Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Interesting statistics: Federer's serve at RG 2013 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=464833)

The Meat 05-27-2013 04:56 PM

Interesting statistics: Federer's serve at RG 2013

The RG site recorded Federer's average serve speeds on the Ad and Deuce side of his match, so I wanted to share something interesting. Federer had a faster first serve average on the Ad side against Pablo Carreno-Busta and also served faster at the body on this side as well. On the Deuce side he hits his fastest serve down the T and the slowest outwide.

I just thought this was interesting and I'll be sure to keep posting his serve stats throughout RG to see how much he changes up his serve speeds against different opponents. I'm glad that they have stats on his average serve speeds in the service boxes at this years RG.

LeeD 05-27-2013 05:23 PM

Pretty much explains itself.
Duece, slowest serves are out wide, over the higher part of the net.
Duece, faster serves up the middle, lower net.
Ad, his slices are hit faster, as the net is lower.
Ad, into the body, with his toss atop his head, serves go over a somewhat low part of the net, so can be hit fast.
Ad, serves out wide to the backhand of a rightie, Fed has a great twist serve that is faster than his slice and has more loop action clearing the higher part of the net.

Lukhas 05-27-2013 05:43 PM

Federer believes in percentage tennis. Therefore on Deuce side, if he goes out wide, it often will be sliced. Not very surprised. EDIT: Same with both Berdych and Monfils: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sc...y7/1133ms.html

Seems hitting out wide on deuce court when you're righty is so efficient that you don't need to crush the ball on that side. This is also the direction, along with on body deuce side serve, that gave Monfils the most aces with 6 out of 26. It is also the direction that allowed him to win the most service points on his first serve with 24 points won on that side. Although on second serves he was more lucky to go "down the T" on deuce side: 12 points won there.

Looking at some other match stats, the out-wide deuce serve isn't always the slowest, but it doesn't shine by its speed either. Common threads?

The Meat 05-29-2013 01:25 PM

Here's the serve directionals against Devvarman, I was waiting until this came out to post more about this.

Interestingly enough Federer decided to serve slower down the T against Devvarman on the deuce side, whereas he had more mph's against Pablo.

Dimcorner 05-29-2013 06:16 PM

The difference could have been in the conditions of the day, maybe he felt he didn't need to give it all, maybe he missed a few already so he decided to back off a bit to make them land in.

If this is an average maybe he saw that he couldn't handle the serves even at 191kph so why crank it up more?

5263 05-29-2013 10:04 PM

are these 1st serve avgs?

Sorry... I see now they are.

tennis_ocd 05-30-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 7448306)
Pretty much explains itself.
Duece, slowest serves are out wide, over the higher part of the net.

I don't think net height is the driver as much as slicing it out wide to get opponent off the court. This serve isn't about speed.

LeeD 05-30-2013 10:39 AM

Shall we think this through a little more?
Slice serve is sidespin, gives the curviest ball path, taking the player out wide the widest.
Top/slice goes in more often, can be hit HARDER and FASTER, but doesn't take the opponent as far out of court.
Normal slice also bounces lower, while taking the opponent wider.
Top/slice can be kicked up over chest high, right into the strikezone of rightie NCTA players.
Pure slice needs to be hit slower, because only gravity helps cure it in.