Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Short High Balls (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463765)

greystar403 05-16-2013 03:45 PM

Short High Balls

I know how to deal with high balls. I usually take it on the rise.

I've been having a lot more trouble with shorter/higher balls lately. They land to short for me to take on the rise. If I stand close to the baseline, it comes up over my shoulders. If I back up, I give up too much of my court position.

I know Agassi would switch grips to semi-western for higher balls, but I can't find myself to get back into my regular grip (extreme eastern).

Is there an easier way to hit a higher ball like what I mentioned above?

johnchung907 05-16-2013 04:43 PM

well... when u mean short.. do u mean like the forecourt short?? If so just run up to the ball and put it away.

greystar403 05-16-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnchung907 (Post 7418797)
well... when u mean short.. do u mean like the forecourt short?? If so just run up to the ball and put it away.

Like Nadal short (barely past the service line). If I try to put it away, I only get passed because it's so close to the service line and I'm limited to what I can do with a ball over my shoulders. Now I know how Federer feels on his bh side...

Graphiteking 05-16-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greystar403 (Post 7418813)
Like Nadal short (barely past the service line). If I try to put it away, I only get passed because it's so close to the service line and I'm limited to what I can do with a ball over my shoulders. Now I know how Federer feels on his bh side...

Don't put it away, be patient and use it as an approach shot. Place the ball in the corner or to your opponent weaker side. Remember placement over pace on approach shot. Don't rush, get your racquet back early, proper footwork, hit the ball just below shoulder height. Another great option is a drop shot, just depend on where your opponent is at.

5263 05-17-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greystar403 (Post 7418813)

One of the misunderstandings of attacking tennis you ref here.
These balls just past the svc line are really more of a mid ct ball than an
attackable short ball sounds like and based on line of shot & pace...may not
be attackable at all other than an aggressive rally shot.

Sounds to me like you have fallen prey to the myth that any ball bouncing around
the svc line is short and attackable, thus feel you have to do too much with
many of these balls that are actually hit pretty well overall.

I'm expecting you need to learn to discriminate better related to when a ball
is truly attackable vs one where you just need to be very aggressive with the
rally shot.

Govnor 05-17-2013 06:43 AM

Agreed with the pros here. "Patience is a virtue" counts double for tennis!

greystar403 05-17-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5263 (Post 7420201)
One of the misunderstandings of attacking tennis you ref here.
These balls just past the svc line are really more of a mid ct ball than an
attackable short ball sounds like and based on line of shot & pace...may not
be attackable at all other than an aggressive rally shot.

Sounds to me like you have fallen prey to the myth that any ball bouncing around
the svc line is short and attackable, thus feel you have to do too much with
many of these balls that are actually hit pretty well overall.

I'm expecting you need to learn to discriminate better related to when a ball
is truly attackable vs one where you just need to be very aggressive with the
rally shot.

I completely understand that those balls aren't attackable. I just don't like the fact I have to wait around for it to drop down into my strike zone for me to actually stay in the point.

I guess I just need to know how to stay in the rally on a ball like that without messing with my court position.

5263 05-17-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greystar403 (Post 7421186)
I completely understand that those balls aren't attackable. I just don't like the fact I have to wait around for it to drop down into my strike zone for me to actually stay in the point.

I guess I just need to know how to stay in the rally on a ball like that without messing with my court position.

Ok, guess it would help to hear how that takes you into poor ct position?
Seems from what you shared that you would be in ideal position at or just
inside the BL to deal with these balls, which is a good place right after ripping
an aggressive rally shot.