Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   If Murray faces Nadal at Wimbledon... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=466816)

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 11:40 AM

If Murray faces Nadal at Wimbledon...
 
He will have almost no chances to win unless he can consistently find his DTL forehand with meaningful pace and vigour, otherwise Nadal just contains him and shows him up for his lack of weaponry - refer to previous matches at Wimbledon.

The key point is, Nadal can easily contain Murray's forehand with his own backhand in their never-ending and boring FH to BH strategic exchanges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTS6_VBnNBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMYPWSfRR0

Points updated in OP as they come through, like in the Djokovic thread:

- No, the more key point is one of mentality
- Murray's forehand has improved since then
- Nadal's backhand side is weaker post injury?

- Different context now, Murray turned the corner in 2012, made the Wimbledon final and beat Federer in a best of 5 match on grass at the Olympic Games.

Nadal will lose. - Clarky21 /thread

dudeski 06-14-2013 11:43 AM

Murray in 4 if he plays like he did in 2012. Andy should be done with his mental midgetry now that he is a slam winner.

Goosehead 06-14-2013 11:44 AM

you are living in the past..murray is different mentally thanks to lendl, and his fh can waste nadals post injury weaker bh side.

Tennis Fanatic 070 06-14-2013 11:48 AM

Just wanted to share this with you guys, a moment of brilliance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHpjpTlTf78

bullfan 06-14-2013 11:48 AM

Is this a philosophical post?

Murray's stumbling block against Nadal will be more mental than anything else in my opinion.

Murray has the game to beat him, but has to step up mentally to defeat Nadal on grass. Of course, Rafa should have confidence from his year thus far, but I wonder how his body is holding up.

NatF 06-14-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 7507289)
He will have almost no chances to win unless he can consistently find his DTL forehand with meaningful pace and vigour, otherwise Nadal just contains him and shows him up for his lack of weaponry - refer to previous matches at Wimbledon.

The key point is, Nadal can easily contain Murray's forehand with his own backhand in their never-ending and boring FH to BH strategic exchanges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTS6_VBnNBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tMYPWSfRR0

Murray's forehand has improved ALOT since their last meeting, I expect Murray to have the edge in their next encounter.

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullfan (Post 7507312)
Is this a philosophical post?

Murray's stumbling block against Nadal will be more mental than anything else in my opinion.

Murray has the game to beat him, but has to step up mentally to defeat Nadal on grass. Of course, Rafa should have confidence from his year thus far, but I wonder how his body is holding up.

:lol:

Not on this occasion. This time I'm being frank and literal. ;)


I just think Nadal finds a comfort zone against Murray and trusts in himself more to redirect the play with force and strong initiation during the course of their well documented prolonged and incessant cross-court exchanges.

papertank 06-14-2013 11:50 AM

Murray could win, but he has to a play a air-tight game with no lapses in concentration or Rafa will overtake him easily. Murray's forehand has gotten a lot better, but he's gotten just a little less consistant as well, and if he's going to beat Rafa he can't be inconsistant. Also, if it goes to 5, I'd easily favor Rafa.

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatF (Post 7507313)
Murray's forehand has improved ALOT since their last meeting, I expect Murray to have the edge in their next encounter.

I have to agree, it has improved. I'm keeping a very close eye on his forehand through Queens and will be continuing to through Wimbledon.

dudeski 06-14-2013 11:51 AM

Hopefully after Nadal loses before Wimbledon final all those "Nadal is invincible" threads will stop for a year.

bullfan 06-14-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 7507314)
:lol:

Not on this occasion. This time I'm being frank and literal. ;)


I just think Nadal finds a comfort zone against Murray and trusts in himself more to redirect the play with force and strong initiation during the course of their well documented prolonged and incessant cross-court exchanges.

I agree, but that was before Ivan! Andy is getting more aggressive now, and that's why I think it's a mental game for Andy.

dudeski 06-14-2013 11:53 AM

Didn't we just witness Nadal's 2nd worse performance at FO ever? Why all the threads?

Clarky21 06-14-2013 11:55 AM

Nadal will lose.

NatF 06-14-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathaniel_Near (Post 7507319)
I have to agree, it has improved. I'm keeping a very close eye on his forehand through Queens and will be continuing to through Wimbledon.

He's hitting it pretty hard so far at Queens I think, he's a strong guy he can get alot of pace on both wings when he wants. I certainly think he'll be winning exchanges with Nadal's backhand. He will definately have to go down the line though, it's the only way to keep Nadal honest.

WhiskeyEE 06-14-2013 12:00 PM

Murray was impressive last grass season. I think he'd win handily; not that Nadal will make it that far.

Nathaniel_Near 06-14-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NatF (Post 7507341)
He's hitting it pretty hard so far at Queens I think, he's a strong guy he can get alot of pace on both wings when he wants. I certainly think he'll be winning exchanges with Nadal's backhand. He will definately have to go down the line though, it's the only way to keep Nadal honest.

Exactly, and when the space is created as a result of these redirections of attack, it will need to be pounced upon.

But hey, maybe they'll be in different halves of the draw, maybe they won't meet, maybe Rosol will draw Murray in R2.

Russeljones 06-14-2013 12:03 PM

Murray is a clear favourite for me.

cc0509 06-14-2013 12:06 PM

Murray may have the game to beat Nadal on grass but I am not sure he has the mentality to do so at W in best of five. Murray is 0-3 vs Nadal at W. Murray has improved a lot on grass but Nadal also looks pretty good to me so far this year.

If somebody put a gun to my head right now I would say Nadal will beat Murray at W this year if they meet unless Murray can really summon that killer instinct against Nadal.

bullfan 06-14-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeski (Post 7507326)
Didn't we just witness Nadal's 2nd worse performance at FO ever? Why all the threads?

It's sad for the others, when Nadals coming of an injury, and in his 2nd worst match, he gave out a breadstick. I think the Isner match that went to 5 had more drama.

cc0509 06-14-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyEE (Post 7507349)
Murray was impressive last grass season. I think he'd win handily; not that Nadal will make it that far.

Murray was very impressive last year at W and the Olympics against an old and declining Federer and Djokovic (who is not a great grass court player.) I am not sure if that is enough for Murray to beat Nadal on grass if the two should meet. He is in awe of Nadal in a way he is not about Federer or Djokovic.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse