Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Any KPS88 or K90 users have experience with the IG Prestige Pro? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463623)

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 07:58 AM

Any KPS88 or K90 users have experience with the IG Prestige Pro?

The KPS88 and K90 are my favorite frames but I would like a MP in the bag. The only one that really intrigues me in the IG Prestige Pro. I'd like to know any of your thoughts if you have experiences with the Prestige and Wilson mids as well as what I should expect..

Also, The Prestige Pro is actually a 95 not a 98 right?

Some background info:

-The only MP frame I ever loved was the Volkl Tour 10 VE MP
-I like open string patterns
-I have never used a Head frame
-I also like the PB10 Mid
-I'm a lefty

Fed Kennedy 05-15-2013 11:10 AM

HEy DG...the frame you seek is the Yonex core 95D.

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed Kennedy (Post 7413902)
HEy DG...the frame you seek is the Yonex core 95D.

Thanks Fed. I'll look for it and buy one if I come across it for a good price.

I have bought a couple frames from you on separate occasions which I all enjoyed. What are you using now?

heninfan99 05-15-2013 05:20 PM

The box beam is a unique feel. The Pure Storm LTD might work for you since it has a box beam-type feel. It's pretty flexy too.

movdqa 05-15-2013 05:34 PM

I haven't used the Prestige Pro but I have used the YT Prestige MP and the IG Prestige MP. I used the KPS88 before that for a few years and the K90 a year or two before that. The YT Prestige MP has more of the raw feel on the KPS88. The IG is more muted which means that it's a little better for my arm. I had quite a bit of lead on the YT and it reminded me a lot of the KPS88, only a little bigger.

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7414864)
I haven't used the Prestige Pro but I have used the YT Prestige MP and the IG Prestige MP. I used the KPS88 before that for a few years and the K90 a year or two before that. The YT Prestige MP has more of the raw feel on the KPS88. The IG is more muted which means that it's a little better for my arm. I had quite a bit of lead on the YT and it reminded me a lot of the KPS88, only a little bigger.

So right now you use the IG prestige MP with no lead. I saw it got very good reviews but I like my frames a little heavier so I wanted to go for the Pro. Do you see any downside for me? Do you mind the thicker beam width compared to your wilson frames? Also are you very happy with your head frames overall?

Fed Kennedy 05-15-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgpsx7 (Post 7414727)
Thanks Fed. I'll look for it and buy one if I come across it for a good price.

I have bought a couple frames from you on separate occasions which I all enjoyed. What are you using now?

Dont laugh I am using the Steam 105s...really good frame.

As a Wilson user I must tell you HEAD blows.

Shangri La 05-15-2013 10:29 PM

I had an IG Prestige Pro and it played quite well. But the thing that killed the deal was its feel. It had a metallic and tingy feel which I couldn't stand - I just couldn't feel the ball. OP you never mentioned feel as a requirement but the racquets you've played with all have great feel (haven't played with the Volkl Tour 10 VE). I'd recommend the Dunlop Bio 200G Max. I think a forum veteran PS 90 player had high praise for the racquet as well.

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fed Kennedy (Post 7415321)
Dont laugh I am using the Steam 105s...really good frame.

As a Wilson user I must tell you HEAD blows.

Whatever brings out your best tennis. Do you have any KPS88's left? I'll buy them :-)

Backhanded Compliment 05-15-2013 10:59 PM

The prestige MP's and Pros offer a lot more feedback and are super consistent... the K90 and 88 feel more muted to me and the thinner beam knifes through the air. I feel like prestiges are consistency sticks and the box beamed wilsons are more muted and dynamic. All are precision weapons but I feel like Wilsons favor gutsy shotmaking and prestiges favor patience and control even on the most ridiculously hard hit shot.

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shangri La (Post 7415325)
I had an IG Prestige Pro and it played quite well. But the thing that killed the deal was its feel. It had a metallic and tingy feel which I couldn't stand - I just couldn't feel the ball. OP you never mentioned feel as a requirement but the racquets you've played with all have great feel (haven't played with the Volkl Tour 10 VE). I'd recommend the Dunlop Bio 200G Max. I think a forum veteran PS 90 player had high praise for the racquet as well.

It's funny you mention that because feel is really important to me I just forgot to mention it. I also forgot to mention I refuse to use vibration dampeners. That frame might not work for me then.

Does anyone here have any experience with the slazenger pro braided?

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backhanded Compliment (Post 7415358)
The prestige MP's and Pros offer a lot more feedback and are super consistent... the K90 and 88 feel more muted to me and the thinner beam knifes through the air. I feel like prestiges are consistency sticks and the box beamed wilsons are more muted and dynamic. All are precision weapons but I feel like Wilsons favor gutsy shotmaking and prestiges favor patience and control even on the most ridiculously hard hit shot.

Interesting. This makes me even more curious.

Fed Kennedy 05-15-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgpsx7 (Post 7415355)
Whatever brings out your best tennis. Do you have any KPS88's left? I'll buy them :-)

if you dont care about paint chips that is

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 11:13 PM

I'm gonna email you now. I believe I still have your address.

Shangri La 05-15-2013 11:21 PM

MG P Pro/MP, YT P Pro/MP, IG P MP all had better feel for me than the IG Pro. I really like the raw feel of the K90, but it's too much of a racquet for me. And I bought a PB 10 mid just for its ball feel.

Dgpsx7 05-15-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shangri La (Post 7415379)
MG P Pro/MP, YT P Pro/MP, IG P MP all had better feel for me than the IG Pro. I really like the raw feel of the K90, but it's too much of a racquet for me. And I bought a PB 10 mid just for its ball feel.

Hmm, it looks like I have some demoing to do. I know someone who has a youtek prestige pro and an IG prestige pro so I'll try to get a hold of those and compare them. Based on what you said it looks like we both have the same definition of good feel.

movdqa 05-16-2013 02:08 AM

> So right now you use the IG prestige MP with no lead.

I use an IG Prestige MP with lead and silicone. It's a polarized setup with 30 inches of lead between 10 and 2. My YT Prestige MPs were a different setup. 20 inches of lead between 10 and 2 and 8 inches at 3/9 each. I needed the lead a 3/9 for stability and maybe it gave me some of the PWS effect.

> I saw it got very good reviews but I like my
> frames a little heavier so I wanted to go for
> the Pro. Do you see any downside for me?

I prefer to start with a lighter platform and then add weight to get to where things go. My IGs came to me already matched and customized and I haven't made any other changes.

> Do you mind the thicker beam width compared
> to your wilson frames?

The YTs felt very much like my KPS88s. It might be that I found the right combination of lead tape placement to get that feel. The beam width didn't bother me.

> Also are you very happy with your head frames overall?

I moved to the IG Prestige MPs because of the VSBabolat thread. I picked up four frames but I just left them in my closet for five or six months because I was happy with the YTs. I had arm problems with the KPS88s from time to time but they were great to play with. The most annoying thing about them was their inconsistency - I had frames from 12.6 oz to 13.1 oz stock. I also had a few arm problems with the YTs but it was something that I could live with. Then I gave the IGs a shot (I had some frustrating issues due to my stringer putting in something else because he was out of my favorite) and I found that it was a far more stable racquet. I didn't need the lead at 3/9 for stability so I could go with a pure polarized setup and it was better for my arm. What I lost, of course, was a fair amount of feel. I can live with the tradeoff at this point though.

My thoughts are that YT was Head's version of K-Factor - that is the stiffening of the frame and that IG is Head's version of BLX - added dampening. Some people prefer the stiff, raw feeling which gives you a lot of feedback and some people prefer a more muted feeling. If you're after a lot of feel, I don't think that you'll like the IG. At my age, though, the better arm health is more important than the feel.

movdqa 05-16-2013 02:14 AM

> I'd recommend the Dunlop Bio 200G Max. I think a forum
> veteran PS 90 player had high praise for the racquet as well.

I think that you're talking about BounceHitBounceHit. He has gone back to the KPS88.

Dgpsx7 05-16-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7415500)
> So right now you use the IG prestige MP with no lead.

I use an IG Prestige MP with lead and silicone. It's a polarized setup with 30 inches of lead between 10 and 2. My YT Prestige MPs were a different setup. 20 inches of lead between 10 and 2 and 8 inches at 3/9 each. I needed the lead a 3/9 for stability and maybe it gave me some of the PWS effect.

> I saw it got very good reviews but I like my
> frames a little heavier so I wanted to go for
> the Pro. Do you see any downside for me?

I prefer to start with a lighter platform and then add weight to get to where things go. My IGs came to me already matched and customized and I haven't made any other changes.

> Do you mind the thicker beam width compared
> to your wilson frames?

The YTs felt very much like my KPS88s. It might be that I found the right combination of lead tape placement to get that feel. The beam width didn't bother me.

> Also are you very happy with your head frames overall?

I moved to the IG Prestige MPs because of the VSBabolat thread. I picked up four frames but I just left them in my closet for five or six months because I was happy with the YTs. I had arm problems with the KPS88s from time to time but they were great to play with. The most annoying thing about them was their inconsistency - I had frames from 12.6 oz to 13.1 oz stock. I also had a few arm problems with the YTs but it was something that I could live with. Then I gave the IGs a shot (I had some frustrating issues due to my stringer putting in something else because he was out of my favorite) and I found that it was a far more stable racquet. I didn't need the lead at 3/9 for stability so I could go with a pure polarized setup and it was better for my arm. What I lost, of course, was a fair amount of feel. I can live with the tradeoff at this point though.

My thoughts are that YT was Head's version of K-Factor - that is the stiffening of the frame and that IG is Head's version of BLX - added dampening. Some people prefer the stiff, raw feeling which gives you a lot of feedback and some people prefer a more muted feeling. If you're after a lot of feel, I don't think that you'll like the IG. At my age, though, the better arm health is more important than the feel.

Thanks for all your info. This is very helpful. I know how you feel with Wilson QC because my K90 are so different that they feel like completely different frames. I have experimented a bit with lead in the past few years but never successfully. For some reason it just never worked out for me and unless I am crazy I think it took away some feel in most cases (likely because I was doing it wrong). I'm not gonna use lead anymore in the future because in every case I have always played better with the frame in stock form (esspecially with the pb10 mid and K90). When I get a frame now I either have to like or get used to the balance.

Dgpsx7 05-16-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 7415509)
> I'd recommend the Dunlop Bio 200G Max. I think a forum
> veteran PS 90 player had high praise for the racquet as well.

I think that you're talking about BounceHitBounceHit. He has gone back to the KPS88.

Haha, I saw that in another thread I started a few weeks back and just realized we had a slightly similar conversation except much more in depth here. You may have been the person the originally got me interested in the prestige line. I didn't actually realize it could be a good fit under after I finally looked at the specs.