Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Racquet Expiry Date? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463573)

jman 05-14-2013 05:29 PM

Racquet Expiry Date?
 
Just want to know how long most racquets last? Only asking, because recently my favourite racquet, has started to feel differently. Differently as in, there seems to be a lot of vibration after every ball I hit (this is with a vibration dampener), and it actually feels like I'm hitting with a broken string, which I'm not.

I actually thought it started to feel different after I had it re-strung at 22kgs (49lbs), so I put it in for my normal tension at 24kgs (53lbs), and it still doesn't feel like it used too. I even put 2 Pete Sampras dampeners to counter the vibration, but still no avail.

I purchased my racquet 4 years ago, brand new, and from my view, I have taken quite good care of it. As for rating, I would say I'm a 4.0 player. I play comp 3-4 times a week, division 1. So I hit a fair bit.

So what could be the problem? I've checked for cracks in the frame, which there isn't? The pro shop guy, said it could be the fibres internally which have deteriorated over time? But I've only had the racquet for 4 years? Is there any truth to this? Keen for your opinions =)

tata 05-14-2013 05:41 PM

It might be the fibres assuming no structural damage. Nothing lasts forever. Perhaps try using a different string to get the same feel as before?

lefty001 05-14-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 7411961)
Just want to know how long most racquets last? Only asking, because recently my favourite racquet, has started to feel differently. Differently as in, there seems to be a lot of vibration after every ball I hit (this is with a vibration dampener), and it actually feels like I'm hitting with a broken string, which I'm not.

I actually thought it started to feel different after I had it re-strung at 22kgs (49lbs), so I put it in for my normal tension at 24kgs (53lbs), and it still doesn't feel like it used too. I even put 2 Pete Sampras dampeners to counter the vibration, but still no avail.

I purchased my racquet 4 years ago, brand new, and from my view, I have taken quite good care of it. As for rating, I would say I'm a 4.0 player. I play comp 3-4 times a week, division 1. So I hit a fair bit.

So what could be the problem? I've checked for cracks in the frame, which there isn't? The pro shop guy, said it could be the fibres internally which have deteriorated over time? But I've only had the racquet for 4 years? Is there any truth to this? Keen for your opinions =)

4 years is a long time.
When I was a 4.0 player my rackets only lasted me 2 years. I played 4 times a week and restrung every other week. I didn't abuse them but because of all the usage and restringing, the fibers went bad. I think it's time for you to get a set of new sticks.

magnut 05-14-2013 05:54 PM

Heres a little secret for you. Racquets only last until the next version comes out with a new paint job. At which time the time released resin will begin to turn to dust. Every time you miss a shot useing an older racquet this is the reason. Its not you its the racquets fault. Go buy a new one.

roundiesee 05-14-2013 06:14 PM

I think there is some truth in what the OP says; I noticed the same thing when I payed with an old Prestige 600, not so much that the racket vibrated, but that it was difficult to control my shots. A friend of mine also has this same issue; he is still using his swirly-patterned PD for the past 10 years at least, and when he plays, his balls go all over the place ( and mind you, he is a very good player).
I think if one plays and strings regularly, rackets should be changed around every 3-4 years.

jman 05-14-2013 07:16 PM

hey thnx guys for the confirmation there. You've put my mind into ease, and I've already ordered two brand new sticks of the same model. Can't wait to start playing proper tennis again =)

rudester 05-14-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnut (Post 7412007)
Heres a little secret for you. Racquets only last until the next version comes out with a new paint job. At which time the time released resin will begin to turn to dust. Every time you miss a shot useing an older racquet this is the reason. Its not you its the racquets fault. Go buy a new one.

So true must have shiny new frame, lest this occurs......

roundiesee 05-14-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jman (Post 7412165)
hey thnx guys for the confirmation there. You've put my mind into ease, and I've already ordered two brand new sticks of the same model. Can't wait to start playing proper tennis again =)

Just curious, which ones did you order?

jman 05-15-2013 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundiesee (Post 7412386)
Just curious, which ones did you order?


Hey, it's a old wilson pro staff tour from back from 2003, my favourite stick to play with. Had to go to e bay to find it though.

sortof 05-15-2013 04:13 AM

Wasn´t there a rule of thumb that racquet characteristics change significantly (go downhill) after about 200 string jobs?

syke 05-15-2013 04:39 AM

Hasn't Delpo been playing his for years?
I am sure his racquets are getting more abuse than ours.

babolat king 05-15-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syke (Post 7412711)
Hasn't Delpo been playing his for years?
I am sure his racquets are getting more abuse than ours.

Good point! And his are getting restrung every practice, and every match. Also, he hits the ball way harder than all of us.

Carolina Racquet 05-15-2013 05:11 AM

Good luck with your new frames, but I think the notion of frames "expiring" is a bit of hogwash. The technology involved with braided graphite is designed to withstand considerable stress.

Of course, the racquet manufacturers won't promote this as they NEED new sales of their most recent model.

jonestim 05-15-2013 06:49 AM

I had this happen to me when I started tying off my knots differently. The poly tip was just touching the frame and would vibrate on each hit. Since it was the tip after the knot a dampener wouldn't do anything. Bending the tip away from the frame solved it.

Worth a check.

acura9927 05-15-2013 07:17 AM

I hoping to get 10-15 years out of mine, I think I got the new racquet thing out of my system unless I buy used and can resell for a few bucks less. Once a week player here.

jman 05-15-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonestim (Post 7413095)
I had this happen to me when I started tying off my knots differently. The poly tip was just touching the frame and would vibrate on each hit. Since it was the tip after the knot a dampener wouldn't do anything. Bending the tip away from the frame solved it.

Worth a check.

Interesting! Will check this too. thnx for that tip.

Sander001 05-15-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sortof (Post 7412680)
Wasn´t there a rule of thumb that racquet characteristics change significantly (go downhill) after about 200 string jobs?

I seem to recall that number is 30. I wish it was 200!


KFwinds 05-15-2013 08:54 PM

OP - did you try replacing the grommets on your old frames? It's more likely that those got worn out rather than your frame given the symptoms you described.

jman 05-15-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFwinds (Post 7415255)
OP - did you try replacing the grommets on your old frames? It's more likely that those got worn out rather than your frame given the symptoms you described.

I never thought of that. do you really think that would resolve the issues? is this more viable reason than the racquet fibers breaking? because initially I thought 4 years was still relatively new?

StringingIrvine 05-16-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFwinds (Post 7415255)
OP - did you try replacing the grommets on your old frames? It's more likely that those got worn out rather than your frame given the symptoms you described.

I second that thought. A teamate of mine kept complaining about one of her rackets how it sounded different than the rest. turns out one of her grommets were worn straight through and the string was actually sitting on the frame.

Its worth the 10 dollar check rather than buying a new racket


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse