Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   keeping the same grip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=464791)

Shroud 05-27-2013 08:15 AM

keeping the same grip

I was taught to start out with a continental grip while waiting for the ball, and change grips accordingly.

Somewhere along the way I stopped and ended up using the same grips for both shots just turning the wrist from left to right. Actually this happened on its own from the early days as the continental grip could be and often was used for forehand and backhand without changing. Volleys are a great example.

Now I have 3 "looks" where I'll start out with say a semi-western forehand grip and hit backhands and forehands. Western and continental are the others. Its a trade off depending on the opponent. Forehand is more consistent with the western but lacks some pace, and the backhand with the western FH grip (extreme eastern) is probably the best one I hit. I'll rotate to keep up the variety.

Dont get me wrong, I DO change grips from the original one I start with based on the situation....say if I am stretched and need to slice I'll switch to continental from SW, or if there is a short ball and I want to hit a slice forehand approach, etc. However whole points go by without a grip change.

Is this an advantage?

Or is the conventional ready position with the continental and grip changes advantageous? and if so what are the advantages?

user92626 05-27-2013 08:35 AM

I'll give you a vote of confidence. What you do is very advantageous, and especially for yourself. There's no one grip that fits every situation. One just has to figure out what suits him the most, and looks like you did, naturally.

Btw, I do the same thing. I wait with my sw grip and the other hand somewhat on top of it (ready for BH as well). This is best for me because I'll be hitting FH most of time.

Shroud 05-27-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7446888)
This is best for me because I'll be hitting FH most of time.

Interesting. Maybe that has something to do with it. Has there been a change in the game where we are all hitting more forehands and running around like the pros?

Back in the day I remember starting out often times with the "backhand grip" eastern I think with the idea that I would be ready for the backhand. It was easier to change grips on the forehand than it was for the backhand. This was the first change from the traditional continental ready position.

Maybe that is why I ended up setting up with forehand grips?

user92626 05-27-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shroud (Post 7446905)
Interesting. Maybe that has something to do with it. Has there been a change in the game where we are all hitting more forehands and running around like the pros?

Back in the day I remember starting out often times with the "backhand grip" eastern I think with the idea that I would be ready for the backhand. It was easier to change grips on the forehand than it was for the backhand. This was the first change from the traditional continental ready position.

Maybe that is why I ended up setting up with forehand grips?

What do you mean "maybe"? It's a fact that we hit overwhelmingly more FH than any other stroke. You are blind if you don't see pros positioning themselve to allow them to do that, and if you're a little better with footwork you'll run around your bh and pound a slow shot. :)

Shroud 05-27-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user92626 (Post 7446938)
What do you mean "maybe"? It's a fact that we hit overwhelmingly more FH than any other stroke. You are blind if you don't see pros positioning themselve to allow them to do that, and if you're a little better with footwork you'll run around your bh and pound a slow shot. :)

LOL.

I do see the pros running around.

I have a better backhand than the forehand so I like to hit backhands :)

But your point is well taken.

Too, I think the balls I see are alot faster than 20 years ago so I dont have as much time to change grips accurately like I did before. Serve returns is one place I find not changing grips to be a big plus.

user92626 05-27-2013 09:11 AM

That's more of a "default" waiting grip anyway. Occasionally I do need to change to other grips like continental to block the ball back. I mean, there's advantage from something that's inherently advantageous!!!!!!!!!! :) but you also need to change and adapt as necessary, no?

West Coast Ace 05-27-2013 11:51 AM

That was the rule years ago. But that means you're switching all the time.

At the baseline, I feel more comfortable holding with the BH grip - very lightly - and switching to FH when needed.

Egoista 05-28-2013 10:05 AM

grips are very personal....

Egoista 05-28-2013 10:06 AM

subjective even

Shroud 05-28-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egoista (Post 7450092)
grips are very personal....

Of course!!

Which grip do you use when waiting for the ball??

Egoista 05-30-2013 09:43 AM

semi western

GoudX 05-30-2013 11:54 AM

To OP: My volley ready position is a continental grip and one hand on the throat, but my baseline ready position is two hands in a Semiwestern grip on the same side of the racquet.

Anyone else have a ready position with a semi-western forehand grip, with their left hand in a SW 2hbh grip, on the same bevel?

Haven't come across anyone else who does it, but it doesn't cause me any problems, indeed I hit the ball on the rise much better than most people I know. I find it means that my wrist is laid back, and the racquet face is closed, before the take back even begins. This allows me to extend the racquet straight out into the contact point, whipping the racquet head through, allowing me to just focus on contact height and body position in order to get deep topspin returns off of fast serves and groundstrokes.

If people are struggling to picture what I do, I hold the racquet with the wrists of both arms lined up on the same bevel, holding a forehand SW grip and the top SW grip from a 2hbh. I hit both returns with same face of the racquet and the ready position has the racquet face pointing towards the floor/net.

LeeD 05-30-2013 12:16 PM

What is important is for you to start with the same ready grip for each different situation, so you can use it or change from it to your needed grip.
Different situations need different ready grips.