Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Federer's eye-on-ball posture on impact (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=463858)

watungga 05-17-2013 05:04 PM

Federer's eye-on-ball posture on impact

Gotta say that a while ago, I got my first realization about the essence of "eye-on-ball-during-impact" posture.

I applied my aim somewhat similar to watching the throw of "a dart after you release it" (competitive dart game) or watching the throw/direction of the ball in billiards (competitive pool game). And in golf, watching the launch of the ball in straight line parallel to the ground for a powerful Tiger Woods drive.

I dunno how to explain to in vivid details but I was getting lots of appreciation where all my returns were pretty much solid and has a lot of pace (well, coz i was playing flat strokes). I still have to figure out how to apply advanced stroke like topspin and be able to watch the "throw".

Overall, my observers didn't see any difference at all, and just basing it like a I was having a good day today.

Thepowerofchoice 05-17-2013 05:12 PM

Good info.

http://www.revolutionarytennis.com/f...technique.html

watungga 05-17-2013 08:32 PM

Nothing in that link indicates the "throw" I'm talking about. It is more on style, position, balance, and etc.

My point here is the mindset of producing a canon trajectory of the ball after impact. Much like golf. I know that to earn that wonderful ball delivery takes a whole combination of package of sorts, and all it takes to command all parts to get into harmony is having the mindset that is central to the coordination of things, and I'm picturing about that - "throw".

BMC9670 05-18-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepowerofchoice (Post 7422786)

I've read this before, an while it does makes sense, the author seems to say that Federer sees the ball this way all the time while others don't, and selects photos to support it. However, a quick google image search brings up many photos where he's looking at the ball in front at contact, and you can find photos of other pros that seem to be looking through the back of the racquet at contact. You can find examples both ways.

I got curious and looked through my sons tennis photos and found some pics as young as 8 where he is hitting out front and seeing the ball through the back of the racquet at contact, and others where he is looking in front at contact.

My theory as that it is dependent on many factors - time at the ball to hit out front, position of the body, speed/trajectory of the incoming ball, etc. I don't think Federer is doing anything magical that other pros are not, but his movement, court sense, anticipation, etc allow him to have more time at the ball and do it more often.

In fact, I found more photos of my son looking through the back at younger ages and less as he gets older. I think this is because the incoming pace is greater as the level rises and he has less time at the ball. At the pro level, Fed has more time than many because of his movement and anticipation.

Well, that's my theory anyway...

Lukhas 05-18-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepowerofchoice (Post 7422786)

Interesting article. Food for thought. Bookmarked, we'll see what I can gain from this.

BaselineB 05-18-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lukhas (Post 7424485)
Interesting article. Food for thought. Bookmarked, we'll see what I can gain from this.

Very interesting indeed! I always thought there was a better way of using my vision in tennis, especially coming into impact. I'll try this tomorrow :)

bt johnson 05-18-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watungga (Post 7423134)
Nothing in that link indicates the "throw" I'm talking about. It is more on style, position, balance, and etc.

My point here is the mindset of producing a canon trajectory of the ball after impact. Much like golf. I know that to earn that wonderful ball delivery takes a whole combination of package of sorts, and all it takes to command all parts to get into harmony is having the mindset that is central to the coordination of things, and I'm picturing about that - "throw".

I teach watching the ball into the string bed then keeping the head still by trying to watch the ball through the back of the string bed. I also say that imagine the ball is on a line like a yo yo to define the arc. I see where your head is at here, hard to explain I know.

watungga 05-18-2013 02:39 PM

Got it figured out that it takes a hell lot of consistencies (packages) to make up for that final throw line. It felt like you must achieve the "zone" to be able to see perfection in that throw.

It's so difficult when I had trouble in some other parts of my body being not in synch.

At least I now have that certain aim which may lead to the path of being in the "zone" and maintaining that level (which is the most important).

Lukhas 05-18-2013 02:50 PM

I remember I did it once when I was changing my forehand path for more straight arm. It felt awkward because it was so easy and nice. Never managed to do it again. I hit so late I am always forced to alter my swingpath in such a way I constantly have a reverse forehand finish la Gasquet... and no power whatsoever as I hope my moonball lands into the court. :lol: