Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Best Tacky Overgrip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=464761)

parasailing 05-26-2013 09:37 PM

Best Tacky Overgrip

Wilson Pro overgrip was my favorite go to overgrip until early last year when they changed the formula and made it less durable thus my search begins to find a better grip.

The newly reformulate Wilson Pro overgrip lasts only half as long as the old one and they also raised their price. I really don't like how manufacturers give you less and hope you don't find out then follow that up by raising prices.

1. Original Wilson Pro Overgrip which is no longer being made. The grip lasted for at least a good 10 hours for me and offered the best tacky without hurting your hands.

2. Kirschbaum Touch - It offers a good amount of tack but durability is about the same as the current Wilson Pro overgrip. The biggest downside to this grip is there is a logo imprinted in the grip which could be an issue for some.

3. Mantis Comfort Grip - This offers a good amount of tack and has pretty good durability but this also has a logo on it which for some is a deal breaker.

4. Current Wilson Pro Overgrip - Has the same tack but the grip has poor durability. I notice the grip wrinkles when you wrap around the handle which didn't happen to the old Wilson Pro overgrip.

5. Technifibre ATP Pro Contact - This grip is really soft when you initially wrap it around your racquet and offers very comfortable feel and tack. Two hours of hitting and so far, the grip has stayed in tact and remains tacky. Will update on long term use and durability. This grip also has a logo on the grip though it isn't as obvious and you really don't feel it when you wrap your hands around the handle.

6. Volkl V-tac - I had high hopes for this grip but it turns out it's pretty bad if tack is what is needed. The grip shouldn't even be classified as a tacky grip and feels a bit slippery. Are you suppose to sweat to create tacky for those who mentioned that this is a good grip?

7. Volkl Super Grip II - Slightly better than V-tac but still doesn't offer that much tack.

Jocke 05-27-2013 02:38 AM

Tried Pacific X Tack Pro? Don't remember if it has any logo, but has about the same tack and durability as Mantis Performa Tac and Gamma Supreme. Of these three I would say Mantis is the thinnest and Gamma the thickest.

Carefree 05-27-2013 07:46 AM

Most people swear by Yonex Super Grap. Haven't tried it myself, but I will soon. Currently using Wilson Pro.

Nostradamus 05-27-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carefree (Post 7446740)
Most people swear by Yonex Super Grap. Haven't tried it myself, but I will soon. Currently using Wilson Pro.

It becomes slippery when your hand sweats a lot in very hot humid weather. Question is Is there a Tacky overgrip that stays tacky in very hot humid weather ?:confused:

parasailing 05-27-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocke (Post 7445698)
Tried Pacific X Tack Pro? Don't remember if it has any logo, but has about the same tack and durability as Mantis Performa Tac and Gamma Supreme. Of these three I would say Mantis is the thinnest and Gamma the thickest.

I am planning on getting several other brands to finish the comparison but I heard from TW customer reviews that the blue colored one X Tack Pro is better than the white one but they don't have that one in stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carefree (Post 7446740)

It suffers from the same fate as the Wilson Pro as it used to be better but that's what I heard but I will definitely order a pack to see how well it plays.

BIGJ98 05-27-2013 10:41 AM

Try volk supergrap. It is very durable. I used to use Wilson pro but it only lasted a few days. This volk overgrip has the same tack for at least 12 hours and then it doesn't rip either so you can play with it for a while.

tennisplayer1993 05-27-2013 10:49 AM

I've always liked tournagrip XL. I have used it on every racket since 2001 pretty much. Personally, I dislike tacky overgrips. But the best one that I've heard of is the Yonex Super Grap.

tennisnj 05-27-2013 04:52 PM

Yonex Super Grap in white. About a year-18 months ago they supposedly changed their 'formula' & it wasn't as tacky but I guess they've corrected that because I have no issues with it. Nothing compares, although I've noticed white Tournagrip actually is pretty decent. A student of mine has it on 1 of his racquets & it was terrific. Stay away from Volkl grips, they aren't even close to being durable or tacky & shred in your hands.

Govnor 05-28-2013 07:21 AM

What is the deal with the Wilson Pro's tack lasting about 2 hours? It's incredible how quickly it goes.

eidolonshinobi 05-28-2013 08:07 AM

Yonex supergrap is my favorite, followed by volkl supergrip or vtac.

I've come to believe that the best overgrip for humid climate is tournagrip...after the first use here in Taiwan...best grip and doesn't slip.

lilxjohnyy 05-28-2013 11:40 AM

been using pro supex grip for a long time. Extremely tacky and durable/thick. Is there anything similar available at Tenniswarehouse?

JackDalton 05-29-2013 12:07 AM

Toalson neo quick is extremely tacky and very durable and is my first recommendation, followed by original gamma supreme from the ones I've tried. If you wan't tacky, try these.

If you like less tackiness (like the wilson pro), take a look at the yonex or volkl. I don't like the wilson pro much, because it loses tackiness so quickly the feel is constantly changing. I don't know how durable it is, because it becomes so slippery for me in a couple of hours I want to change it.

Volkl supergrip II is great alternative that I've been using lately. In the beginning it's a bit less tacky, it feels like a 15min used wilson but keeps that for hours where the wilson will continue to lose tackiness. To me it lasts a lot longer and is a lot more consistent in feel compared to wilson pro.

DBrickshaw 05-29-2013 12:55 AM

The tecnifibre pro contact is way better than the tecnifibre pro players overgrip. i got about 10 mins outta the pro players one before it was slipping outta my hand.

i used a solinco wonder overgrip when the brand was first getting big. i remember it bein pretty good. similar to the wilson pro. might have to try it again cuz it was quite a while ago.

my regular grip has been the super grap but been thinkin about switchin it up cuz they raised the price on those too.

anyone tried the genesis grips?

edit: i must be losing my mind cuz i just looked at the yonex grips and they're the same price they've been for a while. i was thinking they were like 5.50 for 3 or something like that

parasailing 07-11-2013 10:30 PM

I just purchased some new grips and added my review of the Volkl products. am disappointed in what they offer and will end up using them to build up my grip size.

So far I still think Wilson Pro Overgrip offers the best tack without lost of feel but durability is just awful on the new ones.

mykoh 07-11-2013 11:15 PM

if you can get your hands on white toalson ultra grips, they are by far the tackiest i've ever used. I've tried supergraps, pro OGs, tourna tac, none have come close to its tackiness, or its durability. it retains it's tackiness incredibly well too.

i live in Singapore which is a very humid country.

parasailing 07-12-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykoh (Post 7585672)
if you can get your hands on white toalson ultra grips, they are by far the tackiest i've ever used. I've tried supergraps, pro OGs, tourna tac, none have come close to its tackiness, or its durability. it retains it's tackiness incredibly well too.

i live in Singapore which is a very humid country.

Aside from tack, do they also have a good feel like the Wilson Pro overgrip? I know the Gamma Razor one is very tacky but it doesn't have a good feel to it.

spinovic 07-13-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBrickshaw (Post 7452336)
The tecnifibre pro contact is way better than the tecnifibre pro players overgrip. i got about 10 mins outta the pro players one before it was slipping outta my hand.

i used a solinco wonder overgrip when the brand was first getting big. i remember it bein pretty good. similar to the wilson pro. might have to try it again cuz it was quite a while ago.

my regular grip has been the super grap but been thinkin about switchin it up cuz they raised the price on those too.

anyone tried the genesis grips?

edit: i must be losing my mind cuz i just looked at the yonex grips and they're the same price they've been for a while. i was thinking they were like 5.50 for 3 or something like that

I like the Tecnifibre overgrips - I can't remember which is which at the moment, but one is 0.5 mm and perforated, while the other is 0.6 mm and isn't. I like the thinner, perforated one better.

ChicagoJack 07-14-2013 06:20 AM

Hi Parasailing,

My vote is for best tack is Yonex SuperGrap. IMO, there are dozens of OGs with similar tack when they are dry, but many of those are a complete disaster under hot and humid conditions. There are quite a few new OGs on the market in the last couple of years, but I've posted some old polls if anybody wants to take quick look around. In the "best overall" competition, it's basically been a shootout btwn Wilson Pro, SuperGrap and good old Tourna for the last 5-10 years, with some of the newest OGs starting to draw favorable attention.

Tackiest OverGrip
Tackiest OverGrip, TW Poll : 2006, January
Tackiest OverGrip, TW Poll : 2006, August
Tackiest OverGrip, TW Poll : 2008, December
Tackiest OverGrip, TW Poll : 2011, September

Best OverGrip
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2006, August
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2006, November
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2007, May
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2008, December
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2008, July
Best Overgrip, TW Poll : 2009, January
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2009, May
Best Overgrip, TW Poll : 2009, June
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2009, August
Best OverGrip, TW Poll : 2011, June

parasailing 07-14-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoJack (Post 7589707)
Hi Parasailing,

My vote is for best tack is Yonex SuperGrap. IMO, there are dozens of OGs with similar tack when they are dry, but many of those are a complete disaster under hot and humid conditions. There are quite a few new OGs on the market in the last couple of years, but I've posted some old polls if anybody wants to take quick look around. In the "best overall" competition, it's basically been a shootout btwn Wilson Pro, SuperGrap and good old Tourna for the last 5-10 years, with some of the newest OGs starting to draw favorable attention.

Thanks ChicagoJack for the all the links. I did see a few of those posting and I would have to agree that Wilson Pro and SuperGrap were considered great grips. However, recently, the Wilson Pro has seen a dramatic decrease in quality. The recent ones I have purchased in the past year do not last very long with a few tearing, not as tacky, and wrinkle when wrapping around the handle.

I love how the Wilson Pro feels but now it only lasts about 1 or 2 sessions tops while the older ones you could easily get 4 to 5 sessions. I have tried the Yonex in the past and though they are tacky, they didn't have the feel the Wilson one offers.

mykoh 07-15-2013 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 7587452)
Aside from tack, do they also have a good feel like the Wilson Pro overgrip? I know the Gamma Razor one is very tacky but it doesn't have a good feel to it.

IMO, if by feel you mean good transference of feedback from the strings to the handle to your hand, then yes. As the name suggests it is very thin and would not dampen feedback.

i find pro OGs and supergraps the tack tends to disappear and the grip starts to feel chalky very quickly. didn't like the feel of that at all..