Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What must Djokovic do in order to win Wimbledon again?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466796)

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 07:52 AM

What must Djokovic do in order to win Wimbledon again??

I'm too lazy to present my ideas.

Discuss.

I will update this thread as suggestions come forth:

- Avoid Nadal, Murray and Federer in good form/ favourable draw (such as Federer and Nadal both appear in Murray's half).
- Improve his movement specifically on grass.

- Must have a very fine returning performance.

On points like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz7qn...ailpage#t=265s Nole either needs to hit a way better lob and take his touch to the next level, or have the bravery to whip or flick a pass. Such success again at Wimbledon could very much depend on a moment or two like this.

- Be more committed to the pass.
- Has the talent, just needs to put a great two weeks together as he's proven he can do 6 times previously.
- Overheads, silly!
- Play at his normal level.
-Win the final. /thread

President 06-14-2013 07:54 AM

Avoiding any of the other top 4 players in good form is the only way he will win.

NatF 06-14-2013 07:59 AM

He needs to improve his movement on the surface.

President 06-14-2013 08:05 AM

Technically he leaves a lot to be desired on grass, his volleys and overheads are both god-awful and his ability to handle low balls (way more prevalent on grass) is not the best, especially compared to other top players. As the above poster said his movement is also not the best on grass, he lacks really precise footwork and relies more on flexibility and athleticism to move. Same reason he struggles in the wind compared to the other top players, they have better technical footwork.

Kahlz 06-14-2013 08:13 AM

He just needs to party like it's 2011. That reference would sound a lot better if 2011 even remotely rhymed with 1999.

r2473 06-14-2013 08:17 AM

Show up.

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 08:17 AM

Djokovic's strengths in general:

-Fantastic baseline consistency
-Very good at redirecting the ball
-Superb return
-Good droppers and lobs
-Formidable athleticism and speed
-Defence to attack capability is sometimes extraordinary.

Aspects that are fairly good, if but not huge strengths:

-Passing shots
-Serve
-Shot-making finesse
-Footwork

Mediocre (relatively) aspects to his game:

-Volley
-Transition
-Slice
-Variety
-Overhead

Aspects that are weaker relatively on grass compared to his play on other surfaces:

-Movement

The problem with grass is, a lot of the things that are highly valued in order to succeed there are not part of Nole's highest strengths, but fit in more with guys like Nadal and Federer's highest strengths. I'm thinking about shot-making finesse, footwork, passing shots (currently Nadal), serve (currently Federer). Also the aspects of Nole's game that are relatively mediocre to the rest of his game happen to be aspects that are more important than usual to get the win at Wimbledon as compared to the other Majors; volley, slice, variety, overhead. Even one of Nole's most impressive strengths is relatively negated compared to the usual because of the surface and his ability to adapt his movement for the surface -- movement.

So, Nole's game isn't badly suited to grass as such, but as proven over many years now, his natural biggest strengths are not as apt for grass as for at least 2 of the 3 other top players. The required parameters that one needs to excel in order to win here on grass and just in general on natural surfaces (quick adaptations with footwork, shot-making finesse, variety, passing shots) are ones that Nole possesses in fair quantity, but not in an overwhelmingly rich abundance.

One thing that he does have going for him in a huge way is his return of serve.

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahlz (Post 7506832)
He just needs to party like it's 2011. That reference would sound a lot better if 2011 even remotely rhymed with 1999.

LOL. Please post more frequently.

sbengte 06-14-2013 08:22 AM

Refrain from hitting overheads.

And FWIW, bring this man back into his team.

(where is that gif of dr igor blowing kisses at Wimbledon ?)

topher 06-14-2013 08:23 AM

His return game needs to be out of this world (per usual), so he can take control of points more often and redirect the pressure. As others said, he needs to improve his volleying skills and movement on grass.

All of that said, if he avoids the other Big 4 or just happens to play a mentally perfect match while they don't he could win it with his current game potentially. Even with today's ultra-consistent Big 4 sometimes things just work out your way and that could happen for Novak this tournament. Novak's as much a favorite as almost anyone IMO, if not simply for the fact that he's the #1 player in the world.

bullfan 06-14-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbengte (Post 7506850)
Refrain from hitting overheads.

I have to wonder how many players will now try the tactic.

Novak lost to Rafa at Olympic SF on an overhead miss that went long. Rafa has successfully used the tactic against him in the past.

papertank 06-14-2013 08:50 AM

Avoiding the big four would be the easiest way, but if he can just manage to only have to play Nadal he could have a chance. I would give him a 50/50 shot at beating Nadal, while less to beat Fed/Murray.

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papertank (Post 7506922)
Avoiding the big four would be the easiest way, but if he can just manage to only have to play Nadal he could have a chance. I would give him a 50/50 shot at beating Nadal, while less to beat Fed/Murray.

I'll add a good draw to the OP.

Bhagi Katbamna 06-14-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kahlz (Post 7506832)

It is going to be tough for him to play that well. That year, against the big players he just didn't miss. It seemed like he never hit the ball into the net or long.

kishnabe 06-14-2013 08:57 AM

Avoid anyone with a single hander!

Steve0904 06-14-2013 09:02 AM

Not a whole lot really. He's got the talent. It's an easy answer I know, but he just needs to put it all together for 2 weeks and peak at the end.

5555 06-14-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by President (Post 7506779)
Avoiding any of the other top 4 players in good form is the only way he will win.

Bookmakers claim that Djokovic is the 1st favorite to win Wimbledon. Bookmakers are generally the most accurate forecasters when compared with statistical systems or expert predictions (reference: Boulier, B.L. and Stekler, H.O. (2003), ‘Predicting the outcomes of national football league games’, International Journal of Forecasting, 19(2), 257–270).

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 09:39 AM

It isn't hard to claim the world no.1 is favourite for a tournament. Bookmakers go with the flow of the current facts where as 'expert predictions' often try to buck trends.

How will our 'amateur' predictions fair. ;)

ScottleeSV 06-14-2013 09:47 AM

I don't think he needs to change an awful lot, tbh.

He was the champion in 2011 (battering Nadal in the process), and last year only lost to an in-form Fed indoors.

If anything, he maybe needs to look at the Federer semi final tape from last year and see what he could improve if the same match came along again. Aside from that, a worthy tournament favourite imo.

Gandalf 06-14-2013 09:58 AM

He needs to retire, along with Nadal and Federer, so the same 5 people could stop making 20+ dumb threads every day.