm On Your Side Tennis w/ Dan Brown Modern Forehand Lesson

joesucks 05-14-2013 06:55 AM

I have had some issues, same age group although almost all of my injuries have been around the hip all the way up to my rib cage on the back on the hitting side.
I know i am doing something weird while hitting either jerking my body or trying to hit hard, it is worse on the days when the Oklahoma winds are blowing (makes me think i am not making enough adjustment steps).
Oh well I am just tired of being sore to the point of just giving up tennis and move on in my life.

TennisCJC 05-14-2013 07:22 AM

I have actually seen video saying modern technique is better for the knees as you use more open and semi-open stances where a classic forehand usually closes the front knee resulting in more knee twist on the lead leg.

I think you are referring to the back or "load" leg. I would think the answer is trying semi-open stances to reduce the twist angle.

My opinion is you do want a bit of knee bend and lift and rotation from the core so you cannot eliminate loading, lifting and rotation. Also, think lift as you rotate off the load leg. Lifthing reduces torque on the knee.

You might want to start a lower body strengthening program too. Google meniscus rehab exercises and you'll get the basics: front, rear, and both sides leg lifts, squats, heel raises and lots of streching. The theory is to strengthen the muscles groups above and below the knee and to keep the lower body flexible.

I am 56 and had L (front knee as I'm right handed) knee meniscus surgery last summer.

Also, mid 40s was the age when injuries started catching up with me. Don't over play and hit the gym.

looseleftie 05-14-2013 11:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts here...

Yep, the loading of this swing technique is my main problem even when trying a semi open stance... It has more to do with my dodgy knee that struggles with pushing off on it..

Noticed that I can have a more closed stance, and at times semi open for wide balls, that seems to be less stressful on the knee, using I guess a modified Eastern.. It is better after hitting for about an hour..

Pushing off, simply hurts, I probably need to get some medical advice..

It's hard when age begins to creep up with u Joesucks. Certainly the option of quitting tennis isn't an option.. Certainly can't continue with the loading up on knee.

Just wondering about this generation of 20+ yr old players, who seem to be playing a lot on hard courts, I wonder what their knees and hips may be like in another 20 yrs on these tough surfaces. The bending and loading up on their knees is pretty intense.

LeeD 05-15-2013 07:45 AM

Don't bend and load with your SW forehand.
Do whatever it takes to unload and unstress an injury.
An old school eForehand would load your knees just as much.
Tennis loads your knees.

looseleftie 05-16-2013 05:31 AM

Hey LeeD, agree avoid loading, so true.. However, the neutral stance and even semi open stance using an eastern doesn't seem to require the same intensity to the bend/loading up.. I recorded myself today, and noticed that my forehand is definately a modified eastern, and whilst using neutral/semi open stances there is some level of loading, it seems far less than the SW stance.. The thought behind the old school stance is gettin foreward momentum into the neutral stance, this avoids loading up the back leg, although semi open stance does take a little more loading...

Bottom line, LeeD, there seems no escape from loading which ever grip u go with in tennis, or stance, but certainly SW is the harshest of them..Correct me if I am mistaken here please.

LeeD 05-16-2013 02:05 PM

You can hit flat with a SW grip, not load, and hit really hard. Use straight takeback, make it short, squeeze the grip, and swing straight thru the ball.
Western uses the most energy.
Underspin conti the least.