Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Wimbledon (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466151)

LetsGoRoddick 06-08-2013 05:32 PM

Wimbledon

So within the last month or so my family organized a trip to london from the 14th on and obviously that means we'll be there during Wimbledon. Since it was kind of late planning I don't have too high expectations to get to see some great matches (or maybe anything at all).

I know there is the queuing, and I'd prefer not to do that. However, at this stage beggars can't afford to choose so I could deal with that if I had to (My dad and I will just grab a few beers). What are the ways I can acquire a ticket(s) to see some early round action?

CourtlyLove 06-09-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoRoddick (Post 7491109)
So within the last month or so my family organized a trip to london from the 14th on and obviously that means we'll be there during Wimbledon. Since it was kind of late planning I don't have too high expectations to get to see some great matches (or maybe anything at all).

I know there is the queuing, and I'd prefer not to do that. However, at this stage beggars can't afford to choose so I could deal with that if I had to (My dad and I will just grab a few beers). What are the ways I can acquire a ticket(s) to see some early round action?

Queuing is basically your option. If I were you I would hardly hesitate to queue for round one grounds passes. You'd be mad to pass it up.

You could also check out Eastbourne, or free Wimbledon qualies at Roehampton.

LetsGoRoddick 06-10-2013 05:14 AM

Thanks for the tips mate. Checking out the qualifying action sounds great too.

What are some good times to get to the queue so I'm guaranteed to get in?

CourtlyLove 06-10-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoRoddick (Post 7496115)
Thanks for the tips mate. Checking out the qualifying action sounds great too.

What are some good times to get to the queue so I'm guaranteed to get in?

I've never actually gone, but I'm meticulously planning for a future trip.

From what I've heard, 6-7am in the queue is early enough for ground passing and getting into the grounds with time to spare before play begins.

LetsGoRoddick 06-25-2013 08:59 AM

Well I wanna say thanks again, cause I did the queue and got in on the first day of play. I had a grounds pass but I went to the resale queue and got to watch Andy Murray from just the 10th/9th row centre court for $10! It was an amazing experience, even before getting on to centre.

iyudhi 06-25-2013 10:59 AM

LetsGoRoddick can you elaborate more the resale queue? Also, what time did you start queuing?

I'm planning to get at least ground tickets for July 3rd, but if possible something more. Any suggestions guys?

gavna 06-29-2013 05:35 AM

Umm the queues this week have been starting the night before....by 6am more folks in line than available tickets all week -

I couldn't use our tickets yesterday and gave them to a family standing in the middle of the line and they told us they started the night before!!!!!

PrinceMoron 06-30-2013 07:04 AM

Resale tickets for centre after 4.00 are often debenture seats, little to right of van court Royal box end. Nice seats for not much money.

When I entertain at WO I usually have to leave at four - it is a working day. If I go under my own steam I leave after the last ball is played, say 9.20.

Ideal scenario is a backlog of matches, unexpected rain and a late centre court match under the roof. Start queuing at 12.00 and you will be in between 4.00 and 6.00. Then queue again for show court returns - two queues, one for centre and one for eithe one or two. 30 mins max.

Or just wander around the outside courts.

Queues are longer than I have ever seen before, so be prepared for a long day. you can go early ie 7.00. People camping get woken at 6.00 and are queuing by 6.30.

You get a card with a number so you don't have to stand in the line all day, but you can't disappear for ages either.

iyudhi 07-02-2013 10:43 AM

Thanks PrinceMoron. So when you say start queuing at 12, do you mean for the resale tickets or for regular?

I'm arriving July 3rd around 7 AM, with immigration, putting my stuff away, etc I estimate I can be at Wimbledon around 10 AM-ish.. Should I start queuing or should I just arrive at 12?

Thanks,

PrinceMoron 07-02-2013 10:59 AM

For the ground passes and then for returns. Of course many of the ground passes will have been show court returns.

To get one of the show court tickets straight off you will need to be there very early in the morning. Maybe even overnight now that it is the latter stages.

I imagine there won't be so many queuing for ground passes now it is vets and juniors on many courts.

There is usually an sudden surge for returns after four, when people have had enough and leave. So the queue does nothing for hours then suddenly starts moving. Before four there won't be many tickets becoming available, so if you are not near the front there will be little advantage in being number 7000 instead of 9000.

You will get a card with a number and you could send someone in your party out to get food, catch the atmosphere. Most people queue and stand in line very politely but there is no reson why you cannot walk along the ropes and hop over back to where you were.