Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tying the Knot using Natural Gut (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466180)

mars76 06-09-2013 03:41 AM

Tying the Knot using Natural Gut

Hi All,

I am trying natural gut for the first time and after stringing the mains (using two piece method) and i cannot tie the knots. The String won't go through the grommet hole.

I don't want to use the awl as it might break the string that's already in it. When i tried to push little by little using a small plier it bends.

Please help me with some suggestions.

Thanks

gully 06-09-2013 04:19 AM

Can you ...

Use a firm poly with a sharp tip and some chapstick to open the hole a bit? Then cut a sharp tip on the gut? Use a little chapstick to lube it through?

Some sticks might allow you to use a different hole.

tennytive 06-09-2013 04:21 AM

Off the top of my head, try cutting the ends of the string at a sharp angle so you have a pointed end. Use a little chap stick on the end, and make sure you're using the tie off holes which should be large enough to accept 2 strings.

YULitle has a youtube video showing what to do. It was very helpful for me.

Ha! Gully beat me to it.

Irvin 06-09-2013 05:55 AM

Piece of cake put the tag end of the string in the grommet hole before tensioning the anchor string. If you string then comes up to short to tension use a starting clamp as a bridge to pull tension. Works every time.

Also if you are using gut for your crosses it is sometimes difficult to get the flimsy sting in the skipped grommet holes when the holes are covered by the tensioned strings. If you pre weave the top crosses before blocking those holes you will never have a problem.

Sweet-Spot 06-09-2013 01:04 PM

Good tip Irvin, amazing what thinking ahead and planning can prevent. I'll remember that for future.

zapvor 06-09-2013 10:49 PM

practice also helps

jim e 06-10-2013 01:34 PM

Making a plastic awl out of a scrap piece of poly works well lubed with the chap stick as mentioned. Take the poly awl out and folow with the gut tip.

Also , once you cut the tip of the gut to a sharp point, you can use some super glue to the tip, only a small amount, then spray it with super glue accelerator and that will set it up immediately. Now the tip is stiff to push it through.

I string a lot of nat. gut, and usually all is needed is to cut a well flattened tip of the gut to a sharp point is all that is needed, and push in small increments.Flatten that tip with your starting clamp before you cut to a sharp angle.With a razor blade you can cut a very sharp angled point. It may take a little time, but will save time in the end.
Once in a great while I resort to the poly awl technique, but the above works 90+ % of the time .

dancraig 06-15-2013 10:59 PM

Don't pull too hard on gut knots, the gut can snap.