Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pro Match Results and Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Djokovic is a wise guy (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463857)

Fiji 05-17-2013 03:52 PM

Djokovic is a wise guy

He tanked Madrid and Rome to be fresh and pumped for the big one.

Mark my words: Djokovic will win RG.

Nadal will be running on fumes.

The writing is on the wall.

namelessone 05-17-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiji (Post 7422731)

While Nadal will probably be running on fumes(is already looking pretty slow on court), it's silly to say that Djokovic tanked these events.

He clearly wanted to win against Dimitrov even with his physical issues, you could see it in his attitude on court, he kept fighting even though he could have retired after his ankle acted up. And why the hell would he tank against Berdych when being one game away from winning the match?

Rozroz 05-17-2013 04:07 PM

with 5 setters and his ankle i would be a bit more careful assuming he'll be so ready for RG. he is Not fit ATM. and he didn't simply tank those matches.

Tenez101 05-17-2013 04:18 PM

Against Dimitrov it looked like he was tanking in the last few games. Definitely not a tank against Berdych.

Not meeting Nadal prematurely might turn out to help him in RG though.

monfed 05-17-2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

I hope you're right but I feel that Novak's missed out on making an even bigger dent in Ralph's psyche thereby making him a big favourite for RG.(similar to 2011)

Justin Side 05-17-2013 05:10 PM

No way Djokovic came that close to winning and did all that 3rd set running in punishing rallies just to tank vs Berdych. But I do think this is Djoker's year to win the French.

AREYOUOUTOFYOURVULCANMIND 05-17-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Hilarious. Nice excuse. Goober.

Mustard 05-17-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Why would Nadal be running on fumes? He has a week off after Rome, and a day off during the French Open in between matches. Djokovic has had two bad losses by his standards in Madrid and Rome. Djokovic playing a mere 4 matches since winning Monte Carlo isn't exactly the ideal preparation for the French Open.

tennis_pro 05-17-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by namelessone (Post 7422760)
While Nadal will probably be running on fumes(is already looking pretty slow on court), it's silly to say that Djokovic tanked these events.

He clearly wanted to win against Dimitrov even with his physical issues, you could see it in his attitude on court, he kept fighting even though he could have retired after his ankle acted up. And why the hell would he tank against Berdych when being one game away from winning the match?

That's the definition of "tanking". See? You got fooled.

The same way Federer tanked against Djokovic in the 2011 US Open semi-finals cause the winner was scheduled to play Nadal in the final. Federer would have nothing left in the tank unless he won in 3, max 4 sets and since Djokovic pushed it to a 5th Federer decided to show the world he's capable of beating him but actually tanked.

I hope I cleared this up for you.

monfed 05-17-2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7422922)

The same way Federer tanked against Djokovic in the 2011 US Open semi-finals cause the winner was scheduled to play Nadal in the final. Federer would have nothing left in the tank unless he won in 3, max 4 sets and since Djokovic pushed it to a 5th Federer decided to show the world he's capable of beating him but actually tanked.

Can't tell if sarcastic or not. :-?

forzamilan90 05-17-2013 05:30 PM

I don't believe pro athletes at such a high level tank. Especially considering how good the number 1 player in the world is. His confidence is high vs anyone. Simple as that.

RoddickistheMan 05-17-2013 06:44 PM

I feel like he tanked this match in order to avoid playing nadal. Not because he cannot beat him, but in order to not reveal his strategies to beat him for their potential roland garros final match up. It is a dishonorable tactic but he is the djoker and it wouldn't surprise me if he did this just to have an edge. Point wise it doesn't affect his number one ranking as he is well ahead of the pack. Cant wait till this ***** loses his number one ranking eventually. Hes such a shady character.

Rocky89 05-17-2013 06:52 PM

He didn't tank, he lost.

Why is it whenever a top player loses unexpectedly it has to be tank job?

Sky Fire 05-17-2013 06:52 PM

He will peak at the right time for RG, chances of upset in best of 5 are less. Not sure about the tank though; would have been better if he gained even some more confidence against Nadal but anyhoo I get the feeling he will take RG assuming he makes the final.

bullfan 05-17-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7422922)

Lol. If Fed tanked against Djokovic in USO, it would have been in 2010 when Rafa was on fire, not 2011.

Clarky21 05-17-2013 07:25 PM

He didn't tank. He did go on a walkabout but I don't think it means much. He will still win RG regardless of his results in Madrid and Rome.

NLBwell 05-17-2013 07:32 PM

Every time a favorite loses, many people on these boards claim: 1) The favorite only lost because he was injured, or 2) The favorite only lost because he tanked.
People around here never give credit to the opposing player.

dudeski 05-17-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarky21 (Post 7423116)
He didn't tank. He did go on a walkabout but I don't think it means much. He will still win RG regardless of his results in Madrid and Rome.

Dammit! Who let he troll of trolls back in? Seriously, she was banned twice already. Enough is enough!

winstonplum 05-17-2013 08:54 PM

Does anyone around here know anything about professional athletes or sports in general? Professional athletes don't "tank." Djokovic losing like he has in Madrid and Rome is not good for him. There's no other way to slice it. I would have called him the favorite a month ago for RG, but even if Nadal loses to Berd tomorrow of Fed the next day, I now would put Nadal as the favorite to win RG. Djokovic has lost some of his magic since 2011.

Sentinel 05-17-2013 09:40 PM

So Djokovic is now the Greatest of All Tankers ? : - )