Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Has anyone ever been hit with a ball and went down for the count? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=465084)

Gut4Tennis 05-30-2013 12:21 PM

Has anyone ever been hit with a ball and went down for the count?

Its happened to me a few times. The worst was when a ball grazed my eye. the stinging pain made it impossible to continue that day.

Here is jack sock being hit in the groin at the aussi open 2013 in mixed doubles

very funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwtr_k9dIg

Bdarb 05-30-2013 01:07 PM

literally the exact thread was made like a week or two ago.

lostinamerica 05-30-2013 01:53 PM

In high school, I was playing a match and my opponent hit a short lob. He start charging the net to distract me. I hit the overhead as hard as I could and it hit him in the nose from about 6 feet away. There was blood everywhere and he was done. I had a hard time not laughing because he brought it on himself.

A week later, I saw the same opponent and his nose was broken and still swollen to the size of a tennis ball.

As fate would have it, he and I had a class together as seniors in college. I acted like I didn't remember but he remembered. We actually laughed about it and fessed up to remembering. He even admitted he got what he deserved. He had been hit but never quite like that and fortunately, it never happened to him again.

I've been popped by my huge serving partner right where the ear and jaw come together. I was dizzy for a spell. Oddly, once my head cleared and ear stopped ringing, I played great because before that I couldn't hit anything.

Gut4Tennis 05-30-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostinamerica (Post 7456989)
In high school, I was playing a match and my opponent hit a short lob. He start charging the net to distract me. I hit the overhead as hard as I could and it hit him in the nose from about 6 feet away. There was blood everywhere and he was done. I had a hard time not laughing because he brought it on himself.

A week later, I saw the same opponent and his nose was broken and still swollen to the size of a tennis ball.

As fate would have it, he and I had a class together as seniors in college. I acted like I didn't remember but he remembered. We actually laughed about it and fessed up to remembering. He even admitted he got what he deserved. He had been hit but never quite like that and fortunately, it never happened to him again.

I've been popped by my huge serving partner right where the ear and jaw come together. I was dizzy for a spell. Oddly, once my head cleared and ear stopped ringing, I played great because before that I couldn't hit anything.

great story buddy

lostinamerica 05-30-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gut4Tennis (Post 7457104)
great story buddy

Thanks, fortunately, I've played enough through the years to have great memories, bad memories, great ups and devastating losses. The game has been a great source of enjoy,net for me and my best friends are my wife, kids and tennis friends.

I've been teaching my kids tennis and I got hit in the face today when hand feeding the ball to my 7 year old. This certainly didn't knock me out but the kids got great enjoyment out of it. They certainly found it more amusing than me. I may make a game out of them hitting me. It keeps their attention.:)

v-verb 05-30-2013 08:48 PM

I lost control of a real heater of a serve and hit my mixed doubles partner in her kidney. She dropped and crawled to the edge of the court. Recovered later on.

I was really down for the rest of the week. She was fine the week later but I have to say I hate hitting anyone - I never ever even aim my shots to hit people at the net.

LeftyRighty 05-30-2013 08:52 PM

My wifes coach was teaching her how to play the net, and she hit a ball right at his face. He tried to block it while ducking at the same time, but him and his racquet went down like Pacquiao.

It's way more funny if you knew him. He is very very arrogant. So him going down because of HER just made all the more lulz

GlennK 05-31-2013 05:54 AM

Playing doubles and my partner hit a sitter. Being young and arrogant (yes, many years ago) I stood my ground at the service line thinking I could get the ball back. Anyhow, opponent hit an overhead that landed about 2 feet in front of me and then came straight up and hit my groin. I was down for about 5 minutes and was then able to continue.

However, for the next 3 days I was in pain and walked bowlegged. I thought there was some damage but luckily, the pain went away. Taught me a lesson on protecting myself.

Gut4Tennis 05-31-2013 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-verb (Post 7457939)
I lost control of a real heater of a serve and hit my mixed doubles partner in her kidney. She dropped and crawled to the edge of the court. Recovered later on.

I was really down for the rest of the week. She was fine the week later but I have to say I hate hitting anyone - I never ever even aim my shots to hit people at the net.

ohhh man that is brutal

you really hurt her

glad she recovered after a few days of pain :shock:

rosewall4ever 05-31-2013 07:16 AM

Close calls from my partner serving as i was at the net...dangerous:shock:

spaceman_spiff 05-31-2013 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosewall4ever (Post 7459009)
Close calls from my partner serving as i was at the net...dangerous:shock:

I've had a few where I could hear the ball flying past me, occasionally on the wrong side of my head (usually passing my right ear while my partner serves from the ad side). Luckily, I haven't been hit by one yet.

Power Player 05-31-2013 07:40 AM

This is the safest sport I have ever played. I have been hit with baseballs and lacrosse balls at 90+, and that experience makes a tennis ball seem like a soft kiss.

Gut4Tennis 05-31-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftyRighty (Post 7457949)
My wifes coach was teaching her how to play the net, and she hit a ball right at his face. He tried to block it while ducking at the same time, but him and his racquet went down like Pacquiao.

It's way more funny if you knew him. He is very very arrogant. So him going down because of HER just made all the more lulz

love when an arrogant coach gets thumped :twisted:

Gut4Tennis 05-31-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennK (Post 7458727)
Playing doubles and my partner hit a sitter. Being young and arrogant (yes, many years ago) I stood my ground at the service line thinking I could get the ball back. Anyhow, opponent hit an overhead that landed about 2 feet in front of me and then came straight up and hit my groin. I was down for about 5 minutes and was then able to continue.

However, for the next 3 days I was in pain and walked bowlegged. I thought there was some damage but luckily, the pain went away. Taught me a lesson on protecting myself.

ohhhhhhhhhhh yes the angle from the bottom up is brutal

great story thanks

Gut4Tennis 05-31-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff (Post 7459085)
I've had a few where I could hear the ball flying past me, occasionally on the wrong side of my head (usually passing my right ear while my partner serves from the ad side). Luckily, I haven't been hit by one yet.

ohhh wow if I heard on the right side of my head while the server was in the ad side and I was not in aussi formation, then I would not be happy to say the least

Gut4Tennis 05-31-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Player (Post 7459093)
This is the safest sport I have ever played. I have been hit with baseballs and lacrosse balls at 90+, and that experience makes a tennis ball seem like a soft kiss.

I agree

Usually in those sports you have a cup to protect your boys, but in tennis its another ballgame (pun intended) :twisted:

v-verb 05-31-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gut4Tennis (Post 7458866)
ohhh man that is brutal

you really hurt her

glad she recovered after a few days of pain :shock:

Yep me too! After that she stayed way back when I served. She's a nice lady - I still feel bad that happened but lesson learned for me

LeeD 05-31-2013 04:49 PM

When at net in doubles, I bend my knees, jackknife at the waist, and try to stay out of the way of any possible return by my partner. If the serve/shot goes up the middle, and I don't poach, I move towards my alley. If the return goes wide to my backcourt partner's alley, I take a step and half towards the middle.
Never could understand the net players who stand straight up while hugging the net.

Avles 06-01-2013 05:55 AM

A few months after I'd started playing I was playing doubles and hit a short sitter in the direction of the net player. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to follow that shot right up to the net, and his response hit me right in the Adam's apple at point-blank range.

I don't remember if I went down but my throat felt very funny for a while. I don't charge the net after hitting a sitter anymore...

tennisnut123 06-01-2013 06:01 AM

playing in a junior tourney I hit a serve that hit the tape on a clay court and it skid off the line and hit my opponent straight in the nuts and he had to call it quits...