Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Classic Racquet Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Why buy brand new racquets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463795)

looseleftie 05-17-2013 03:46 AM

Why buy brand new racquets?

Hey all,
Wondering why there seems to be so many people with the new brand racquets, when the previous model, or the model before is a fraction of the cost, and would suit their intermediate game just the same??
Is it vanity?

Kinda like the average Joe walking into the club with their 9 racquet bag!! I just don't understand..

Maybe it's just me and I'm getting old and grumpy :)

pshulam 05-17-2013 04:33 AM

Like everything else (e.g., cell phone, hand-held PC, TV, camera), consumers want the latest. Tennis gear (racquet, shoe) or wear is no exception. We need them to keep the economy going.

Overdrive 05-17-2013 04:47 AM

PS, you're right.

I will never buy a racquet over $100.

esgee48 05-17-2013 06:03 AM

I prefer the term frugal. 'Cheapskate' works for me. It's a personal issue for people whether they want the latest or just a little-out-of-date. YMMV.

coachrick 05-17-2013 06:08 AM

Tennis players are absolutely frugal when compared to golfers. I've known guys who own as many putters as a good sized pro shop ;) . And 'drivers'...holy cow...$400 each and Joe Duffer gets a new one every season!

It certainly is smart to shop for last year's model if performance per dollar is what you seek. As has been stated many times on this board, there hasn't been a compelling technology (requiring replacement of rackets ) in many, many years.

On the other hand, it's hard NOT to look at the latest and greatest offerings in rackets, hand guns, bicycles, workshop tools, vehicles, etc., etc.

Just take a look at this watch forum:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

heftylefty 05-17-2013 06:25 AM

I can't remember the last time a bought a "new" in season racquet. I buy used stick from many seasons ago and if I really like it, I'll try to find a new one of the exact same model.

IA-SteveB 05-17-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pshulam (Post 7419680)
Like everything else (e.g., cell phone, hand-held PC, TV, camera), consumers want the latest. Tennis gear (racquet, shoe) or wear is no exception. We need them to keep the economy going.

I agree. If a racquet has fictional GT technology and the new model has GT-X technology, you've just got to have it because it might give you the edge you need to move up a court in 3.0 club league. :)

NJ1 05-17-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by looseleftie (Post 7419606)
Hey all,
Wondering why there seems to be so many people with the new brand racquets, when the previous model, or the model before is a fraction of the cost, and would suit their intermediate game just the same??
Is it vanity?

Kinda like the average Joe walking into the club with their 9 racquet bag!! I just don't understand..

Maybe it's just me and I'm getting old and grumpy :)

Perhaps it's a bit of that. :) It doesn't bother me if people want the latest and can afford it, but I always buy sports stuff at discount simply because I refuse to be totally ripped off by huge companies like Nike or huge outlets like TW et al by paying their crazy original prices.

I paid $125 for my sticks when the new model came out and was $200. I do the same with shoes, when mainly white ones drop to from $130 to $80 I'll buy them which works out as $40 pair after a warranty. You get stuff that has a recent manufacture date, but without the markup. Win-Win in my book.

Carolina Racquet 05-17-2013 10:11 AM

I completely agree! If you're patient, you can find gently used newer frames at a huge discount because there are so many racquetholics out there.

Further, buying a discounted frame is the way to truly demo the racquet, allowing you to fiddle with the string and weight setup.

ollinger 05-17-2013 10:22 AM

Can't beat the unsheathing/deflowering of a new racquet grip, peeling back the plastic to expose your new playmate.

Mick 05-17-2013 10:24 AM

because I want Tennis Warehouse to stay in business :-)

magnut 05-17-2013 10:32 AM

Some of use dont even buy new racquet bags. Most of mine are vintage era. For racquets increased profit margions to remain profitable has results in frames that are cheap feeling....hence the reason many here play with discontinued frames. Even the more economical frames of old played better than most of the stuff out there now. The are some exceptions of course but you are going to pay well over $100 when you could spend as little as $5. I just picked up a prince graphite 2 mid size(Rafter's stick) for $5 and thats a tour level frame. THat level of frame is about as good as you can get and make the modern stuff feel like a cheap junior frame from walmart.

As for handguns....they dont make them like they used to. Unlike racquets they hold there value quite well so the deals are a little harder to come by. Especially in the current political environment when everyone is going out to buy firearms for fear of communist takeover. No joke.

MomentumGT 05-17-2013 10:47 AM

Being decked out with the latest, greatest, and trendiest gear distracts onlookers from my ugly game....

-Jon

coachrick 05-17-2013 01:43 PM

[quote=magnut;
As for handguns....they dont make them like they used to. Unlike racquets they hold there value quite well so the deals are a little harder to come by. Especially in the current political environment when everyone is going out to buy firearms for fear of communist takeover. No joke.[/QUOTE]

True...my last 'new' handgun was a new old stock SIG P229 with three years of storeroom dust on the box. I now have a 22lr/9mm combo for less than the cost of the 22lr alone(Conversion kit runs ~$300 by itself).

Fearsome Forehand 05-17-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esgee48 (Post 7419987)
I prefer the term frugal. 'Cheapskate' works for me. It's a personal issue for people whether they want the latest or just a little-out-of-date. YMMV.

Very careful with money. :)

People who don't have a game attempt to buy one. Same rule applies to golf.

Relinquis 05-17-2013 05:09 PM

a lot of people replace stock grips with leather, or thier favourite grip... when buying used, one would do the same...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 7421284)
Can't beat the unsheathing/deflowering of a new racquet grip, peeling back the plastic to expose your new playmate.

Sander001 05-17-2013 06:59 PM

I like stiffer racquets. Been playing with the same 6 frames for nearly 7yrs and they're definitely losing their crispyness.

I'm looking for a more recent Prestige Mid now. They've been in constant production since the beginning of time yet prices still aren't that low. Have my eye on a Flexpoints and it's still $100!

magnut 05-17-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 7423074)
I like stiffer racquets. Been playing with the same 6 frames for nearly 7yrs and they're definitely losing their crispyness.

I'm looking for a more recent Prestige Mid now. They've been in constant production since the beginning of time yet prices still aren't that low. Have my eye on a Flexpoints and it's still $100!

Try some of the different lesser known pro kennex frames. They play about the same. Some even better.

Prestige mids are a great mold though. I have a bunch of them myself.

v-verb 05-17-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 7421288)
because I want Tennis Warehouse to stay in business :-)

I got 2 used sticks from TW in the last week - a Steam 99S and a POG Longbody.

I bought a fair bit of new string from TW though:):): Used string doesn't work so well:shock:

HRB 05-17-2013 07:27 PM

Proudly play with plenty of sticks that retailed for over $150-$200 when new, but I never payed more than $55 for any of them.

The beauty of most sports is plenty of people will go out, spend tons of cash on gear, only to find out they suck at it or just hate it.....then the gear ends up on "The Bay" and I snag it at a fraction of the cost.

Best find so far was a $15 Craigslist Pro Staff Classic 6.1 95.....literally looked like someone played a set at the most....my main stick for past 5 years! Nothing beats blowing someone off the court with a brand new stick and telling them yours is 20 years old when they ask why they haven't heard of it and didn't see it in the store last week.

I've been tempted by the new models, and I'll demo, but yet to find one that feels good enough to justify not just using a used or older version of it. If something new comes out, just have patience and within 6 months to a year you'll have it on the cheap.