Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   nadal's comeback vs federer's comeback (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466799)

mike danny 06-14-2013 09:47 AM

nadal's comeback vs federer's comeback

these 2 are the greatest of all time. i know nadal is not done yet but let's see which of their comebacks untill they won a slam was more impressive. federer's comeback period was us open 2011-wimby 2012 and nadal's was february 2013-french open 2013. so which was more impressive?

jg153040 06-14-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike danny (Post 7506915)
these 2 are the greatest of all time. i know nadal is not done yet but let's see which of their comebacks untill they won a slam was more impressive. federer's comeback period was us open 2011-wimby 2012 and nadal's was february 2013-french open 2013. so which was more impressive?

It's tough to compare. But were they really gone? Fed was there, he wasn't gone, he just wasn't winning slams.

Nadal also won a slam in 2012, so can you really say, he was away? He wasn't competing, but he was training very hard. He was lacking match play, but rest regenerated him also.

Saying this, Nadal was gone long, but Fed is old and has a family. Also we don't know if Nadal will get to nr.1 or win more slams this year. So a bit too early to say.

Sorana fan 06-14-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Nadal never stopped winning, it was just an injury that made him have to take a break, while Olderer hadnt won a GS for years, so the unexpected old man's fit is kind of susPEDicious, dont you think?

Lukhas 06-14-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorana fan (Post 7506984)
Nadal never stopped winning, it was just an injury that made him have to take a break, while Olderer hadnt won a GS for years, so the unexpected old man's fit is kind of susPEDicious, dont you think?

Yeah, he goes on drugs and still cannot do two 4 or 5 setters back to back. I don't recall him having a second round exit either after kicking some serious @ss in the previous season. :lol: Baseless assumptions everywhere!

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 10:25 AM

BrooklynNY 06-14-2013 10:29 AM

So now the guy who basically owns every consistency / consecutive streak record had a come back?

Russeljones 06-14-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Obviously the comeback of the guy who is considerably older.

single_handed_champion 06-14-2013 11:18 AM

Fed's was not a comeback. Nevertheless, the way he set about getting to no.1 through planning his schedule (he was not so arrogant as to only enter Slams and MS either; unlike others, I admire that about him, he really enjoys playing), and did it even though Djokovic was at his highest level ever.

While Nadal's run has been scary good, I think most people did not expect him to flop miserably, while hardly anyone expected Fed to return to no. 1 at his age. I will go with Federer here, even though it wasn't technically a comeback.

mightyrick 06-14-2013 11:45 AM

Agassi's comeback is the greatest.

snowwhite 06-14-2013 12:06 PM

LOL What comeback for Federer??!! He's been in every grand slam since forever, maybe the only player who is present in every grand slam

ctoth666 06-14-2013 12:12 PM

Nadal didn't make a comeback. That wasn't a comeback, not remotely. If Lebron James wins a second NBA championship, then takes off the entire 2013-'14 season, when he returns to competition and is still the best player in the NBA, it would not be a remarkable comeback. Andy Murray hasn't played since Rome, so is he making a remarkable comeback right now by winning at the Aegon Championships?

mike danny 06-14-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowwhite (Post 7507217)
LOL What comeback for Federer??!! He's been in every grand slam since forever, maybe the only player who is present in every grand slam

i am sure most people signed his retirement sentence after that major choke against djokovic. but maybe that loss was a blessing because it made him realise that something was indeed wrong with him and needed change. i do not know what he did but he really came back with renewed confidence. his psy must have bern a huge expert. he realised he still had the skill but the mind was not shere it was supposed to be.

mike danny 06-14-2013 12:21 PM

it would have been cool if borg had somehow made a federer or nafal comeback. it would have helped his legacy even more

snowwhite 06-14-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctoth666 (Post 7507229)
Nadal didn't make a comeback. That wasn't a comeback, not remotely.

When a player is absent for several months it's called a comeback, specially if it's in different years, I remember in 1997 Steffi Graf was absent after the French Open till the grass season the next year and it was called a comeback, for Murray, no it isn't, because Murray was playing till Rome 2013 and he withrdrew from the FO, and he's back now, that's it

ctoth666 06-14-2013 02:33 PM

The technical definition of a comeback is unimportant. Nadal's winning return to the tour was not a surprise, and neither did he prove anything other than what we already knew. The example that I gave with LBJ is very appropriate, and whether or not anyone calls it a "comeback" is irrelevant. I don't give Nadal any more credit for what he's accomplished than if he hadn't taken those 7 months off. If anything, the layoff would have benefited his game, and apparently it has.