Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Friends and enemies in the ATP (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466285)

HughJars 06-09-2013 09:01 PM

Friends and enemies in the ATP

Who are good friends and who are enemies in the ATP top 100?

I know Fed and Tsonga are pretty close. And Nadal/Ferrer. Not sure if they are BFF's though.

I heard Haas and Kohlschreiber dont like each other.

And obviously Stephens and Williams.

cluckcluck 06-09-2013 09:10 PM

Nadal dislikes Soderling and Rosol
Federer is loved by every player on the ATP and WTA.
Gulbis dislikes the top 4 because they're boring.

beast of mallorca 06-09-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7495500)

Nadal definitely loves his favorite lap dog..........:twisted:

Colin 06-09-2013 09:14 PM

Fed and Haas playing together in doubles this week. Of course, Fed loves Tsonga. He wants him to inherit his crown and even tried to set him up for success in France by playing horribly so not to tire him out against the roadrunner (didn't work).

Haas is also supposedly really close with Sharapova, and they practice together. And she's even closer to Dimitrov. And she's friendly with Novak for all those commercials. Funny how she likes hanging out with the guys but has few friends on the women's side.

Don't like each other:
Soderling (if he comes back) and Nadal
Berdych and Almagro (though I think Berdych rubs a lot of people wrong)

NEW_BORN 06-09-2013 09:33 PM

From what i've seen Federer and Wawrinka are no friends, just 2 countrymen who happened to win an Olympic gold together.

Lavs 06-09-2013 09:38 PM

Safin used to be a friend of Hewitt when he was on a Tour.
Haas and Fed are good friends.
Scharapova does not have any friends among the girls.. She once declared it.

cucio 06-10-2013 01:01 AM

I don't think there are many close friendships at the top 100 level (close meaning you would invite the guy to your wedding), the competition dynamics are probably too hard on personal relationships, even if they share a love for the sport, similar lifestyles and see each other very often.

Maybe Roddick and Fish.

Apun94 06-10-2013 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 7495500)

Dont think it's that way. He is respected, sure. Dont think he is close to anyone. Many players have said that Fed doesnt hangout with a lot of the other players. Sort of keeps a distance. Not trying to imply anything...

Magnus 06-10-2013 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apun94 (Post 7495915)
Dont think it's that way. He is respected, sure. Dont think he is close to anyone. Many players have said that Fed doesnt hangout with a lot of the other players. Sort of keeps a distance. Not trying to imply anything...

Your amount of BS is unbelievable. Fed is fairly close with lots of players. James Blake used to say they are good friends. He was also a good friend to Roodick, and he's a friend of Haas and Tsonga. I don't think any 2 top players (as it top 30) are great friends though, because its impossible to be a great friend one day and the next day keep your distance cause you gotta beat him on court.

papertank 06-10-2013 04:24 AM

Nadal is good friends with Juan Monaco, Marc Lopez and Nalbandian
Nadal and Murray are friends
Murray and Djokovic are friends, they trained together as juniors and flew up the rankings together
Tsonga and Monfils
Roddick and Fish used to live together I think
The serbs (Djokovic, Troicki, Tipsarevic, Zimonic) are all close
Federer is friends with Hewitt, Roddick, Haas, Cilic

And for the enemies:

Federer used to hate Novak because of the gamesmanship he used to pull, he probably respects him more now
Berdych and Almagro obviously
Soderling and Nadal
Murray and Delpo

rossi46 06-10-2013 05:02 AM

Didn't Dimitrov try to kiss Monfils on the lips at the net once after a match ??

pound cat 06-10-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lavs (Post 7495563)
Safin used to be a friend of Hewitt when he was on a Tour.
Haas and Fed are good friends.
Scharapova does not have any friends among the girls.. She once declared it.

I never heard about Safin and Hewitt. But I know that Gulbis and Safin were friends. 2 peas in a pod even though Gulbis was quite a bit younger.

They used to hang out in South Beach

Emet74 06-10-2013 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus (Post 7495935)
Your amount of BS is unbelievable. Fed is fairly close with lots of players. James Blake used to say they are good friends. He was also a good friend to Roodick, and he's a friend of Haas and Tsonga. I don't think any 2 top players (as it top 30) are great friends though, because its impossible to be a great friend one day and the next day keep your distance cause you gotta beat him on court.

These kinds of threads always get hung up on the definition of "friends" - does that mean two people who get along when they happen to meet, or does it imply seeking out each other's company?

Fed and Roddick always had a friendly locker-room relationship for example, but never socialized together. Meanwhile, Fed and Haas are genuinely friends; there are a gazillion paparazzi pics of them out socializing together with their wives etc.

Different animal.

bullfan 06-10-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW_BORN (Post 7495553)
From what i've seen Federer and Wawrinka are no friends, just 2 countrymen who happened to win an Olympic gold together.

Completely inaccurate. Fed shares his physio with Stan, because Feds far richer. fed also was asked to carry the flag at the Olympics and suggested Stan instead.

tennis_pro 06-10-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papertank (Post 7496020)
Nadal is good friends with Juan Monaco, Marc Lopez and Nalbandian
Nadal and Murray are friends
Murray and Djokovic are friends, they trained together as juniors and flew up the rankings together
Tsonga and Monfils
Roddick and Fish used to live together I think
The serbs (Djokovic, Troicki, Tipsarevic, Zimonic) are all close
Federer is friends with Hewitt, Roddick, Haas, Cilic

And for the enemies:

Federer used to hate Novak because of the gamesmanship he used to pull, he probably respects him more now
Berdych and Almagro obviously
Soderling and Nadal
Murray and Delpo

Federer and Cilic are friends? I never knew that...got a source?

tennis_pro 06-10-2013 05:41 AM

All the Americans are good friends - Roddick, Fish, Isner, Querrey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83VteldaEHE

tennis_pro 06-10-2013 05:43 AM

Federer and Roddick are pretty good friends despite their h2h. Roddick en general is a very likeable guy. Some umpires could disagree, though.

Nitish 06-10-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennis_pro (Post 7496184)
Federer and Roddick are pretty good friends despite their h2h. Roddick en general is a very likeable guy. Some umpires could disagree, though.

+1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF_C7...?v=wF_C7x78o8U

Apun94 06-10-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus (Post 7495935)

There have been several players who have said that Fed stays with his own team and doesnt interact with a lot of players. (once again, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe that's his personality and that's fine by me) I am sure Janowicz was also one who said that.
I seriously dont know where you got the info about Tsonga and Haas being good friends with Fed. Yes Fed seems to like them but I dont know if he hangs out with them outside the court.