Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Georgia Southwestern State University/Flagler College (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466784)

jw-simon 06-14-2013 05:50 AM

Georgia Southwestern State University/Flagler College

Hello fellow tennis lovers.
I'm wondering can anyone give me information on these two schools.
I'd prefer not to be asked why but I want to know everything about them from a tennis point of view. I know about the colleges themselves but it's difficult to gather information about their tennis.

I need information on the following (Men's Tennis) - How high is the standard at both ? How many hours training do they do ? Is it intensive or are they just there to make up the numbers ? What's tennis like in the fall season ? Do the players want to work hard/hungry for success ? Do they get free stuff or is the school on a low budget ? Why are both sides finding it difficult to win matches ? GSW had a season of 3-15 and Flagler were 4-14,is it because of the high standard in the PBC conference ? What are their prospects for next season ?

I know my questions are limited to just 2 schools but if anyone has an info I'd really appreciate it. Also if one wants to discuss anything about the PBC conference feel free to do so!

Thanks very much in advance !!

jcc309 06-15-2013 03:21 AM

Many of these questions could be asked directly to the coach to get the best answer, better than any of us could give.

jw-simon 06-15-2013 04:46 AM

I appreciate your point it's just I'm looking for info from an outside source.

Obviously the coaches would build these places up. I'm just hoping someone on here has info about them-maybe played against them/watched their matches/practices etc.
I want to know are these guys competitive and train hard ! JW-S

andfor 06-15-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jw-simon (Post 7508606)
I appreciate your point it's just I'm looking for info from an outside source.

Obviously the coaches would build these places up. I'm just hoping someone on here has info about them-maybe played against them/watched their matches/practices etc.
I want to know are these guys competitive and train hard ! JW-S

Flagler traditionally up until recently was a top team when they were NAIA and now DII. They looked to have dropped off some in the past few of years. GSW I have no idea but looking on Tennisrecruiting I recognize some of their players from the Southerns. Decent players but no idea how they have improved since going to play college. As previously mentioned you should ask the coach. Ask him how hard he works the players and request a sample schedule for what a week of practice is like. Set up a recruiting visit to the schools and ask the players in person. The likelihood of a player or person coming here with first hand knowledge to answer your questions is pretty low. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

floridatennisdude 06-15-2013 06:23 PM

I don't know anything about Flagler except that it is tucked in downtown st Augustine. And St Augustine is an awesome town.

tennisballer 06-18-2013 12:58 PM

I don't know much about the Flagler program either but do know that they are currently in midst of a search for a new men's tennis coach.

tennisjon 06-19-2013 06:32 AM

I know several players from Georgia Southwestern. I worked with them over the summers. Good players and it seems that they were well coached too.

Slim Pickens 06-19-2013 08:51 AM

Any interest in Dalton State College? It is a new member of the NAIA and will begin intercollegiate play this Fall, mostly against SSAC schools. Located in northwestern corner of Georgia.

TopDawg 06-19-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slim Pickens (Post 7517283)
Any interest in Dalton State College? It is a new member of the NAIA and will begin intercollegiate play this Fall, mostly against SSAC schools. Located in northwestern corner of Georgia.

It's interesting that they are starting up tennis there. Tennessee-Chattanooga just up the road dropped it a few years back and that area produces some decent talent. Dalton State is primarily a commuter school.

Slim Pickens 06-20-2013 03:53 AM

There is good local talent, but most of the current recruits, for both men and women, are European and South/Central American with some North Georgia talent thrown in for good measure.

It is primarily a commuter school, but dorms are available, and the cost of living is low. Facilities are very good for a new program in the NAIA, and I do mean NEW, this will be their first inter-collegiate athletic program since the 1970's. Atlanta is only an hour or so away.

The coaches, Michel Bates and Zach Rogers both have NCAA experience as players and are two of the nicest people you will ever meet.

andfor 06-20-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopDawg (Post 7517610)
It's interesting that they are starting up tennis there. Tennessee-Chattanooga just up the road dropped it a few years back and that area produces some decent talent. Dalton State is primarily a commuter school.

Not sure what you mean about ..."Tennessee-Chattanooga dropped it a few years back"... UT Chatt still has a program, men and women.

TopDawg 06-20-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andfor (Post 7519584)
Not sure what you mean about ..."Tennessee-Chattanooga dropped it a few years back"... UT Chatt still has a program, men and women.

Yeah it was baseball they dropped. I used to play about 5 times a month on UTC's courts so I don't know why I said tennis.