Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How to create topspin? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=464232)

prolord89 05-21-2013 02:16 PM

How to create topspin?
 
Hi guys! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I done something wrong. Let me talk about myself a bit. I played tennis for almost a year now. I'm trying my best to improve as much as I can even though I don't have a coach because I don't have the money. I've a tennis group that has good players, around 3.5-5.0. They use lots of topspin; moreover, I'm a natural flat hitter. I've a really hard time with their topspin because I don't have topspin to return their shots. Can anyone please give me some basic fundamental to create a topspin forehand?

NJ1 05-21-2013 02:22 PM

Drop your wrists before contact and after you bring the racquet back during your shoulder turn. The racquet has to begin below the ball and you then bring it up and "brush" the ball with an upward stroke finishing over your other shoulder.

There's only a very limited amount you can learn on a tennis forum. Best thing is to get a few individual lessons with a recommended pro, will be the best $40-60 per hour you'll spend for you game. You'll realize that your problems returning topspin are likely due to deficient footwork and racquet preparation.

sureshs 05-21-2013 02:28 PM

Hit low to high

JRstriker12 05-21-2013 02:45 PM

Brush up on the back of the ball.

Look at some online videos. Plenty of examples like the tutorial from Fuzzy Yellow Balls:
http://youtu.be/fTLdwIt57z0

Or pro footage:
http://youtu.be/nmtkSzhB8GI

TheCheese 05-21-2013 02:55 PM

Get to the ball and pull it up and over the net.

Avles 05-21-2013 03:02 PM

I've found it helps somewhat to visualize myself spinning the ball forward with my strokes.

One drill that some suggest is to hold a ball against the net tape with your racquet as though you're making contact with a forehand, then use the strings to roll it over the net.

sureshs 05-21-2013 03:08 PM

There are plenty of free videos teaching FH topspin

10isfreak 05-21-2013 04:00 PM

It's mainly about the angle of your racket face at contact. If the string bed is slightly closed (the side which will hit the ball faces the ground a bit), you'll hit the ball above its center, which will cause the upper edge of the ball to move forward faster than the rest... in other words, it will spin.

Most people say "hit low to high." That's what you say to a kid who's on the court for the first time... it's simple and it's not completely false. However, if you get better and try to hit tons of spin by swinging super vertically, you might realize that you're sending the ball a lot higher than usual. If you want the same net clearance, but more spin, close the racket face slightly more.

To get Federer-like spin, you'll more than just what I wrote down, but you need to know the basic idea: you're trying to hit the upper edge of the ball to make it spin and you achieve this by angling your racket forward, just a tad more closed (like 5 to 10 degrees) than if it was perpendicular to the ground.

sundaypunch 05-21-2013 04:43 PM

To start, get a foam ball. Drop feed to yourself and hit up the back of the ball to get it to spin forward. Don't worry about hitting it far. Just try to get it spinning with as many RPM's as possible. This is one way to get the basic feel for hitting with topspin.

ace_pace 05-21-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10isfreak (Post 7433783)
It's mainly about the angle of your racket face at contact. If the string bed is slightly closed (the side which will hit the ball faces the ground a bit), you'll hit the ball above its center, which will cause the upper edge of the ball to move forward faster than the rest... in other words, it will spin.

Most people say "hit low to high." That's what you say to a kid who's on the court for the first time... it's simple and it's not completely false. However, if you get better and try to hit tons of spin by swinging super vertically, you might realize that you're sending the ball a lot higher than usual. If you want the same net clearance, but more spin, close the racket face slightly more.

To get Federer-like spin, you'll more than just what I wrote down, but you need to know the basic idea: you're trying to hit the upper edge of the ball to make it spin and you achieve this by angling your racket forward, just a tad more closed (like 5 to 10 degrees) than if it was perpendicular to the ground.

10isfreak is right. Angle of the racket face is what determines how much spin you get. Obviously you need to hit from low to high but the swing path doesnt have to be at a steep angle. BTW different grips only changes your ideal contact point.

TennisMaven 05-21-2013 08:17 PM

Swinging low to high with an open face will result in a flat ball with little spin, no?

Alohajrtennis 05-21-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMaven (Post 7434323)
Swinging low to high with an open face will result in a flat ball with little spin, no?

Swinging low to high with an open face will usually result in the ball hitting the back fence, or landing in the parking lot.

rosewall4ever 05-22-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prolord89 (Post 7433477)
Hi guys! I'm new here, so please forgive me if I done something wrong. Let me talk about myself a bit. I played tennis for almost a year now. I'm trying my best to improve as much as I can even though I don't have a coach because I don't have the money. I've a tennis group that has good players, around 3.5-5.0. They use lots of topspin; moreover, I'm a natural flat hitter. I've a really hard time with their topspin because I don't have topspin to return their shots. Can anyone please give me some basic fundamental to create a topspin forehand?

flat hitter = flat trajectory.ie racquet path comes through ball parallel to ground( horizontal) _ _ _ _ _ not that good because there's no margin for error

topspin = steep(er) tajectory through the ball \
\
\
\
just know that there should be difference in the height of the racquet before(lower) and after (higher) you hit the ball....the postion of the hitting shoulder after followthrough is a good tell tale sign... can't add anything else cause you don't have a vid for us to see.

there is of couse a search function in this forumn if youre not lazy ...its been almost done to death:)

sureshs 05-22-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMaven (Post 7434323)
Swinging low to high with an open face will result in a flat ball with little spin, no?

Use slightly closed face

TennisMaven 05-22-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 7434884)
Use slightly closed face

Yes exactly, therefore it seems the most important component of hitting topspin is not necessarily low to high (although that is required), but rather that the racquet is always vertical or slightly closed throughout the swing path. If at any point the face opens (especially at contact) and you come from below the ball, the ball will as pointed out above, hit the back fence.

boramiNYC 05-22-2013 07:21 AM

a natural wrist movement in a very fast swing will create topspin. start swinging faster and then take out all the unnatural (forced without reason; bad habits) motions at the hand, arm, shoulder, torso, hips, legs, and feet.

tennis_balla 05-22-2013 07:43 AM

One of the experts on this forum helped me immensely on my topspin forehand. When I asked how to improve it, he posted this....


10isfreak 05-22-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMaven (Post 7434323)
Swinging low to high with an open face will result in a flat ball with little spin, no?

If the face is mildly open prior impact, it will cause some back spin. As for the low to high path, if it's too vertical (like 30 degrees of increment from the horizontal plane prior contact), the ball will sail high... very high.

If you want a real flat stroke, you need a more vertical racket face and a much more horizontal swing path. It might stun you all, but on the vast majority of strokes, pros are swinging very horizontally, especially if the contact point is high. We're talking about not going even a foot bellow the ball when it's above the waste...

sureshs 05-22-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisMaven (Post 7434915)
Yes exactly, therefore it seems the most important component of hitting topspin is not necessarily low to high (although that is required), but rather that the racquet is always vertical or slightly closed throughout the swing path. If at any point the face opens (especially at contact) and you come from below the ball, the ball will as pointed out above, hit the back fence.

Isn't it practically impossible to swing upwards with an open face and yet contact the ball?

NJ1 05-22-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_balla (Post 7435005)
One of the experts on this forum helped me immensely on my topspin forehand. When I asked how to improve it, he posted this....


Great post! I also love how every thread in this section has to go on for pages as the hallowed 3.0s and "coaches" debate the minutiae to see who has the better 2D game.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse